Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120363 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11055 on: April 25, 2011, 09:37:03 pm »

Question: What is the purpose of the diplomat that humans send?
I ask because I just got a law-giver who went berserk after chilling in my hospital for a few months, and I want to know what I missed out on.

Human diplomats are basically placeholders for more advanced diplomacy in the game. Basically they'll show up, say "nice place you got here" and then leave.

Of course, having a diplomat die on your land is an extremely good way to go to war with the humans. Don't be surprised if you get a siege next summer.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11056 on: April 25, 2011, 09:39:55 pm »

I ask because I just got a law-giver who went berserk after chilling in my hospital for a few months, and I want to know what I missed out on.

The human diplomat currently serves no purpose unless you're trying to get the humans to siege you in which case killing him certainly helps.

How do you build a well? Also what good are clay and sand?

You need a rope, bucket, block and mechanism. Construct the well over a channel that has water of at least 3/7 depth in a direct line below it. Grates/hatches/bars get in the way but the well will function if you use a lever to open the grate/hatch/bar. An architect and carpenter/mason/metalsmith are required for well construction.

Clay can be used to make ceramics at a kiln. You can make pots, crafts and bricks among other things. Clay must be collected from a clay collection zone designated from the i menu but unlike sand needs no extra equipment.

Sand can be used to make glass which in turn is used to make windows, machine components, crafts and pots among other things. Sand must be gathered in bags from a sand collection zone which you designate from the i menu.

Creating clay objects and glass from sand requires fuel.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:43:48 pm by Darkweave »

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: April 25, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »

The human diplomat currently serves no purpose unless you're trying to get the humans to siege you in which case killing him certainly helps.

How do you build a well? Also what good are clay and sand?

You need a rope, bucket, block and mechanism. Construct the well over a channel that has water of at least 3/7 depth in a direct line below it. Grates/hatches/bars get in the way but the well will function if you use a lever to open the grate/hatch/bar. An architect and carpenter/mason/metalsmith are required for well construction.

Clay can be used to make ceramics at a kiln. You can make pots, crafts and bricks among other things. Clay must be collected from a clay collection zone designated from the i menu but unlike sand needs no extra equipment.

Sand can be used to make glass which in turn is used to make windows, machine components, crafts and pots among other things. Sand must be gathered in bags from a sand collection zone which you designate from the i menu.

Creating clay objects and glass from sand requires fuel.
Sand and clay are also (currently) infinite resources. One tile of each will supply your fortress until the end of time.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: April 26, 2011, 05:16:30 pm »

I was going to equip my military with trainig weapons and saw spears made of different undergound trees but I didn't make them... also no goblins or reports on my map. Any reason why?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11059 on: April 26, 2011, 05:18:12 pm »

I was going to equip my military with trainig weapons and saw spears made of different undergound trees but I didn't make them... also no goblins or reports on my map. Any reason why?
There is probably an unnamed animal-person civilization in the caverns under your fortress.  If you press 'c', it should show up on the known civilizations list.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: April 26, 2011, 06:53:37 pm »

Why is it that when I do the search on the World map for Flux Stone, NONE of the 'biome's have Flux Stone in their lists despite the game saying, Yeah this place meets what you were after...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11061 on: April 26, 2011, 08:42:09 pm »

Why is it that when I do the search on the World map for Flux Stone, NONE of the 'biome's have Flux Stone in their lists despite the game saying, Yeah this place meets what you were after...
If you're using DF Hack's Prospector, it doesn't naturally look at layers. To do that add -ab to the end.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: April 26, 2011, 09:19:17 pm »

Just a bug, the site finder is correct, not the biome info.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11063 on: April 27, 2011, 04:27:52 pm »

How do I get cave blob fluid out of my butcher's shop?! I think last time I had to deconstruct the shop before anyone would touch it... and I'm not sure they touched it then.
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: April 27, 2011, 07:09:34 pm »

Alright, I've got a few new questions:

a) I seem to suddenly be having problems with a few tasks. Namely things at the screw press and querns. I can set the "mill plants" job, but not the "mill seeds/nuts to paste" one at the querns, despite having (according to the stocks screen) over 150 nuts. I can't select either task at the screw press, despite the fact that I've got honeycombs starting to build up in my finished goods stockpiles that I'd like to press into honey/etc.

(I'm also having problems with making soap despite the fact that I have tallow, but I know that that's screwy.)

So... anyone know what's up? Or have any suggestions? I built more querns and removed the screw press and rebuilt it in case they just got bugged somehow, but no dice.

b) I asked this in another thread, but it was sort of a threadjack and I think people may not be reading it anymore... can anyone explain just how the assigning minimum/maximum barrels to stockpiles works? More specifically, does this just refer to empty barrels, or any barrel at all? I ask because I'm trying to get some drinks stockpiled next to my prisoner restraints, but they're just taking empty barrels and throwing them there. If it only refers to empties I could of course set those to "zero," but I'm not really sure how it works...

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: April 27, 2011, 07:12:04 pm »

Instead of building mist generators, does anyone ever just set slaves (useless migrants) to endlessly haul buckets of water to dump on the heads of the good dwarves?

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: April 27, 2011, 07:27:50 pm »

Tragedy has struck my fort, and my much beloved baron fell when a mighty drawbridge raised while he was standing on it shortly after demanding a platinum bed. Sadly, he did not live to see his dream come true.

But now I'm wondering, does his unfortunate and untimely end mean I will never see a Dungeon Master grace the inside of my fortress? or was that a lost cause anyway?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11067 on: April 27, 2011, 07:31:36 pm »

The Dungeon Master is bugged and never shows up at all.  And even if you mod the game so he does, he doesn't do anything.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: April 27, 2011, 07:34:13 pm »

The Dungeon Master is bugged and never shows up at all.  And even if you mod the game so he does, he doesn't do anything.

What I do is just get rid of all of Exotic tags and replace them with just the [PET] tag.

Also, I have a question, If someone grows attached to something, is it impossible to get them to use something else instead of the thing that they are attached to?
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: April 27, 2011, 07:38:30 pm »

a) I seem to suddenly be having problems with a few tasks. Namely things at the screw press and querns. I can set the "mill plants" job, but not the "mill seeds/nuts to paste" one at the querns, despite having (according to the stocks screen) over 150 nuts. I can't select either task at the screw press, despite the fact that I've got honeycombs starting to build up in my finished goods stockpiles that I'd like to press into honey/etc.

b) I asked this in another thread, but it was sort of a threadjack and I think people may not be reading it anymore... can anyone explain just how the assigning minimum/maximum barrels to stockpiles works? More specifically, does this just refer to empty barrels, or any barrel at all? I ask because I'm trying to get some drinks stockpiled next to my prisoner restraints, but they're just taking empty barrels and throwing them there. If it only refers to empties I could of course set those to "zero," but I'm not really sure how it works...

A. Do you have jugs made? You need jugs to receive the rock nut oil, and the honey/royal jelly.

B. I think someone said on another thread that you need a minimum two square stockpile, as dwarves will haul an empty barrel to a drink stockpile. It's definitely not referring to empty barrels; I've had a 121 tile stockpile that I set to 60 barrels stop accepting full barrels at 60. The problem is that when you create a new stockpile of any kind that is set to accept bins or barrels, dwarves will bring an empty bin or barrel to the stockpile to await storage of whatever goods/food. Unfortunately for drinks, you can't transport liquid without the barrel, so the presence of an empty barrel on a one tile stockpile prevents the dwarves from ever bringing more liquid.
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 1178