Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120511 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11190 on: May 03, 2011, 02:24:03 pm »

yep. shields don't (currently) break, so... yeah  :P
also, wood shields block dragonfire  :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11191 on: May 03, 2011, 02:30:09 pm »

Yeah, wooden shields block just as often as any other material, so it really doesn't matter I killed about 150 trees for my carpenter to make sure that I would have high quality shields for all my troops for a long long time, Quality does matter.  The only reason I would use steel shields is if you want to make the ultimate combat junkie and you want them to shield bash with a heavier object.  Since it seems pretty easy to get a dwarf to pick up a weapon for each hand plus a shield, you might end up with a situation where your dwarf latches onto a goblin's throat with her teeth shaking him around while repeatedly stabbing him in the gut with two swords and breaking his hands and feet with her shield.  But even with that consideration, I rarely see my completely insane dwarf I described above going for a shield bash anywhere thats armored and having that even be a factor, but she does love disarming them pretty early with that tactic.

Whats crazy is after doing all that, she still finishes them off 95% of the time by punching them directly in the brain through armor.  I guess they don't have enough time to bleed to death before she gets tired of them.

edit:ninja'd lol

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11192 on: May 03, 2011, 03:42:06 pm »

What kind of mechanism is better for a dodge trap, quality wise?
By dodge trap i mean a contraption that lets the intruders wander near a deep pit, with a chance of them falling down each time they dodge a weapon trap.

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11193 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:47 pm »

Yeah, wooden shields block just as often as any other material, so it really doesn't matter I killed about 150 trees for my carpenter to make sure that I would have high quality shields for all my troops for a long long time, Quality does matter.  The only reason I would use steel shields is if you want to make the ultimate combat junkie and you want them to shield bash with a heavier object.  Since it seems pretty easy to get a dwarf to pick up a weapon for each hand plus a shield, you might end up with a situation where your dwarf latches onto a goblin's throat with her teeth shaking him around while repeatedly stabbing him in the gut with two swords and breaking his hands and feet with her shield.  But even with that consideration, I rarely see my completely insane dwarf I described above going for a shield bash anywhere thats armored and having that even be a factor, but she does love disarming them pretty early with that tactic.

Whats crazy is after doing all that, she still finishes them off 95% of the time by punching them directly in the brain through armor.  I guess they don't have enough time to bleed to death before she gets tired of them.

edit:ninja'd lol

Thanks for that, I've mangaged to stop my smiths from making the shields and are now working on the chainmail.

EDIT: sorry again, but is an artifact Bone helm better than a regular steel Helm? just got a mood and there's a good chance the dorf might make a helm.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:03:14 pm by Life Swordsman »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11194 on: May 03, 2011, 05:49:25 pm »

No. While artifact armor is superior to masterwork of the same material, it's not so much to make an inferior material worth it.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11195 on: May 03, 2011, 06:24:03 pm »

Is there any way I can get something to close when a pressure plate is activated? I have a 1x1 'cell' that can have prisoners dropped into it from the top, and I want the opening on the top to close when they fall in (onto the plate in the cell). Everything I tried seems to OPEN when the plate is active, though.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11196 on: May 03, 2011, 07:42:09 pm »

Is there any way I can get something to close when a pressure plate is activated? I have a 1x1 'cell' that can have prisoners dropped into it from the top, and I want the opening on the top to close when they fall in (onto the plate in the cell). Everything I tried seems to OPEN when the plate is active, though.

For what you want to do, you will probably need water logic.  Have the pressure plate set to open a door or hatch somewhere else in the fortress that holds back water.  When the door opens it lets water flow onto another pressure plate that is set to be active only when it has no water on it.  That will then send a close signal to the hatch or bridge over the pit.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11197 on: May 03, 2011, 08:22:25 pm »

My civ can only make low boots, not high boots. How do I protect lower legs?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11198 on: May 03, 2011, 08:26:50 pm »

Greaves protect all parts of the leg that low boots don't.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11199 on: May 03, 2011, 08:49:14 pm »

So low boots and greaves make high boots obsolete?

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11200 on: May 03, 2011, 08:58:07 pm »

How can I quickly get rid of refuse in my stockpiles?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11201 on: May 03, 2011, 09:42:00 pm »

That is and undwarfy statement, and I demand it's retraction. There is no such thing as too much protection.

Then again, if my dwarves only had iron and leather and only enough to make a shield and weapon per dwarf, what would be the best weapon? I'm defaulting to swords, but incapacitating an opponent might be a better option since my dwarves have no armor.

Also, above ground fortresses stink. All that open pathing is killing my FPS, I'm down to 35 FPS on year 2. The marble city walls and houses look awesome, but they move so slow. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Has anyone done a successful above ground fortress I.E. buildings, walls, roofs?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:44:06 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11202 on: May 03, 2011, 10:06:03 pm »

That is and undwarfy statement, and I demand it's retraction. There is no such thing as too much protection.

Then again, if my dwarves only had iron and leather and only enough to make a shield and weapon per dwarf, what would be the best weapon? I'm defaulting to swords, but incapacitating an opponent might be a better option since my dwarves have no armor.

Also, above ground fortresses stink. All that open pathing is killing my FPS, I'm down to 35 FPS on year 2. The marble city walls and houses look awesome, but they move so slow. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Has anyone done a successful above ground fortress I.E. buildings, walls, roofs?
Try traffic zones:http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Traffic.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11203 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:51 pm »

I can say from experience that proper use of traffic zones helps a LOT

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retrieving equipment from dead goblins and trolls
« Reply #11204 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23:55 pm »

Hi all,

I changed the default orders to un-Forbid the retrieval of items from dead.

It works fine for my own dead dwarfs, and for caravan guards and alike that die defending their caravans. My Dwarfs will happily go and loot their bodies for whatever goodies they have, and carry my dwarfs to the coffins, and the guards corpses to the refuse pile.

But when it comes to dead goblins and trolls, they carry the bodies away ok, but leave all the equipment in a pile, which I have to manually claim, for each item.

Is this a bug? Is there a setting I missed that distinguishes between "friendly" dead and enemy dead?
And is there a way to mass claim items?

Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 1178