Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120277 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11010 on: April 24, 2011, 07:40:58 pm »

How tall can a tower be and still have dwarves with crossbows shoot down from it?

Every Z-level above the ground reduces their range by 1 (dwarven physics).  Since dwarves shoot 10-15 tiles (20?), a 5-Z tall tower cuts that to 5-10 tiles.  Most pillbox / fortification designs are 1Z above the surrounding terrain.

Side question - do windmills work "Inside" (constructed floor above them) but "Above Ground"?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11011 on: April 24, 2011, 07:42:12 pm »

Side question - do windmills work "Inside" (constructed floor above them) but "Above Ground"?

No.  The center tile of a windmill has to be Outside for it to generate power.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: April 24, 2011, 07:53:46 pm »

No.  The center tile of a windmill has to be Outside for it to generate power.
Works if you build them underground, then channel out the middle square above them, though. I did this on a nano-fortress so I could have my windmills closer to the edge of the map than normally allowed (everywhere else on the map was inside the fortress). Was worried about building destroyers but ogres didn't seem to bother with the windmills (i did take underground precautions by walling off the windwmill area). Seems they cannot attack at an angle into a level below. I was lucky and had no flying FBs on that map.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: April 24, 2011, 07:58:46 pm »

If I drop a goblin bowman in a box and chain him there, then put fortifications on one side, can I get him to act as a sort of sentry? Will he pick up bolts I drop to him?

(Yes, I know I can use archers on walls. That's undwarvenly)
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: April 24, 2011, 08:13:10 pm »

Sorry, but I've just noticed something odd that going on in my fort. Its nothing life threatening, but my Dorfs keep leaving their clothes all over the place and they're not picking them up. Its odd too, the clothing for the most part is perfectly fine. I even just got some migrants just now, and I noticed that one of them dropped some cloths on its way to my fort. Any ideas?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: April 24, 2011, 08:27:11 pm »

Sorry, but I've just noticed something odd that going on in my fort. Its nothing life threatening, but my Dorfs keep leaving their clothes all over the place and they're not picking them up. Its odd too, the clothing for the most part is perfectly fine. I even just got some migrants just now, and I noticed that one of them dropped some cloths on its way to my fort. Any ideas?
Magma.

Or build bedrooms with a cabinet and container for each of them.

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: April 24, 2011, 08:31:03 pm »

Magma.

Or build bedrooms with a cabinet and container for each of them.

I have, and yet they still leave cloths around. All my rooms are 2x3 and all have a bed, a coffer, and a cabinet.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11017 on: April 24, 2011, 09:02:18 pm »

Try multiple cabinets - at least 2, and military dwarves will need 3+.

(Coffers are only wanted by nobles/hospitals/etc and don't serve much of a purpose in the current version.)

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:16 pm »

I've never needed more than one cabinet even for military dwarves but I leave them uniformed while off duty. Storing clothing seems to be the lowest possible priority - dwarves will rather do anything but store their clothes in cabinets. It sometimes takes years but it does eventually get done.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:53 pm »

How do I make crossbows actually work?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: April 24, 2011, 10:17:31 pm »

How do I make crossbows actually work?

Well, more details about the problem might help...

For starters, make sure the hunters/whatever have not only the crossbow, but ammo and a quiver as well. (And make sure they have unforbidden ammo - by default ammo they shoot and that doesn't break is forbidden, so you have to re-claim it before someone can use it again.)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: April 25, 2011, 12:56:10 am »

... and then either give dwarves the hunting labour and leave them to it, or create a squad of dwarves with archer uniform or custom uniform with "ranged weapon" choice, then sick them on some enemies or train them up.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: April 25, 2011, 04:06:06 am »

Is copper any good for military use? Is it better than iron? because I have found no iron but I have plenty of tetrahedrite which im smelting into copper/silver. Also is lead good for anythign? Because i also have plenty of galena.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: April 25, 2011, 04:10:55 am »

Is copper any good for military use? Is it better than iron? because I have found no iron but I have plenty of tetrahedrite which im smelting into copper/silver. Also is lead good for anythign? Because i also have plenty of galena.

Silver makes GREAT hammers :), and crossbows too

Use the copper for armor, but try and convert it to bronze (with tin), or Bismuth Bronze (with tin+bismuth). Iron and Steel are best, other than "blue candy"

Get as much iron as possible from any goblins who attack you (prepare defences though - they sometimes send HUGE armies you have no chance against with copper armor - have a cage trap corridor just in case), and the dwarves have Iron + Steel to sell. They sell good armour/weapons, so you can gradual give this to your frontline hammerers.

EDIT : Lead barrels like Passive Fist says below, I prefer lead bins, because that saves wood, and there's stone pots for booze now, so barrels are less critical, and I always need more bins.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:17:01 am by Reelyanoob »

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: April 25, 2011, 04:14:14 am »

Spiked copper balls worked reliably well in my weapon traps.  You can make anything out of lead and it'll work fine, even barrels. It's just not worth very much so lead crafts are a bad idea.
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1178