Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116221 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11670 on: May 19, 2011, 09:10:56 am »

So, artifact doors and hatches and shit - can bronze colossuses destroy those?
If you ask, then you already know.

No.

So if I put an artifact door in front of the entrance to my fort, it'll be sealed securely forever.

Kinky.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11671 on: May 19, 2011, 09:14:54 am »

So if I put an artifact door in front of the entrance to my fort, it'll be sealed securely forever.
Unless the remains of a butterfly or whatnot manages to wedge itself in and prevent the closing of the door.

The most secure is still a drawbridge, since the only thing preventing closing is a large beast (Elephant, FBs...) on top of it, but at that point it's too late anyway.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: May 19, 2011, 09:29:58 am »

Wasn't there a thread recently about how invader won't path through a jammed door? That butterfly could save the fort.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11673 on: May 19, 2011, 09:37:21 am »

Has the "Improved Hauling" or "Reduce FPS Death" updates occurred yet? (Haven't followed the recent updates closely)

No. Lately Toady has been improving worldgen's city maps so that shops and marketplaces will have someplace to go, and then he's been enriching the night creature mechanisms, introducing necromancers and contagious curses, things like that.

any way of knowing approximatively if an embark spot has 50 Z layers or ... 1000 ? People with beards want to know!

edit: I meant before hand! Like: embark in high mountain, etc.

In my experience, within a particular world, embarking at higher elevation (i.e. in the mountains) does indeed mean more layers and embarking in a low-elevation river valley or at the coast means fewer. There is usually more variation between worlds than within a world, however, and the depth of the world will depend on your advanced worldgen settings.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: May 19, 2011, 09:39:55 am »

Wasn't there a thread recently about how invader won't path through a jammed door? That butterfly could save the fort.
Maybe building destroyers, who are waiting for the door to close to destroy it. I don't remember reading anything about pathfinding being prevented through locked doors jammed open, even for wild and enemy creatures.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

cockroachman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11675 on: May 19, 2011, 10:40:43 am »

Hey guys. I need help with my lazy dwarfs.

1. I have several workshops that are cluttered up the wazoo but nobody will remove the items.

2. I demolish one Workshop to see if the lazy bums would move the cluttered items into their respective stockpiles, nobody touches them now.

3. How do you stop immigration waves? I can't really handle more than 40 dwarf's and I only want to have at most 30.

Thanks in advance guys for any and all help diverted my way.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11676 on: May 19, 2011, 10:50:09 am »

1. & 2. Make sure :
The items are not set as forbidden/dump
You have stockpiles for these items, and they are not full
The stockpile settings permit the storage of these particular material/quality items
Your dwarves have the right hauling labor on and are idle
Dwarves have access to both stockpiles and items (watch out for burrows)

What are the items exactly?

3. Locate the d_init.txt file in the game directories. The default file has the following line.
[POPULATION_CAP:200]
Change the number to what you want, or maybe 10 under since migrants stop coming 1 or 2 waves after the cap is reached.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:58:50 am by Marthnn »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11677 on: May 19, 2011, 10:55:14 am »

Also check your (o)rders menu to ensure that the category of item in question is not set to ignore.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

cockroachman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11678 on: May 19, 2011, 11:01:27 am »

Thanks for the Lightning Fast responses guys.

1. The items were not set as (Forbidden/Dump)
2. Stockpiles were not full and I had set up custom piles to take multiple types of items.
3. There are like 10 Dwarf's with the proper Hauling Labor On.
4. No burrows were set.
5. The items included Blocks of Slitstone, Wooden Bin and Barrels, a Weapons Bin, and an Armor Bin.

And I did not know that little bit about the Pop Cap, thanks.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11679 on: May 19, 2011, 11:04:45 am »

I want to move back to v 31.8 any one know where I can find the Mike mayday version of that? Or the tile set by its self?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11680 on: May 19, 2011, 11:18:20 am »

Thanks for the Lightning Fast responses guys.

2. Stockpiles were not full and I had set up custom piles to take multiple types of items.

Do your custom stockpiles actually permit bins?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

cockroachman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11681 on: May 19, 2011, 11:29:00 am »

Yes they do. I caught that little tibit earlier when I thought I solved the problem.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11682 on: May 19, 2011, 11:46:44 am »

5. The items included Blocks of Slitstone, Wooden Bin and Barrels, a Weapons Bin, and an Armor Bin.
What? You had weapon and armor bins in your workshop? How-...

Are the bins numbered? Such as <#142> at the end. If so, they are already assigned to a stockpile and should get stored eventually (if nothing else is in the way).

I want to move back to v 31.8 any one know where I can find the Mike mayday version of that? Or the tile set by its self?
I think I've never played that version, and I can't see why you would want to. Also, I've never used mayday, tilesets, mods, etc. Which explains why I haven't answered your call. Yet. Now I just did. Not very helpful I bet.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:18:31 pm by Marthnn »

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11683 on: May 19, 2011, 11:55:32 am »

How do I stop my legendary miners throwing their picks to one side when I draft them into the military?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11684 on: May 19, 2011, 11:59:37 am »

How do I stop my legendary miners throwing their picks to one side when I draft them into the military?
You don't draft them to the military.

Mining, hunting and woodcutting have hardcoded uniforms/equipment incompatible with the military one. Either don't draft them or desactivate that labor.

Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 1178