Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120179 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10920 on: April 21, 2011, 08:43:14 pm »

If I channel out the floor beneath a bridge (retracting) will the bridge still work? It's a 1x10 bridge btw.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10921 on: April 21, 2011, 08:45:30 pm »

If I channel out the floor beneath a bridge (retracting) will the bridge still work? It's a 1x10 bridge btw.

You cannot channel it out AFTER building the bridge, only BEFORE building it. And yes, bridges will work across gaps. That is their function.
Never pet a burning dog.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10922 on: April 21, 2011, 09:32:52 pm »

I found a IMHO large vein of silver and I'm wondering what I can do with it. The wiki didn't give much info.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10923 on: April 21, 2011, 09:35:16 pm »

Silver is a pretty heavy metal, so it's good for blunt weapons, like hammers and maces.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10924 on: April 21, 2011, 09:53:56 pm »

Silver spiked balls (I think...), or silver warhammers, or even crossbows (since the material doesn't count, only quality).

Otherwise, make silver serrated discs and sell them to the caravans.  A high quality one sells for either 6300 or 15k dwarf bucks.

Silver bolts are also a good choice.

theeggman85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10925 on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:52 pm »

I'm trying to make some screw pumps out of sphalerite for pumping magma (since its the best magma-safe material I have access to). How can I tell my dwarves to produce only sphalerite corkscrews and other parts for the pumps?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10926 on: April 21, 2011, 10:42:41 pm »

You can't directly tell your dwarves to use a specific material to craft something, but you can dump a bunch of sphalerite into your workshop then unforbid it so they use that first.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: April 21, 2011, 10:43:45 pm »

I'm trying to make some screw pumps out of sphalerite for pumping magma (since its the best magma-safe material I have access to). How can I tell my dwarves to produce only sphalerite corkscrews and other parts for the pumps?

You cannot make corkscrews or pipe sections out of ore.

You have no sand?
Never pet a burning dog.

theeggman85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10928 on: April 21, 2011, 10:51:20 pm »

Oh that's right, glass... I actually do have sand, but I'm not familiar with the process to make it, guess I'll have to look that up. Thanks!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10929 on: April 21, 2011, 10:53:16 pm »

You can't directly tell your dwarves to use a specific material to craft something, but you can dump a bunch of sphalerite into your workshop then unforbid it so they use that first.

The easiest way to influence materials is to build your workshop in the middle of a 5x5 room and drape a stockpile that only accepts the desired material around it.  Make sure that the 2 floors above/below the workshop do not contain materials that can be used by the workshop (directly above/below the workshop).  That way the ring stockpile is the closest material to the workshop.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10930 on: April 21, 2011, 11:57:11 pm »

Can crutches be used as weapons, and if so what is the skill that determines it? (I'm guessing misc object?)
>.>
How does a one legged dwarf wear greaves? I've never had this happen before. How does he do it.

I mean, I know you can throw them in adventure mode, but will they ever be used in fortress mode? All he did against the minotaur was bash it with his hammer five times, which made me laugh when I tried to picture it in my head. Just picturing him crutch walking up to the minotaur makes me weak.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: April 22, 2011, 12:29:02 am »

I think everything can be used as a weapon. If it's not an official weapon, then it's under misc. objects (or throwing :P)

So if you want to desalinate water through use of a screw pump, smoothed walls work just as well as constructed ones, right?
wrong.
you must construct everything, even the floors, or else it doesn't work.

What about the ceiling?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: April 22, 2011, 01:27:12 am »

So... since clay is now a building materiel... human forts are easy now?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10933 on: April 22, 2011, 03:30:43 am »

Yes, and yes. Maybe.

You could always not have a ceiling, I believe that's an option.

And it depends on how much you like being a human.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10934 on: April 22, 2011, 03:42:35 am »

I just want to try having inefficient above ground structures for once, since inefficiency is one of the most dwarven things known to dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 1178