Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1115954 times)

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11775 on: May 21, 2011, 08:28:54 pm »

One of my soldiers was injured fighting, and was brought to the hospital, but no one is feeding, watering (Is that the right word? Sounds like a plant), or diagnosing her. Can I fix this or is the soldier essentially dead?
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11776 on: May 21, 2011, 08:42:21 pm »

I've also noticed that hunters won't do their jobs if you don't have ammo for them to use. Try setting one of your craft shops to make some wood/bone bolts and make sure to go to the military screen and set you hunters up with the right ammo. (Should be already done by default, but it never hurts to check.)

Also make sure you have enough quivers.  A hunter can't work unless she gets a crossbow, a quiver, and some bolts.

Also, as for shearers and milkers... Sometimes, they will be doing there jobs and taking animals to the workshop to be shorn/milked. But if your herd animals are set to a certain pasture and the rest of your dwarfs have animal hauling enabled, they will drag the animals out of the workshop causing a tug-of-war situation.

That bug was fixed (I don't remember precisely when, but it's not present in 0.31.25).

The most common cause of "no shearing is going on" is that none of the animals are ready to be shorn.  Each animal only gets shorn about 1 time per year, so you'll need a whole lotta animals to keep a shearer busy year-round.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11777 on: May 21, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »

I've got everything the hospital is asking but there is still no crutches, splints, powder, buckets or soap in my hospital. I tried patience but its been seasons. Why wont they store the stuff?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11778 on: May 21, 2011, 09:01:46 pm »

One of my soldiers was injured fighting, and was brought to the hospital, but no one is feeding, watering (Is that the right word? Sounds like a plant), or diagnosing her. Can I fix this or is the soldier essentially dead?

Diagnosis is performed by the Chief Medical Dwarf. Have you assigned a dwarf to this position? Does that dwarf have the "diagnosis" labor turned on? Is that dwarf free from other tasks and able to access the hospital?

Do you have a water source available to your dwarves? (Patients can only be given water, not booze.) Is the hospital stocked with buckets that a dwarf could use to water the patient? Are there dwarves with the patient care labor turned on, and do they have nothing else to do?

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11779 on: May 21, 2011, 09:02:50 pm »

I've got everything the hospital is asking but there is still no crutches, splints, powder, buckets or soap in my hospital. I tried patience but its been seasons. Why wont they store the stuff?

Have you built some containers in your hospital zone? (It needs boxes and bags to store that stuff in.) Have you set the hospital to keep some of each of those items in stock in the activity zone properties?

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11780 on: May 21, 2011, 09:36:09 pm »

Containers are in there yes and as for the stocks they are as they were, worked fine for threads and cloths. Ive made 10 crutches and splints and the hospital still reads 0/5. Same for powder and soap and buckets.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11781 on: May 21, 2011, 09:42:20 pm »

Are they all filled with thread and cloth? That happens if you build all your containers at once.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11782 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »

Also make sure that a) it's zoned as a hospital using (i), and b) you don't have any offices/bedrooms/other "claimed" rooms overlapping the containers. That'll keep them from getting filled.

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11783 on: May 21, 2011, 10:22:00 pm »

Snip
I've got everything, and all my other wounded people have been treated and discharged, but all my medics are wandering around either doing other stuff or being idle.
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11784 on: May 21, 2011, 10:38:06 pm »

When you adjust the hospital settings, all the stuff you specify is reserved for the hospital. The coffers and chests just make the supplies more handy for the docs
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11785 on: May 21, 2011, 10:41:38 pm »

You need to create a noble position for a doctor (it's on the list) and assign the diagnose option to them.  It would probably be best to remove all other jobs from this dwarf's responsibilities, including feed/water and retrieve in the health options.

Assign a couple flunky dwarves for cleaning duty and retrieve & feed & water tasks and remove all their other tasks.

This is assuming you have a fortress that's not population challenged.  If you have a sherriff, you will want to have them have no jobs at all, ideally, but I typically assign them to feed/water so they take care of any prisoners they might imprison.

The recent fixes to medical stuff might mean it is no longer necessary to remove the feed/water job from your chief medical dwarf.  Unsure.  It became a habit to never assign that job to my chief medical dwarf.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

El Payaso Malo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11786 on: May 21, 2011, 10:54:22 pm »

I recently had a goblin siege that only left about 13% of the population alive because my military sucks. I guess I'm still getting used to the military system because I'm stupid. Anyway, I'm in the process of entombing the fallen and I'm trying to train a war wolf. I bought a caged wolf from elves before the siege, but the animal trainer that didn't get slaughtered in the siege says that there's no trainable animal anywhere. What's going on?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11787 on: May 21, 2011, 11:16:22 pm »

Sadly, wolves are not trainable into war animals.

I was most upset when I discovered this.

You can edit the RAWs (I'm not sure how, sorry) to make them trainable, though.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11788 on: May 21, 2011, 11:28:33 pm »

I had a bunch of marksmen practicing and all was well until lately, they now cannot follow orders. disbanded and rebuilt the squad. They practiced for a few weeks and now, yet again, they all cannot follow orders. Any idea?

El Payaso Malo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11789 on: May 21, 2011, 11:30:52 pm »

That sucks. That was literally the only reason I purchased said wolf.
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 1178