Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120415 times)

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11085 on: April 28, 2011, 03:19:46 pm »

is trapping pointless? lol

As far as I know, it's only used for the 'Capture A Live Land Animal' task at the kennels and to build small animal traps at the carpenter.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11086 on: April 28, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »

I've got a moody dwarf who needs cloth. I've got a cloth stockpile that has both plant fiber and silk cloth. The Dwarf is roughly 20 squares from the cloth

Why won't he use the cloth?

Nick

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #11087 on: April 28, 2011, 03:28:24 pm »

I've got a moody dwarf who needs cloth. I've got a cloth stockpile that has both plant fiber and silk cloth. The Dwarf is roughly 20 squares from the cloth

Nick
Wiki strange mood article says there are three kinds of cloth and according to the Murphy's law you probably need yarn cloth.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11088 on: April 28, 2011, 03:36:29 pm »

Nick
Wiki strange mood article says there are three kinds of cloth and according to the Murphy's law you probably need yarn cloth.
I actually have wool cloth. In my hospital.

Is there a way to get a hospital to unclaim an item?

Nick

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11089 on: April 28, 2011, 03:40:17 pm »

Is there a way to get a hospital to unclaim an item?
Press 'i', move the cursor to the hospital zone, then press 'h' to make it not a hospital zone anymore.  Your dwarves will then immediately start moving the cloth and other items to stockpiles, and your moody dwarf will grab his yarn.  Once he's started working on the hospital you can safely re-designate the hospital.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11090 on: April 28, 2011, 06:40:29 pm »

just a quick question, how can you tell if a dwarf has equipped something? The reason being that i have a dwarf who i want to equip an artefact set of chain mail, and a masterwork breastplate, but im not sure if he's wearing both. sorry if this is a stupid question.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11091 on: April 28, 2011, 06:43:22 pm »

just a quick question, how can you tell if a dwarf has equipped something? The reason being that i have a dwarf who i want to equip an artefact set of chain mail, and a masterwork breastplate, but im not sure if he's wearing both. sorry if this is a stupid question.

You can see all items a dwarf has on his person by (v)iewing the dwarf and checking his (i)nventory. If it's not there, he hasn't equipped it. It does take a soldier a little time to "pickup equipment" if you change several things at once, though, so you might give him a bit to get his kit straight.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11092 on: April 28, 2011, 06:58:57 pm »

Just how shallow are shallow metals? Is it like, one and five z levels?

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress gone soft?
« Reply #11093 on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:51 am »

I've had a pretty awesome fort going for a while now. I'm able to turn back pretty much anything that comes to call. The problem is when an enemy gets in a lucky shot, or when one of my non-military dwarves is on the surface cleaning up the mess that WAS a goblin siege when an ambush arises. Since I decided to make a legendary dining hall with gem window walls, and a masterwork adamantine statue hall all my dwarves started being FRIENDS with one another. So much that now everyone in my fort has almost legendary social skills. So much that when one dwarf dies, 90% of my dwarves get major unhappy thoughts. Combined with the miasma that arises when there are just too many pieces of goblin to remove in a timely manner, it's enough to bring my entire fort to the brink of a tantrum spiral. Given that if I DON'T pick up the goblin splatter after a battle I get plagued with a progressively degrading framerate, leaving it out there isn't an option. Indeed, just leaving their equipment out there causes a pretty bad frame rate hit. But picking it up puts me at risk for a second attack, and I can't afford another dwarf to die. I'm seemingly at an impasse and don't really know what to do about it.

edit: once I sent a suicide squad to deal with a forgotten beast with instant necrosis vapor breath... a riot started almost immediately, since the corpses began rotting instantly. Thankfully my game crashed, and I got the chance to do some things differently.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:53:25 am by Jarhyn »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11094 on: April 29, 2011, 03:54:41 am »

