Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120135 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10890 on: April 21, 2011, 03:32:43 am »

So, I've got a moody dwarf and he's not taking any cloth. I have silk, yarn, and plant cloth, so he's clearly not on that step. I have over 100 rough gems, no dice. Several metal bars. Nothin. What does he want?

Can gems be hit by the "will only take favorites" thing? Can moods even go out of the order of the list?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10891 on: April 21, 2011, 03:44:41 am »

He might want two or three of one of the items on the list.
Never pet a burning dog.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10892 on: April 21, 2011, 07:09:13 am »

So, I've got a moody dwarf ... What does he want?

Note down what he says.  It'll go in a circle, so you won't necessarily know the starting point yet.  Just make sure you've got the full list jotted down somewhere, in order.  Let's say it's "leather, cloth, bars, rough gems, bones".

Can gems be hit by the "will only take favorites" thing? Can moods even go out of the order of the list?

Next step, use "t" to see what he's already got in the workshop.  Let's say he's got a pig tail cloth and nothing else.  Given the list above, that means "cloth" is the starting point, and he could still be on "cloth" (wanting more), or he could be on "bars".  If you've got 1 of each type of cloth, and he's not going for it, then he must be on bars.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10893 on: April 21, 2011, 07:26:48 am »

I'd actually build the hospital and the supplies, and see how it goes.  A bar of soap, some cloth, some thread, some splints.  You won't need crutches in that version, because they weren't implemented yet (back then).
I don't know how to make half of the stuff you mentioned

Hospital: this is a zone, so you make it with (i).  Designate a rectangle, then press (h) to mark the zone as your hospital.  Hospitals don't need to be particularly large, or have any particular shape or structure.  A 6x6 rectangle carved out of stone will do fine.  Once the zone has been marked, build a few beds and chests (coffers) in it.  The dwarves will automatically store hospital supplies in the coffers.

Thread: thread can be produced in 4 ways: first by slaughtering or butchering a large mammal, and then performing a "Spin Thread" job in a farmer's workshop; second by processing a pig tail or rope reed plant in a farmer's workshop; third by shearing a woolly mammal (sheep, alpaca, llama) in a farmer's workshop, and then doing a "Spin Thread" job in a farmer's workshop (not necessarily the same one); fourth by collecting cave spider or giant cave spider webs in a cavern (the job is performed from a loom, and the default setting is to collect all webs automatically -- you might want to disable that).

Cloth: cloth is woven from thread, but only from plant fiber, wool, or silk threads, not from slaughtered animal hair.  The weaving is done at a loom, and the default setting is to do it automatically.  Again, you may want to change that setting.  Personally, I like to disable auto web collection, and auto loom only dyed thread, and use only dyed cloth in the clothier's workshop.  The (o) (W) screen has all of these options.

Splints: these are produced in a carpenter's workshop, from wood.  If you didn't bring some on embark, then you can just make 3 or 4 of these, and you'll be fine for a very long time.  I think they're in the default embark inventory, but I always get rid of them, because they're so easy to produce upon arrival, assuming I embark somewhere with trees (which I always do).

Soap: this is the hard one, especially given how many bugs Lye has in various versions.  First you need some tallow, which means you need to slaughter or butcher something that isn't tiny.  The kitchen will automatically render the animal's fat into tallow.  By default, the tallow will be eligible for use in cooking meals, so you might want to mark it as not cookable in the (z) (Kitchen) screen.  Second, you need some lye.  Depending on which version and which set of bugs you've got, you might need the lye to be in a barrel; or you might need it to be in a bucket; or you might need it not to be in a stockpile.  Lye is produced from ash in an ashery, and ash is produced from wood in a wood burner's workshop.  Once you've got usable lye and tallow, you can make soap in a soap maker's workshop.  In some versions of DF, the soap workshop doesn't have the options to do this, and so you'd have to queue up the job through your manager -- (j) (m) (q) ("soap") (Enter) etc.  In 0.31.25 most of these bugs have been fixed, so you can just make the ash, then make the lye, then make the soap, all through their respective workshops, and it'll probably work.  But I still disable the storing of lye in food stockpiles, 'cause, y'know....

