Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1122522 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11355 on: May 10, 2011, 10:41:39 am »

Finally gotten 'round to playing .25 (and learned the hard way that I actually need to feed those grazers...)

So, my questions, if you are in a kindly mood to answer me...

I always embark on a mountain - I try and keep at least half of my embark area (my computer can handle a 5x5 embark area at max) mountain. How do I go about finding the magma in there...? Do I just sorta pick a random direction and dig, or do I have to dig a stack of z-levels down too? And does the same method work for finding adamantine?

And, question two, relating to the embarkation screen: What symbol does a volcano have? I have decided I desire to see if I cannot plug enough holes in the side of the volcano to make it leak more magma than it generates, yet I seem to have trouble, well, finding a volcano to test this on.

Thanks all for your (future) help!

(I can't wait to not be referred to as an escaped lunatic...)
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11356 on: May 10, 2011, 11:00:44 am »

Depends on the screen. In the middle screen, a volcano is a ^. In the local screen the volcano is a red double ~.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11357 on: May 10, 2011, 11:08:40 am »

I always embark on a mountain - I try and keep at least half of my embark area (my computer can handle a 5x5 embark area at max) mountain. How do I go about finding the magma in there...? Do I just sorta pick a random direction and dig, or do I have to dig a stack of z-levels down too? And does the same method work for finding adamantine?
As long as you don't disable it in worldgen, every map square has magma if you dig deep enough. As for adamantine, once you expose the magma sea, you should see some veins poking through it.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11358 on: May 10, 2011, 11:55:25 am »

Is there any way to force a diplomat to leave without actually meeting him?

I locked the world out years ago, but the Mountainhomes insist on sending a fresh liaison every year. None of them ever starve, and none of them ever leave, so now I've got 17 of the bastards chilling outside my fort.

If I do let them in I'll get 17 trade agreements. If I kill them (and it would be easy, just turn invaders back on) I'll have to make memorials for all 17 or be haunted. Which would mean I;d have to find all 17 of the twits on the memorials list...

I just want these dummies to get the diplomacy stymied message and go away.

Nick

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11359 on: May 10, 2011, 12:16:18 pm »

Replace your leader.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11360 on: May 10, 2011, 12:43:35 pm »

Replace your leader.
Easier said then done.

My leader is a mother to more then a fourth of my dwarves, add in the husband and 22 friends and she's close to 58% of the fortress. So killing her would lead to Fun, electing a new Mayor will take years, and making a Baron would require meeting at least one of the 17 diplomats.

I may be stuck with these guys for awhile.

Nick

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11361 on: May 10, 2011, 01:12:41 pm »

Replace your leader.
Easier said then done.
Going to the (n)obles screen, you can (r)eplace your current expedition leader or mayor. I think that's what he meant.

Aurum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11362 on: May 10, 2011, 02:24:31 pm »

On my embark screen, the wiki says that at the bottom right I should see layers.

Instead I see info like "Shallow Metals" and "Flux Stone"

However, it seems to display a max of 4 stats, plus Aquifer (if present.)

So, if my embark zone covers shallow and deep metals, clay, soil and flux stone, only four of those are displayed. If I cycle biomes I can see all 5, in their individual groups.

Is there some setting I can change to see layers?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11363 on: May 10, 2011, 02:44:05 pm »

On my embark screen, the wiki says that at the bottom right I should see layers.

Instead I see info like "Shallow Metals" and "Flux Stone"

However, it seems to display a max of 4 stats, plus Aquifer (if present.)

So, if my embark zone covers shallow and deep metals, clay, soil and flux stone, only four of those are displayed. If I cycle biomes I can see all 5, in their individual groups.

Is there some setting I can change to see layers?
The layers were shown on the embark screen in older versions. If you want to the layers ahead of time, use an older version.

The reason you're not seeing all the thing in your embark is because it contains multiple biomes, and the embark screen only shows one biome at a time.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11364 on: May 10, 2011, 05:37:55 pm »

Can dwarves see up through fortifications? For example, consider the following:

Code: [Select]
__#__g__
D_______

Can the dwarf on the level below see the goblin above, or would he be able to depending on where the goblin stood?
I ask because I'm getting job cancellations from dwarves in my barracks due to "Goblin Crossbowmen", and the only living goblins in my fortress are either caged, or in a danger-room/firing range area set up like above.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11365 on: May 10, 2011, 05:53:04 pm »

How can I see the populations of civilizations? I want to make sure that the goblins are strong and plentiful in my world before I embark.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11366 on: May 10, 2011, 05:58:52 pm »

How can I see the populations of civilizations? I want to make sure that the goblins are strong and plentiful in my world before I embark.
Third party utilities like World Viewer, which IIRC is outdated and I don't think anything similar is updated.

I have 2 questions:
   1. What does ctrl+s do?
   2. One of my dwarfs (a master miner) says she has no job when practically miles of stones are designated and (the worst part) she won't leave the mine to eat, drink, sleep, or for any other reason. I'm pretty sure I undid the raw mods from another world, the error log is empty, and she wasn't assigned to a burrow when this started (later gve him one on the food pile but he still won't move). What is going on and how can I subvert/work around/stop it.
Help would be appreciated. :)

edit: I think I've found a work around. Add them to a burrow and later destroy it. Unfortunately she decides to work while practically dehydrated so she'll probably still die.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:08:34 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11367 on: May 10, 2011, 06:12:54 pm »

Third party utilities like World Viewer, which IIRC is outdated and I don't think anything similar is updated.

I have 2 questions:
   1. What does ctrl+s do?
Saves the last recorded macro.

2. One of my dwarfs (a master miner) says she has no job when practically miles of stones are designated and (the worst part) she won't leave the mine to eat, drink, sleep, or for any other reason. I'm pretty sure I undid the raw mods from another world, the error log is empty, and she wasn't assigned to a burrow when this started (later gve him one on the food pile but he still won't move). What is going on and how can I subvert/work around/stop it.
Help would be appreciated. :)

edit: I think I've found a work around. Add them to a burrow and later destroy it. Unfortunately she decides to work while practically dehydrated so she'll probably still die.
Make sure they're not trapped or assigned to burrows anywhere.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11368 on: May 10, 2011, 06:17:15 pm »

You have probably stranded her at the bottom of a pit by screwing up digging ramps.  It is very easy to accidentally have a miner mine themselves into a hole they can't walk out of by destroying the ramp they used to get down there.  Ramps need a wall with a walkable floor on top of it next to them in order for a dwarf to be able to use them.  A ramp surrounded by open floor on all sides isn't usable.  Neither is one in which any wall next to it doesn't have a walkable floor on top of them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11369 on: May 10, 2011, 06:37:41 pm »

I still don't know what was wrong but it definately was't burrows or being stranded, because when I did the burrow un-burrow thing she walked right off, mined 1 tile, and gorged herself on much needed food. I still do't get why she ignores the burrows and meeting areas though. I just took off all high maintenance jobs so she would become ecstatic from my fantastic dining room, but she just started walking off with no job toward the mine. ???

Normally I wouldn't care but she nearly starved and dehydrated less than a week ago and angry dwarves are tantruming dwarves.

edit: So she gets to the bottom of the mine (where she was when she glitched) and just started pacing the 1 wide corridors for a bit and starts right back to the surface from the mine (its in a different location from the fort
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:42:17 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 1178