Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116212 times)

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11640 on: May 18, 2011, 02:02:59 pm »

Ive noticed that once a lower ranking dork has equipment, its not always re-assigned i.e: Urilst McGeneral has a Uniform of Candy assigned to him, Urist McPrivate has a metal uniform. Because Candy is metal the Private can grab it, but wont swap it in favour of giving the more specific item to the General.
This is why I always have at hand an empty uniform set as "exact match". When I see too many soldiers wearing the wrong equip or missing some pieces, I give them the empty uniform, unpause several seconds and reset their uniform. They will reassign everything properly, and your general will get his candy.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11641 on: May 18, 2011, 02:04:47 pm »

Im having a problem getting my dorfs to farm. I have 2 plots set up (one outside and one underground). They are running low on food but yet refuse to farm. I've made sure that several dwarfs have the correct job. I even have a 2 dwarfs with farmer as their job title. I have plenty of seeds and fertilized fields. I've irrigated them and all. Still no farming...

This has happened to me before and some times results in the death of a fort. If I can hold out till the end of this year my liaison should be bringing some food.
Is there any way to possibly increase the job priority of farming?

Edit: I changed what needs to be planted this season and they started working on one plot. But am I going to need to do this every season?

sounds silly: are you sure you have seeds of the right kind selected? and do you actually have them in stock? are all the farming related stuff active?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: May 18, 2011, 02:09:46 pm »

I'll try, thanks. :) My MCom has no treatments scheduled though, so I assume he'll be about his business once he's awake.
MCom is back to work but the peasant still counted as no job rather than rest. I removed the bed but can't place a new one beneath him, obviously. I've designated the area around him as hospital now and hopefully my two idle doctors'll take care of him.  ::) He's been quite useful to me, so I'd prefer to keep him alive.

Edit; ah, he's been moved to the real hospital. Jubilations!
Edit2; He done got fixed.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:28:07 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11643 on: May 18, 2011, 02:16:06 pm »

sounds silly: are you sure you have seeds of the right kind selected? and do you actually have them in stock? are all the farming related stuff active?
yes. they will farm if i change what needs to be planted it seems. even if i change it back to what i originaly told them to plant. but only at my above ground plot.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11644 on: May 18, 2011, 02:22:48 pm »

"free" seeds are listed under z - kitchens. This is a good quick place to check levels of available seeds.

You didn't channel away any of the roof above the underground farm did you? This will wreck the farm even if you roof over it again (some is aboveground, some belowground - not good)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11645 on: May 18, 2011, 02:29:24 pm »

I did.....lame sauce.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11646 on: May 18, 2011, 03:02:16 pm »

Well now you know how to combine above ground and below ground farms into a single complex ;)

If I were you i'd square off the bit that has holes in the roof, and put both types of farm side-by-side. (be careful and channel the rest in strips to avoid cave-ins). Deconstruct the belowground farm(s) and rebuild in an area that's never been "aboveground". Put an aboveground farm in the old spot.

Myself, I dig half the farm as normal, for belowground crops, and channel the ceiling of the other half, without digging under it first - this avoids cave-ins. Then, I roof over the "aboveground" farm for safety.

Think positive, and you've just learnt two things - why you stuffed up, and how to totally exploit that feature in current and future forts.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:14:38 pm by Reelyanoob »

JonBrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: May 18, 2011, 03:15:16 pm »

I always stay away from putting females in my military because, well, I just don't imagine they'd be as good. Are they inferior to males by default? I know the attributes matter, but given a male and female dorf with the same attributes, are females less useful for military duty? My current fortress somehow has almost 3/4 females oO"

Nvm. Was answered earlier in the thread. Only "drawback" seems to be that females get extra armor in the form of a baby. Yay! 2 shields!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:26:03 pm by JonBrant »
JonBrant has been possessed!
JonBrant claims a computer!
JonBrant has begun a mysterious construction!
JonBrant has completed Kitten Blood Waterfall!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11648 on: May 18, 2011, 03:26:16 pm »

I always stay away from putting females in my military because, well, I just don't imagine they'd be as good. Are they inferior to males by default? I know the attributes matter, but given a male and female dorf with the same attributes, are females less useful for military duty? My current fortress somehow has almost 3/4 females oO"

From creature_standard.txt:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:DWARF]

[CASTE:FEMALE]
The gender tag lets it know how breeding works.
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
To add beards, put square brackets around the following:
BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]

This command lets you select all of the castes again.

[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]

So, no.  The only difference between male and female dwarves is that males have beards and females can give birth.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JonBrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11649 on: May 18, 2011, 03:26:49 pm »

Thanks. I really should learn how to read the raws
JonBrant has been possessed!
JonBrant claims a computer!
JonBrant has begun a mysterious construction!
JonBrant has completed Kitten Blood Waterfall!

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11650 on: May 18, 2011, 06:05:50 pm »

I always stay away from putting females in my military because, well, I just don't imagine they'd be as good. Are they inferior to males by default?

No.  Why would they be?

Females aren't inferior to males in real life, why would Toady code something like that into his game?

Nvm. Was answered earlier in the thread. Only "drawback" seems to be that females get extra armor in the form of a baby. Yay! 2 shields!

Honestly, that is the only drawback.  It's something I think about when assigning Dwarfs to the military. Being unable to stop them from breeding means if I don't want to risk the babies, I put fems into the Marksdwarf Squads.

Hopefuly at some point Toady will add Childcare jobs so specific Dwarfs can be assigned as Nursemaids/lads and Au Pairs.

Or even just allow us to assign them to a pen... or a leash... or a cage.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11651 on: May 18, 2011, 06:26:50 pm »

Ive noticed that once a lower ranking dork has equipment, its not always re-assigned i.e: Urilst McGeneral has a Uniform of Candy assigned to him, Urist McPrivate has a metal uniform. Because Candy is metal the Private can grab it, but wont swap it in favour of giving the more specific item to the General.
This is why I always have at hand an empty uniform set as "exact match". When I see too many soldiers wearing the wrong equip or missing some pieces, I give them the empty uniform, unpause several seconds and reset their uniform. They will reassign everything properly, and your general will get his candy.

Cool, ive managed to sort out the Uniforms, also they have a proper set of layers instead of the default "Naked Dwarf rattling around inside a metal breastplate" :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11652 on: May 18, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »

How do I delete saved embark orders?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: May 18, 2011, 08:48:50 pm »

How do I delete saved embark orders?
Dwarf\data\init\embark_profiles.txt

Edit this file. It's also something you can back-up if you reinstall. Actually everything under "init" is user settings, so back up the whole init folder.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:54:40 pm by Reelyanoob »

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11654 on: May 18, 2011, 09:12:23 pm »

Thank you.
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 1178