Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120586 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11235 on: May 05, 2011, 02:18:48 pm »

Mining pick is listed as edge weapon. Should I make mining picks out of funobtanium, or should I stick to steel? I want to mine goblinite.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11236 on: May 05, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »

Mining pick is listed as edge weapon. Should I make mining picks out of funobtanium, or should I stick to steel? I want to mine goblinite.
Both should be good. While picks do count as edged weapons, they have a large striking area that can easity shear off limbs, so a little heft can be good too.

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11237 on: May 05, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »

I was just wondering. If you ignore completely the issues of clothing, what happens to your dwarves? In all of my fortresses, I have never thought of what my dwarves are wearing. What happens to their clothes, and does it affect their mood?
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11238 on: May 05, 2011, 04:41:52 pm »

Their clothes become tattered, and over time they wear away and fall off, leaving the entire fortress running around stark naked. This has no effect on their moods, though it does leave them (slightly) less well protected against attacks.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: May 05, 2011, 04:48:04 pm »

Actually, I believe there is a temporary bad though right when their clothes finally rot away.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: May 05, 2011, 05:15:12 pm »

I was just wondering. If you ignore completely the issues of clothing, what happens to your dwarves? In all of my fortresses, I have never thought of what my dwarves are wearing. What happens to their clothes, and does it affect their mood?

Nothing much happens to them, clothing only seems to take importance when they go outside for an extended amount of time like on migrations, and then the wearing of clothes seems to be merely an issue of convention rather than providing any signoficant function.

Current version: Has the issue of your militia occassionally shorning off equipment  like weapons and shields but still showing themselves equipped in the equipment screen been solved yet?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: May 05, 2011, 07:55:11 pm »

Why is my weapon trap pale? Did too many goblins walk over it, setting off all 10 bronze serrated discs? How do I reset it? Do they discs disappear after being used?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11242 on: May 05, 2011, 10:52:37 pm »

Why is my weapon trap pale? Did too many goblins walk over it, setting off all 10 bronze serrated discs? How do I reset it? Do they discs disappear after being used?

It's probably covered in blood or some other fluid. DFhacks cleanmap will take care of that, and is a must for any murderous fortress that doesn't want to die a meta-death.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: May 05, 2011, 10:59:11 pm »

Why isn't the violent ghost fisherdwarf showing up in the carve memorial slab option!?

HELP!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11244 on: May 05, 2011, 11:02:07 pm »

Why isn't the violent ghost fisherdwarf showing up in the carve memorial slab option!?

HELP!

Is this a reclaim? In my experience, the only creatures that show up on the "carve memorial slab" list are those that have died during that particular fort's lifetime, and then only your fortress citizens and named enemies (invaders/megabeasts/titans/FBs). Dwarves that died before a reclaim can be a problem.

An odd question from me: is there any program or online flash/java thing out there that will let me test-model a megaproject? I'm trying to design a dwarf head but I want to see it first before I try constructing it, however I can't find anything to make such a model.
EDIT: My Google-fu came through; for anyone else looking for such a thing, a 3d pixel editor such as Q-Block or Cubescape can help.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:11:06 am by CapnUrist »
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: May 05, 2011, 11:04:38 pm »

Yeah, it's a reclaim.

There's also several completely blank spaces that just say "Carve memorial"

Is there a program I could use to permanently remove the ghost?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:07:17 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: May 06, 2011, 12:18:36 am »

Not to my knowledge, no. If ghosts are considered a separate creature you make by able to make it blow up using Runesmith, but I doubt they are.

My chief medical dwarf has been repeatedly diagnosing the same two dwarves over and over for over a year now, one a child and the other one of my legendary engravers.  They both have at least 3 limb fractures, and the time they've spent in bed without actual treatment has resulted in infections in all wounds for them both. To give an example of how ridiculous this is, the child has been "evaluated" 47 times without any other treatment, the first 17 times being within the same month he was brought to the hospital; there are stretches of day-after-day evaluations throughout the list.

Is there any explanation to this madness? My CMD is a proficient diagnostician now; at least he's getting experience; he was a novice when I assigned him.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11247 on: May 06, 2011, 12:35:46 am »

Will un-memorialized dead non-dwarfs respawn as ghosts? A human caravan guard dodged a goblin marksman into the deep river and drowned in there. I could try to heroically rescue the corpse but that'd be a difficult project involving flooding the surroundings with river water.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11248 on: May 06, 2011, 12:47:59 am »

My chief medical dwarf has been repeatedly diagnosing […]

Is there any explanation to this madness? My CMD is a proficient diagnostician now; at least he's getting experience; he was a novice when I assigned him.

I had that on couple of occasions in current version. Doesn't bode well for treated patients. Maybe disabling Recovery Wounded for that doc would help, if moving patient is a reason. But I'm not sure.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: May 06, 2011, 12:54:32 am »

It's already disabled; the only labor my CMD has enabled is diagnosis (and carpentry). I've tried disabling it, and he stops, then I turn it back on when someone else gets hurt and he just goes at it again. Granted, everyone else gets diagnosed as well, but it's troublesome. The treatment screen says the patient "needs diagnosis" as well, so I don't think they'll get treatment even if I turn it off on him.
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1178