Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120227 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10950 on: April 22, 2011, 04:45:26 pm »

Burrows and alerts.

Check the wiki to see how they're set up, but a basic burrow system is:
:Fortress. This covers the whole map except for the parts that are outside the fortress walls topside, and the caverns if you can be bothered. Use this as a general civilian alert to stop them wandering out after stray socks and other things left outside. You can always put a single burrow tile over things you'd like collected anyway, as burrow tiles don't need to be touching.
:Safety zone. This covers food, drink, and sleeping only, and is used to keep civilians in a small safe area in case of attack.
:Threshold (optional). This covers the trade depot and any other area that's open to the outside and needs to be that way, and which your civilians only need access to at certain times. If your depot is located well behind the defensive lines, this isn't really necessary. Could also be used to control the reloading of traps.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10951 on: April 22, 2011, 05:25:02 pm »

Do animals generally kill each other? I have a bunch of animals in a pasture and apparently one of my horses suffocated one of my rams.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: April 22, 2011, 05:28:51 pm »

Animals sometimes get frisky and fight with each other, if they're in the same pasture.  Having a lot more space for them helps, but not completely.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10953 on: April 22, 2011, 05:44:08 pm »

How do I tell how much food I have? I pressed n to look but it says 600? With 500? Seeds and plant 5. Everything else but drink is none. Also, how can I get more?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10954 on: April 22, 2011, 06:26:49 pm »

I've managed to kill two difficult forgotten beasts (luckily, no serious syndromes). One was made of green glass, and the other made of marcasite. My dwarves hauled the body parts to a stockpile set to accept skulls, bones, shells, teeth, and horns - can I actually make anything out of these parts, or is the game just in error? If I can, great, otherwise, I'll go atom smash them.

DrSazar

• Bay Watcher
  • He is in a constant state of internal rage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: April 22, 2011, 06:36:37 pm »

How do I tell how much food I have? I pressed n to look but it says 600? With 500? Seeds and plant 5. Everything else but drink is none. Also, how can I get more?

You probably don't have a "book keeper" noble. If you do have one then his recordings are probably set to the lowest precision or he dosen't have a study.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: April 22, 2011, 06:45:55 pm »

Which labors can produce anvils out of new and interesting materials? The gem jobs and blacksmithing only or...?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10957 on: April 22, 2011, 06:46:36 pm »

Ok, so I have a +indigo tourmaline earring+. It's not an artifact. I don't know how I got it at all. It's worth 750, so I want to recreate this as much as possible.

edit: Just got a human caravan, they have a -copper bowl-, copper boning knife, and a copper meat cleaver. Are these things useful for anything?

Silver spiked balls (I think...), or silver warhammers, or even crossbows (since the material doesn't count, only quality).

You can't make silver crossbows in an unmodified game.  It's not an option on the menu.

You can make any weapon out of silver, dude.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:00:42 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10958 on: April 22, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »

No, you can't You can make any melee weapon out of silver. Ranged weapons use a different tag.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: April 22, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »

I just bought a silver crossbow from a caravan. Do humans follow different rules? Because that seems unlikely.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10960 on: April 22, 2011, 07:34:32 pm »

Things you can buy from caravans di not always match up with those that you can make.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: April 22, 2011, 07:35:35 pm »

Ok, so I have a +indigo tourmaline earring+. It's not an artifact. I don't know how I got it at all. It's worth 750, so I want to recreate this as much as possible.

edit: Just got a human caravan, they have a -copper bowl-, copper boning knife, and a copper meat cleaver. Are these things useful for anything?

Firstly: Caravans bring things like Rabbit Meat and prepared honeybee brain. They do *not* play by the rules.

As to your questions: when dwarves cut gems, they have a random chance to cut a Large Gem or Gem Crafts instead, so keep cutting gems and you'll get more of those crafts.

As to the human caravan tools? Useless. Handy weapons in adventure mode, maybe, but otherwise useless.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10962 on: April 22, 2011, 07:37:29 pm »

In adventure mode what button is the downstairs symbol supposed to be? I'm using the mayday pack if it helps.

silversurfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10963 on: April 22, 2011, 07:54:08 pm »

Good friday was going great at the fort, then Urist mcdrunk tried to barter with the foo foo elves and them seem to think he was trying to give them the keg of beer he was drinking from (wooden barrel).  Now things have turned ugly...  Do I kill all the elves before they leave the building?  Is peace even possible at this point? 

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10964 on: April 22, 2011, 08:14:18 pm »

Good friday was going great at the fort, then Urist mcdrunk tried to barter with the foo foo elves and them seem to think he was trying to give them the keg of beer he was drinking from (wooden barrel).  Now things have turned ugly...  Do I kill all the elves before they leave the building?  Is peace even possible at this point?

Kill all but one, or offer them even more wood.

(Elvish ambushes are fun.  And it stops them from bringing bin after bin full of near-useless cloth.)
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1178