Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120502 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11160 on: May 01, 2011, 09:50:20 pm »

Another question. I built a 1 by 4 danger room with traps inside. I told my squad to move to the deepest spot but only one moved inside. The rest just stand outside. what did i do wrong?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: May 01, 2011, 10:04:04 pm »

Put an armor stand/weapon rack in there and make it a barracks. They'll stand in there to train.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: May 01, 2011, 10:32:17 pm »

A dry well means just that - there's no water in it. To have an active, usable well, the well needs to have access to water underneath it. Water that's at least 3/7 deep, according to the wiki. The water can be more than one z-level below, although I'm assuming you need open space between the well and the water, but I'm not sure - I've only made wells with a cistern right below them, so far.

Yes, you need open space between the well and the water, if the water is more than one z level below the well. If you don't have it it will show as "dry".

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: May 01, 2011, 10:35:50 pm »

A dry well means just that - there's no water in it. To have an active, usable well, the well needs to have access to water underneath it. Water that's at least 3/7 deep, according to the wiki. The water can be more than one z-level below, although I'm assuming you need open space between the well and the water, but I'm not sure - I've only made wells with a cistern right below them, so far.

Yes, you need open space between the well and the water, if the water is more than one z level below the well. If you don't have it it will show as "dry".
I removed that well and channeled water to where i could use it. Thanks for the help though.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11164 on: May 02, 2011, 03:45:48 pm »

Is anyone running two DF executables in parallel?
Youknow, one low-fps mature fort on one CPU, other high-fps new fort on other CPU.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: May 02, 2011, 06:06:45 pm »

Is there any way to remove the huge numbers of "deceased" animals, goblins and dwarves clogging up my units list menu?

I currently have to scroll through 90+ dwarves or 90+ bodies to get to the middle bits.

(On that note, is there any way to remove all the fish clogging it up either? I don't particularly care about them, since my dwarves live on a plant and meat import diet.)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: May 02, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »

No, there is no way that I know of to remove units from the units list.

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11167 on: May 02, 2011, 06:54:58 pm »

ok, i have a question about ice. how exactly to you melt it? i have run magma on the z level below it, but it doesnt melt.
The ice is my only source of water, as there is no river, and i might need it in case of emergencies.
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11168 on: May 02, 2011, 06:59:41 pm »

There are two ways I know of to artificially melt ice:
1. Run magma directly under it, with only a floor separating the two liquids.
2. Cave it in underground, onto a non-ice floor.

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: May 02, 2011, 07:03:37 pm »

does the magma have to be 7/7? I am assuming it is, and if thats true, i found the culprit
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11170 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:38 pm »

If I build a road that reaches every side of the map, will caravans appear on those roads, and thus always be able to access my fortress, or will they still appear in the most stupid locations possible and stand there until they go mad?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11171 on: May 02, 2011, 07:48:11 pm »

If there is a 3 tile wide path from a point on the map edge to your depot, the caravans will appear on that path.  This path does not have to be a road.  If there is no such path, the caravan will appear in a random point on the map edge.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: May 02, 2011, 07:56:35 pm »

So if, say, the caravan suddenly started spawning where there was no path, it would be because, say, some trees grew in the way? Cos that happened to me, and it meant missing the dwarven caravan!

EDIT: Also, will floor hatches stop people dying from falling down mineshafts?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:10:26 pm by Benedict Hardy »

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11173 on: May 02, 2011, 08:33:52 pm »

just got my second Forgotten Beast just now. "The Forgotten Beast Lural Sitsuoxut has come! A gigantic feathered Pterosaur. It has large mandibles and it has a bloated body. Its orange feathers are long and narrow. Beware its poisonous vapors!" is the message I got. does that mean that this has a dust attack and if so, any advice for if I decide to take it on?(my caverns are blocked off atm since I don't have a military right now)

EDIT: Also, how many bars of Steel would I need to arm and armor a Dorf in head to toe steel? is it something like 7 bars?(1 for weapon, 1 for the helm, 1 for breastplate, 1 for gauntlets, 1 for greaves, 1 for high boots, and 1 for the shield right?)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:24:40 pm by Life Swordsman »

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11174 on: May 02, 2011, 10:10:05 pm »

Make it a couple more. You'll also want a mail shirt and a cap to wear under the breastplate and helm. Mail shirts are especially important because they provide upper arm coverage, which breastplates don't.

That said, I'm not sure if the bug where all armour only requires 1 bar is still active. I think it is  :) Otherwise you may need more. (Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob myself, I've just got 8 or so steel clad dudes, so I have a rough idea)
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 1178