Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120542 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11220 on: May 04, 2011, 06:13:22 pm »

I've removed all the exotic pet and mount tags for stuff already, actually. How could I get a GCS to web a cage now?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11221 on: May 04, 2011, 07:08:34 pm »

Do crutch walkers ever use their crutches in combat too?

I'm asking because I just realized that I could forge some gold or platinum pimp-canes, and start intentionally breaking some legs.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11222 on: May 04, 2011, 08:01:43 pm »

It may be the case the crutches are already counted as being in use by the dwarf. If they're just 'carrying' it, though, I see no reason why a dwarf wouldn't club someone with a crutch.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:07:41 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11223 on: May 04, 2011, 08:29:58 pm »

I prospected 20k Galena (Lead + 20% silver), 17k Garniterite (Nickel), 7k Native copper, 5.5k Tetrahedrite (copper + silver), 2k Funobtanium, 1.6k Native silver, 1k Hematite (Iron), Flux, some gold and aluminium, and no coal. This is more than I can burn through, even with 7 magma smelters, but my question concerns lead and nickel. What should I do with all this stuff? I can use Nickel for pipes and grates for magma pumpstack, but lead seems useless. I compared weights of crates and cages made of wood, and metal, and wood is far better. Both Nickel and Lead have value 2, which is not much better than stone, so using it for decorations or crafts seems counter-productive, other than to train metal crafters and blacksmiths, and sell masterworks. Hm, maybe that is what I should do with this junk. I'm not asking for Dwarfy uses of Lead and Nickel, but practical, businesslike and boring.
Studding an object with lead is ok, because you can decorate once with each material, so adding lead is free value.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11224 on: May 04, 2011, 08:50:57 pm »

If I mine a whole level of funobtanium, and find no funny hole, there should also be no cavity above it, so it should be safe to mine out, right?
Yes, I believe. Unless you've got a bugged spire, in which case it'll let the circus out when it "should".
Ive played on a whisker of Armok and struck hell on z level +5 so if its bugged dont take the chance.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11225 on: May 04, 2011, 10:18:45 pm »

If you've mined an entire level of it out and found no hole, there should be nothing above it.

The problem is finding a layer without a hole.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11226 on: May 04, 2011, 11:03:54 pm »

Its kind of easy to guess where it is based on the z-level from the magma sea the closer you are to the bottom of the map the more likely you are to find it.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11227 on: May 05, 2011, 01:18:15 am »

I've removed all the exotic pet and mount tags for stuff already, actually. How could I get a GCS to web a cage now?

I posted a thread concerning that. see http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83912.0 for a blueprint for a cage webber system where you can reuse all components (except the chain apparently), including the goblin as well as turn it on and off. The design works as I have several set up around my fort. The downside is that you need to have goblins, and an area parallel to the trapped hallway where you can build it.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11228 on: May 05, 2011, 05:05:04 am »

Kobolds usually don't survive worldgen, due to their inability to produce their own food.

The negative thought for destruction of a masterful item/engraving can be large or small, depending on how many masterpieces the dwarf has created. A dwarf who's made 200 masterwork engravings won't be too affected.
Okay, thanks. The Engraver has indeed made about 200 masterwork engravings (in dining room, two fancy tombs and a lay out for a Mayor's residence) so it shouldn't matter much. Too bad about the kobolds though.

Also I have 76-oops wait, 75 Dwarves now and still no Mayor. :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11229 on: May 05, 2011, 05:26:42 am »

I think I just noticed that military dwarves don't get happy thoughts from drinking booze from waterskins, is it best to just tell them to not carry any booze on them?  Also, will they eat in the dining room if their backpack isn't full of food?

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11230 on: May 05, 2011, 10:48:11 am »

I I surround enemies with Marksdwarves, will they accidentally shoot each other (So, if I have an enemy trapped in 1x1 a room surrounded by fortifications, will they be able to accidentally shoot their mates opposite them)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11231 on: May 05, 2011, 11:11:10 am »

No. Your dwarves can only shoot other dwarves deliberately.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11232 on: May 05, 2011, 11:55:22 am »

However, if you do the same with Ballista, then your dwarves can accidentally shoot each other.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tanase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11233 on: May 05, 2011, 02:09:59 pm »

My gemcutter keeps producing large cut gems and various gem crafts. However, these items are never moved into any of my stockpiles. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11234 on: May 05, 2011, 02:12:54 pm »

My gemcutter keeps producing large cut gems and various gem crafts. However, these items are never moved into any of my stockpiles. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

There does seem to be a bug at the moment in that large gems and gem crafts don't get moved into finished goods stockpiles.  This appears to be due to the fact that the list of material types which can be selected to be put in a finished goods stockpile does not include any gems.  Large glass gems do get stored, but non-glass large gems and gem crafts don't.

Reported here:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4430
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1178