Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120256 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10965 on: April 22, 2011, 08:28:00 pm »

I'm trying to embark but for some reason there's no iron anvil. There is a steel anvil though. Any reason why?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: April 22, 2011, 08:29:09 pm »

I'm trying to embark but for some reason there's no iron anvil. There is a steel anvil though. Any reason why?

The home civ that you chose prior to embark (in the pick a site screens) does not have access to Iron. 

(Yet somehow they have steel... which is one of the many mysteries of DF.)

Life Swordsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10967 on: April 22, 2011, 09:29:11 pm »

So question regarding the message "has been X about long patrol duty lately." Message on military Dorfs. I read that you need to have some down time in there schedules to avoid this, however, I've put about a month during each season as off duty(and during winter and spring, they don't even patrol out, just rest, train, then rest again for the season) and I'm still getting that message. Do I actually have to disband the squad to give them down time?

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10968 on: April 22, 2011, 10:08:31 pm »

Is an iron anvil already selected? You start out with an iron anvil already chosen.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: April 22, 2011, 11:09:46 pm »

Your civilization has now access to iron. However, because they have a reaction for steel, they will *always* have steel, even if they lack the proper reagents for the reaction.

Dwarven Reactions - making science their *#*$@ since 200X!

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: April 22, 2011, 11:14:40 pm »

Do random weapons usually appear on the map? I got a wave of migrants and it went to them and by them I noticed a bismuth bronze battle axe. I checked and there had been no fighting. It had only been one season since I started. Naturally I picked it up and now my military uses it but I was wondering how it got there.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: April 22, 2011, 11:24:56 pm »

A migrant arrived with ranks in woodcutting, so he spawned with an axe. For whatever reason, the labour was turned off, so as soon as he was on the map, he looked at the axe and said "why am i carrying this?" and dropped it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10972 on: April 22, 2011, 11:32:05 pm »

That explains it. When I checked their skills on dwarf therapist, one of them had woodcutting. I didn't enable it or disable it though...

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10973 on: April 22, 2011, 11:40:33 pm »

So question regarding the message "has been X about long patrol duty lately." Message on military Dorfs. I read that you need to have some down time in there schedules to avoid this, however, I've put about a month during each season as off duty(and during winter and spring, they don't even patrol out, just rest, train, then rest again for the season) and I'm still getting that message. Do I actually have to disband the squad to give them down time?

Some people make 'em patrol all year.

You're going to want to switch their alert state to inactive, to get them to actually be "off duty". They'll still train and stuff though.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10974 on: April 22, 2011, 11:53:43 pm »

Can fisherdwarves fish through grates?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10975 on: April 23, 2011, 12:13:23 am »

Yes.
Never pet a burning dog.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10976 on: April 23, 2011, 12:21:59 am »

Awesome, thanks.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: April 23, 2011, 06:03:34 am »

In adventure mode what button is the downstairs symbol supposed to be? I'm using the mayday pack if it helps.

I think it's > on your keyboard. Maybe <. I can never remember. If you're asking what it looks like... it's Mayday, so, uh... stairs?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: April 23, 2011, 07:04:02 am »

Are ocean waves dangerous? I want to pump water into a cistern (salt water, and yes I know, constructed walls yarbydarbydarb) with a screw pump built by the shore, but I don't want any waves washing my pump operator and mason into the sea (there's sharks!).
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10979 on: April 23, 2011, 08:00:35 am »

Are ocean waves dangerous? I want to pump water into a cistern (salt water, and yes I know, constructed walls yarbydarbydarb) with a screw pump built by the shore, but I don't want any waves washing my pump operator and mason into the sea (there's sharks!).

somewhere i read about Tsunamis in DF. at least, a nice phenomen of an adventurer spawning in a city and then after two rounds submerged by water and drowning. It could have been an acquifer, but i suppose yes, waves are dangerous. i'd erect a wall. a nice wall. or maybe make sure that the salt water flows into a square outside the waves range by passing in a subterrean tunnel, something like:
 >=water
-=land     
>>>---------->>-
>>>---------->>-
>>>>>>>>>>>>>-
obviously you'd need at least ramps to let the "lucky miner" get away safe and sound, but i suppose he should make it.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1178