Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115941 times)

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11895 on: May 26, 2011, 11:41:41 am »

Build a furniture stockpile to store bins, barrels?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

nenico87

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11896 on: May 26, 2011, 11:46:46 am »

Build a furniture stockpile to store bins, barrels?

have 15x15 stockpile only for containers

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11897 on: May 26, 2011, 12:19:16 pm »

Axes are a good all-purpose weapon, yes.

For traps, I believe that the weapons designed for traps are better, since they are larger. Some also hit three times per trigger.
Axes are very choppy Dwarfy.  I don't think I've ever encountered something an Axe couldn't put an end to.

For traps, yeah, go with the purpose built (serrated disks are great).  Unless you can get a lot of whips... whip traps are awesome.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11898 on: May 26, 2011, 12:27:48 pm »

How old can Dwarves get before old age claims them?

If your dwarves are surviving long enough for you to wonder about that, you're doing something wrong :P

In all seriousness, I believe that, provided they don't get themselves killed due to injury or illness, they live forever.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11899 on: May 26, 2011, 01:06:03 pm »

i have approx. 30 wooden bins and finished goods are laying on ground... my craft dwarfs spending sooo munch time on making this, and carriers just throw it on ground... i don't like this...

At least with the default stockpile settings (I never mess with them), when a brand new stockpile is declared, the first thing your dwarves will want to do is allocate 1 barrel or bin for it, depending on what kind of stockpile it is.  Let's say it's a finished goods stockpile, and therefore a bin.  This bin will be assigned to the stockpile from wherever it currently is, and eventually a "Move item to stockpile" job will be queued and (if all goes well) performed.  This will leave you with a stockpile containing one bin and probably a whole bunch of non-binned finished goods, on the floor, which were moved during this same time period.

At this point, your dwarves will notice that there is an empty bin in a finished goods stockpile full of finished goods, and the game will generate 10 (or so) "Put item in bin" jobs, which a small dwarfswarm will move into the stockpile and perform.  Then your dwarves will notice that there is no longer an empty bin in the finished goods stockpile, so they will generate another "Move item to stockpile" job and bring in another bin.  Meanwhile, the 10 floor spots that were just cleared up by filling the first bin will generate another 10 "Move item to stockpile" jobs for 10 more finished goods.

And so on, until the stockpile is full.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11900 on: May 26, 2011, 01:07:53 pm »

Dwarves have [MAXAGE:150:170], so they will die of old age between 150 and 170 years old.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11901 on: May 26, 2011, 01:24:01 pm »

Is there a way to zoom in without distortion? I use a 9x9 tileset but it's rather too tiny for my liking. Would I be better off just resizing it?

EDIT: Also, does a green glass floor, used as a roof, prevent cave adaptation? If not, what about a bridge?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:15:24 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11902 on: May 26, 2011, 04:33:36 pm »

How old can Dwarves get before old age claims them?

If your dwarves are surviving long enough for you to wonder about that, you're doing something wrong :P

In all seriousness, I believe that, provided they don't get themselves killed due to injury or illness, they live forever.
Only fort I've seen last long enough to have dwarves die of old age is Blocklanced, but it can happen.

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11903 on: May 26, 2011, 06:42:13 pm »

Can multiple pressure plates be linked to the same object?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11904 on: May 26, 2011, 06:58:19 pm »

Can multiple pressure plates be linked to the same object?

Yes.  The object will in general obey the most recent command it has received.  The only exception is for objects which have a delay before acting, such as bridges, which will ignore any commands which are received during that delay period.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #11905 on: May 26, 2011, 07:23:41 pm »

Is there a way to zoom in without distortion? I use a 9x9 tileset but it's rather too tiny for my liking. Would I be better off just resizing it?

EDIT: Also, does a green glass floor, used as a roof, prevent cave adaptation? If not, what about a bridge?

I don't think either of those 2 prevent cave adaptation. However, any tile of ground that has ever been exposed to sunlight will be considered an "outdoors" tile.

So technically if you a skylight with a glass/bridge ceiling, it's the ground that actually exposes the dwarves to sunlight.

You can't zoom in without distortion if you use a low-res tileset, unless you know about the magical powers of CSI teams.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:25:21 pm by Acperience »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11906 on: May 26, 2011, 08:04:23 pm »

Do ashes left behind by fires ever go away?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11907 on: May 26, 2011, 08:27:17 pm »

I believe rain can wash those away. I may be mistaken.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11908 on: May 26, 2011, 09:15:00 pm »

Do ashes left behind by fires ever go away?
On my map the grass always grows back eventually.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11909 on: May 26, 2011, 09:47:59 pm »

So I have a question:  I've got at least one, and I'm pretty sure two, merchant guard ghosts whose names don't show up on the engrave slab menu.  Apparently this is a known bug.  Does anyone know how (and can explain how) to do a workaround for this?
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 1178