Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120450 times)

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11100 on: April 29, 2011, 09:05:07 am »

I can't believe no one is going to suggest magma as a solution to the goblinite. Burn it all, and save your haulers the work.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11101 on: April 29, 2011, 03:15:47 pm »

magma solutions to goblinite would be problematic since I'd have to execute a megaproject and possibly produce a lag-inducing water reactor to get the magma all the way to the surface, not to mention that magma tends to be difficult to flood into flat areas because it tends to evaporate when the front expands over flat surfaces like my embarkation point and the fires and smoke calculations and fluid dynamics calculations, and temperature calculations... This year I'm trying dumping it into a conveniently accessible lake, and seeing if the freeze/thaw cycle destroys it; I'm fairly confident it will work, since I recall in one of my reclaim forts I noticed that happening, and my lakes were debris free. It'll certainly be more convenient to dump it that way rather than having to haul it all the way down to the bottom of my fort.

The idea is to improve frame rate, not butcher it.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11102 on: April 29, 2011, 03:20:21 pm »

how does one turn off auto saving? its kinda annoying when the game saves each season change and it freezes my game...btw im playin genesis mod

VeriDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11103 on: April 29, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »

how does one turn off auto saving? its kinda annoying when the game saves each season change and it freezes my game...btw im playin genesis mod
data -> init -> d_init and you change it to AUTOSAVE:NONE

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11104 on: April 29, 2011, 06:15:01 pm »

Will a set of upright spikes connected to a switch harm a creature with Trap Avoid?

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11105 on: April 29, 2011, 06:19:20 pm »

think of it this way dude....

if your trying to sneak through a hallway, and suddently, spikes pop up from the ground, because someone is flipping a switch nearby, would the spikes hurt you?

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11106 on: April 29, 2011, 06:23:37 pm »

Fair Enough.

Though Trap Avoid working on switch-controlled spikes wouldn't be the weirdest thing in Dwarf Fortress. I stand by the validity of the question.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11107 on: April 29, 2011, 06:40:45 pm »

For a clearer answer, yes, upright spike traps will work on creatures with trap avoid.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11108 on: April 29, 2011, 07:17:29 pm »

magma solutions to goblinite would be problematic
Nonsense and heresay. Cut into whatever magma source you have. If it's the magma sea, then raise it up a few levels. Punch a hole through the layers that you use as a garbage chute for goblinite. Goblinite is sitting on top of a magma-safe floor grate, with a draining area for the extra magma. Pour/drain magma, repeat. An orbital magma cannon isn't necessary at all; it sure is Fun, though.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11109 on: April 29, 2011, 07:34:57 pm »

I can't recommend turning that off.  There are a few crash bugs in 31.25 which were not present in 31.18 and at least with the seasonal saves you'll only lose an hour or two of play compared with losing an entire session.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11110 on: April 29, 2011, 07:58:07 pm »

Is there any simple-ish method to control the movements of dwarven children? I'd like to have a fortress for a few years with babies/children getting born and growing vanilla-style, but I hate (hate is such a weak word for what I feel) their "pathing" to stay "near" parents.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: April 29, 2011, 09:35:25 pm »

Is there any simple-ish method to control the movements of dwarven children? I'd like to have a fortress for a few years with babies/children getting born and growing vanilla-style, but I hate (hate is such a weak word for what I feel) their "pathing" to stay "near" parents.

assign them to burrows maybe?

Now onto my question: whats the best way to catch goblins / dragons / FB's in cages? I would like to start an arena, as my training is so slow on my military dwarves, i reckon some wooden sword vs (somehow) disarrmed goblins training would be a good start, followed by real weaponry vs the megabeasts which i usually just have killed via flood of dwarves with pointy steel weaponry, the best dwarf in the military i have is "competent", bar a few elite marksdwarves, who get all the training they need without my intervention ;)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11112 on: April 29, 2011, 09:43:47 pm »

For goblins and dragons' just a few lines near your front door is enough. They are always effected by traps, so as soon as they step on one they'll no longer be a threat.
FB's are trickier, as they need to be stunned to be effected by traps. I suggest giant gave spider webs if you can rig up a web farmer, or building your entrance a level above the traps and forcing them to dodge off with upright spikes attached to a lever.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11113 on: April 29, 2011, 10:01:43 pm »

well, for forgotten beasts I made a special foyer into my fortress from the caverns. It's a long passage that has been gated with metal bridges (I'm fairly certain the METAL part is important; I've never seen anything attack a metal bridge, though stone and wood seems fair game). I can flip a switch to close bridges and thus extend the pathway through a special area. In that area, there are similar extensions to the path, but that can be completely closed off and later bypassed. I put a wooden door in each of these rooms. Building destroyers inevitably wander in, attack the first door they see, which is at the ENTRY to this system, giving me an alert that they are nearing the system. Then I wait for them to attack one of the doors in the trap section, and as they do, I close them in. I have two at the moment, and a third I put down for the meat.

I've improved it now by putting a tamed giant cave spider that can shoot web into the hallway through fortifications. Webbing makes ANYTHING fall into a trap. Including dwarves (protip: this can be used to cage dwarven children, and thus corral or dispose of them appropriately)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11114 on: April 30, 2011, 09:05:31 am »

assign them to burrows maybe?

Pretty sure children ignore burrows.  You need to assign their mothers to burrows. where they'll stay safely indoors.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 1178