(There's also an option to make soap from oil instead of tallow, but you still need the lye, and it's the lye that usually gives the headaches, not the tallow.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10894 on: April 21, 2011, 07:55:22 am »

So if you want to desalinate water through use of a screw pump, smoothed walls work just as well as constructed ones, right?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10895 on: April 21, 2011, 07:58:22 am »

So if you want to desalinate water through use of a screw pump, smoothed walls work just as well as constructed ones, right?
wrong.
you must construct everything, even the floors, or else it doesn't work.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10896 on: April 21, 2011, 07:59:14 am »

The standard advice is that you must use constructed walls, not smoothed walls, but this does not appear to be always the case.  There appear to be a lot more factors involved in whether desalination works than just what the walls are made from, and so far I have not seen evidence that anyone understands just what the factors are.  I have only ever managed to get desalination to work reliably when using an all-aboveground cistern made entirely of constructed walls and floors.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10897 on: April 21, 2011, 08:04:14 am »

The standard advice is that you must use constructed walls, not smoothed walls, but this does not appear to be always the case.  There appear to be a lot more factors involved in whether desalination works than just what the walls are made from, and so far I have not seen evidence that anyone understands just what the factors are.  I have only ever managed to get desalination to work reliably when using an all-aboveground cistern made entirely of constructed walls and floors.

I see.

And...it doesn't work via bucket brigade, does it?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10898 on: April 21, 2011, 08:27:35 am »

Aren't you supposed to be able to embark with the sea shore actually on your map? I  can't seem to find any maps like that.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10899 on: April 21, 2011, 09:53:35 am »

Splints: these are produced in a carpenter's workshop, from wood.  If you didn't bring some on embark, then you can just make 3 or 4 of these, and you'll be fine for a very long time.  I think they're in the default embark inventory, but I always get rid of them, because they're so easy to produce upon arrival, assuming I embark somewhere with trees (which I always do).
You can also make them from metal at a forge or magma forge, if metal is more abundant than wood in your fort.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10900 on: April 21, 2011, 10:22:11 am »

anyone tell em how to kill bronze collosus adventure mode please

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10901 on: April 21, 2011, 11:02:14 am »

You'd need constructed walls and floor in a biome/region that has salt water. If you store it in a freshwater biome/region, smoothed should work.

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10902 on: April 21, 2011, 12:49:31 pm »

how do my military dwarves turn into elite versions (e.g. from AxeDwarf to AxeLord)? i've got some elites but i've also got standard types with all skills legendary plus kills. some even have extra long names. what's needed to boost them up?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10903 on: April 21, 2011, 12:52:52 pm »

Having their weapon skill over master is the only prerequisite, as far as I know.
There is also a bug where a weaponlord will lose their status when deactiveted from the military, then regain it whenever they gain weapon experience.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10904 on: April 21, 2011, 01:58:16 pm »

Aren't you supposed to be able to embark with the sea shore actually on your map? I  can't seem to find any maps like that.

Near the sea? O.o You'll most likely need to center your embark area on the ocean square itself, you can get anything from 50-50 land and water to 10-90, just look along the ocean squares that border the lands.

A quick question, is there a way to print out (notepadify) a transcript of a fortress? Announcements are nice, but I would like to have the history of every dwarf (what wounds, battles, etc) as well as births, marriages, deaths, artifacts made, etc. Combat reports would be nice too. I know there's legends, but is there a way to narrow down legends to just a single fortress or some other method that I'm missing? I want to gen a new region, but there's so much in my current region that I would hate to lose it.

Also, Can names weapons (by dwarves) be used in weapon traps or melted? And does the same apply to weapons with a dwarven slayer attributed to them?

Also also, can crutches be used as weapons and if so what skill determines their use? I'll find out sooner or later I reckon, but I'd rather not make Urist Mconeleg fight if he's just going to die.

Alsox3, how do I get rid of a honey bee colony? I'm tired of all the stinging alerts and crushed bees littering my refuse stockpile.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:11:36 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 ... 725 726 [727] 728 729 ... 1178