I've had a pretty awesome fort going for a while now. I'm able to turn back pretty much anything that comes to call. The problem is when an enemy gets in a lucky shot, or when one of my non-military dwarves is on the surface cleaning up the mess that WAS a goblin siege when an ambush arises. Since I decided to make a legendary dining hall with gem window walls, and a masterwork adamantine statue hall all my dwarves started being FRIENDS with one another. So much that now everyone in my fort has almost legendary social skills. So much that when one dwarf dies, 90% of my dwarves get major unhappy thoughts. Combined with the miasma that arises when there are just too many pieces of goblin to remove in a timely manner, it's enough to bring my entire fort to the brink of a tantrum spiral. Given that if I DON'T pick up the goblin splatter after a battle I get plagued with a progressively degrading framerate, leaving it out there isn't an option. Indeed, just leaving their equipment out there causes a pretty bad frame rate hit. But picking it up puts me at risk for a second attack, and I can't afford another dwarf to die. I'm seemingly at an impasse and don't really know what to do about it.

edit: once I sent a suicide squad to deal with a forgotten beast with instant necrosis vapor breath... a riot started almost immediately, since the corpses began rotting instantly. Thankfully my game crashed, and I got the chance to do some things differently.

you'll have to dilute them. REmove that meeting hall, and make smallers one all around your fort. After a while, some friendships will "rust out".
or isolate them in a cave like place. one at the time. all alone.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11095 on: April 29, 2011, 04:06:59 am »

the main bulk of my fort is 4 VERY compact floors. The bottommost floor is a magma chamber, above that my industrial floor, above that the dining hall, then bedroom floor. above those there are two centralized stock rooms. Then there's a massive tree farm on the level just below the surface, mined out entirely except for where there are murky pools, along with crops and a well fed off the winter melt of one of the larger murky pools. The hard part is figuring out where to decentralize to; there's nowhere to go, except to move and rebuild my whole fort BELOW the magma pit (which is possibly an option, I suppose; it would certainly make it less work to nuke all that worthless clothing, just shutting off the old living area and flooding it with magma. my carpenter and mason would get pretty out of sorts over that though.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11096 on: April 29, 2011, 05:10:56 am »

the main bulk of my fort is 4 VERY compact floors. The bottommost floor is a magma chamber, above that my industrial floor, above that the dining hall, then bedroom floor. above those there are two centralized stock rooms. Then there's a massive tree farm on the level just below the surface, mined out entirely except for where there are murky pools, along with crops and a well fed off the winter melt of one of the larger murky pools. The hard part is figuring out where to decentralize to; there's nowhere to go, except to move and rebuild my whole fort BELOW the magma pit (which is possibly an option, I suppose; it would certainly make it less work to nuke all that worthless clothing, just shutting off the old living area and flooding it with magma. my carpenter and mason would get pretty out of sorts over that though.

well, it's not like you need to make a "meeting" area with a table. You use Zones. You place some of them in the tree farms, some on the surface, maybe some in a 5/7 water so they learn how to swim, eccetera.
in that way, when they finish working, they go to the closest meeting area. (obviously you'll need separate stock piles, because they will fetch drinks/food and then move to the closest meeting area.)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11097 on: April 29, 2011, 06:33:41 am »

Check their status, some of them will get used to tragedy soon and not care, but watch out for that miasma.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress gone soft?
« Reply #11098 on: April 29, 2011, 08:03:44 am »

I've had a pretty awesome fort going for a while now. [...]
Have two courtyards you can wall off with bridges, lure enemy sieges into one rather than fighting in the open. You can wall one of these off while cleaning up. Keep dwarves busy all the time too, even on make work or running pumps which do nothing (good to toughen up dwarves). They'll be too busy to make friends.

Also, why not just have your military stand guard over the haulers while they are working? If they took out a siege, they can defend from an ambush too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:11:13 am by Reelyanoob »

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11099 on: April 29, 2011, 08:42:11 am »

Note that invaders invade in the last month of a season. If you get to early whatevertheseason you'll usually have dealt with ambushes if you've left open a path into your fortress over the past month. If you've closed a drawbridge or whatever, then it may be worthwhile doing a sweep with a military squad.
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 1178