Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120068 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10845 on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:37 am »

Is there any way to control war animals?

Not directly, I just want to have them tag along for all my military encounters. Am I forced to chain them out at some location and wait for invaders to path over?

The other alternative is to periodically switch who is allowed to train war animals.  By default, until assigned to a chain / dwarf or pastured, war animals will follow the person who trained them.  So you could have your legendary stonecrafter take a few days to train half a dozen war dogs and they'll follow the stonecrafter around until assigned to other duties.

(The primary advantage here is that they will remain as "stray war dogs" and nobody will get upset if they die.  Assigning war dogs to dwarves turns them into named pets, with all the associated fun of dwarven attachment.)

CWheezy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10846 on: April 20, 2011, 02:06:08 am »

There seems to be no water on the Map I am playing in, is there any way to get water?

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10847 on: April 20, 2011, 02:06:41 am »

Have you checked all of the caverns completely?

CWheezy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10848 on: April 20, 2011, 02:24:29 am »

I dunno, I keep going down and not finding anything.

There used to be pools of water in the first few levels, but they ended up being full of sand after a year, can I can't find any anywhere else

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10849 on: April 20, 2011, 03:09:45 am »

Assuming you have no water on the surface of your map at all (i.e. no murky pools) and you've checked all three of the cavern layers for water and found none (which is rather unlikely to occur actually), there is no water on your map, and no way to get any without cheating. You could use dfHack's dfliquids utility to magically create water, but that's pretty much it. Although, you don't strictly NEED water for anything but keeping injured dwarfs in the hospital alive. Everyone else will just drink booze forever.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10850 on: April 20, 2011, 03:27:03 am »

The mountain pastures they destroyed 3 years ago are still bare...

Biome issues.  Soil in mountain biomes is flaky as hell.  It starts out grassy, but the grass doesn't grow back, and shrubs and trees never grow on it, and while you can BUILD a farm plot on it, you can't actually PLANT anything in that plot.

So it's what I feared... Well, there goes my plans for "traditionnal mountain pastures / River valley everything else" agriculture. *sigh* Time to seek the caverns, I guess...

Thanks  :)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10851 on: April 20, 2011, 04:00:08 am »

i hear lot of people speaking about "towers" and the like.
I suppose there is a way by using walls, since they are considered ground if you go 1 z level above. point is, how do i make "the floor" of the above ground?
and how much support is needed in order to avoid the "crashing down" of the entire "near flying" fortress?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10852 on: April 20, 2011, 04:21:12 am »

I suppose there is a way by using walls, since they are considered ground if you go 1 z level above. point is, how do i make "the floor" of the above ground?
and how much support is needed in order to avoid the "crashing down" of the entire "near flying" fortress?

One support made of soap will hold up anything. As for building up the z-levels you can just construct a series of up/down stairs to use as scaffolding.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10853 on: April 20, 2011, 04:53:55 am »

b-C-f
Be warned, though : you can't have a floor AND an wall on the same tile.
And tower construction projects tend to be accident-magnets, especially when you start deconstructing something.

So, FUN all around ^^

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10854 on: April 20, 2011, 02:20:55 pm »

What's the average bee colony size? I have 14k bees in a hive, that seems right. I'm also wondering if they can kill FPS.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10855 on: April 20, 2011, 02:24:54 pm »

You can build a floor ontop of a wall though, but there's not much point to it since it already has a floor. You can make above ground level floors by constructing floors next to an existing floor, or for a tower this is next to the wall  you built and one z level up.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10856 on: April 20, 2011, 02:29:57 pm »

A capybara just attacked and killed a dog. Fuck the what.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10857 on: April 20, 2011, 02:34:48 pm »

Hey, those things are 2 or 3 times the size of most dogs and have some pretty massive incisors ;D.
Memento Mori

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10858 on: April 20, 2011, 02:54:28 pm »

My only experience with capybaras is from AoE III, and I had guns in that... so yeah, it was a bit surprising when an animal that has been proven to kill got off'd by a disfigured giant rodent for seemingly no reason.

Jarhyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10859 on: April 20, 2011, 03:18:45 pm »

If I kill the monarch/baron, do more come? or can I just slaughter the useless ones? or if I slaughter them does that mean that my whole civilization gets unhappy thoughts and trigger a tantrum spiral? IE: how to get rid of useless snooty shitheads who make mandates that I can't possibly follow and then beat my craftsdwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 1178