Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120053 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10815 on: April 19, 2011, 07:50:56 am »

1. Is there something wrong with Beekeeping? I have about 8 hives, half of them flagged for collection, and 8 stone jugs and 4 glass jugs. Whenever I enable Beekeeping my dwarf just goes bananas and loops literally hundreds of error messages such as:

When you have multiple beekeepers and/or multiple beehives activated at the same time, you can get a situation where multiple dwarves try to harvest or gather the same beehive at the same time.  The first one to get to it gets the job done, and everyone else just stalls with canceled job spam.  You can clear individual dwarves by removing them from the job with the job manager screen, or temporarily marking the beehive causing the problem for deconstruction.  You can prevent the problem by only having one beekeeper dwarf and activating your beehives one at a time.

2. Did I dam my river wrong? It froze in the winter, I channeled a small ramp down and mined through the ice (on the same Z-level as the water) and built floodgates. Linked to levers, etc. Despite the floodgates being closed, water is still flowing. :/

When water freezes to ice, it deconstructs buildings in the same tile.  This includes floodgates.

Do grass ever grow back? Or are my Yaks destroying it forever by overgrazing their pastures?

It does grow back, but it can take years.  Yaks need huge amounts of pasture space.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10816 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:36 am »

Can dragonfire traverse Z-levels like crossbow bolts?
nope, it's currently only on 1 z-level.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: April 19, 2011, 02:12:51 pm »

Can you tame Panda Men/Women? If not what, if anything (besides killing them in interesting ways) can they be used for?

-MB

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: April 19, 2011, 02:16:01 pm »

probably no (unless you mod them somehow  ???), but they can probably be bought from the elves. You will only be able to slaughter them if ya mod. It's also possible that they are like in the older versions (where tigermen could be mayors :D) and so... yeah.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10819 on: April 19, 2011, 02:36:03 pm »

How do I make soap? I have the workshop, a soapmaker, the materials, but yet the option to actually make soap is painted in red. What do I do?

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:45 pm »

How do I make soap? I have the workshop, a soapmaker, the materials, but yet the option to actually make soap is painted in red. What do I do?

Are your lye buckets contaminated with stagnant water?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: April 19, 2011, 03:11:48 pm »

I had to designate some tallow "do not cook" and relocate my lye barrels before my soaper would go for it. Try that?

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: April 19, 2011, 03:16:10 pm »

probably no (unless you mod them somehow  ???), but they can probably be bought from the elves. You will only be able to slaughter them if ya mod. It's also possible that they are like in the older versions (where tigermen could be mayors :D) and so... yeah.

Shame.. I was hoping for some Panda Men politicians :) Oh well, I guess I'll have my military practice on them...

-MB

Vehine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: April 19, 2011, 03:27:17 pm »

That's not the problem, though. I've got 1 Beekeeper. I've cycled the job through all my dwarves individually and they all loop hundreds of errors.

1 Beekeeper, 8 hives, glitching too much for Final Destination. :<

Edit: Whoops. Deconstruct-flagging all the hives but one seems to move my dwarf into action ... now to see if it works.

Edit2: Woo! It does <3 <3
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:30:55 pm by Vehine »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: April 19, 2011, 03:33:38 pm »

The mountain pastures they destroyed 3 years ago are still bare...

Biome issues.  Soil in mountain biomes is flaky as hell.  It starts out grassy, but the grass doesn't grow back, and shrubs and trees never grow on it, and while you can BUILD a farm plot on it, you can't actually PLANT anything in that plot.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

popester

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: April 19, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »

Has there been a change recently in how cage traps work?  I've noticed that my mechanics will fail to build a cage trap in cases where there is a single tile wide corridor that I want to line with cage traps.  Can dwarves no longer traverse cage traps safely so it's causing them to not be able to reach the "inner" traps?

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10826 on: April 19, 2011, 04:10:55 pm »

mine set traps up fine in a 1tile corridor. (With .25)
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: April 19, 2011, 06:28:46 pm »

So I have a guy who has been possessed, he's a craftdwarf and has claimed a workshop (craft workshop), he wants "Leather.... Skin..." and "Metal.... Bars....".

I have over thirty tanned hides of various types and a variety of metal bars but he won't 'build'.  Now I've heard in the past they sometimes want specific kinds of leather, metal.. If I don't have those specific types (she likes 'gray gibbon', I have none of that and I doubt a caravan with it will be along too soon).

Am I out of luck?

-MB

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10828 on: April 19, 2011, 06:34:55 pm »

Are you sure those are the only things he wants?  Craftsdwarf workshops are used for stonecrafting, woodcrafting, and bonecrafting moods, so he should want a stone, log, or bone stack to start with.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: April 19, 2011, 06:36:26 pm »

Hmm, checking again it does list two other things (but repeats the leather/metal longer for some reason), he also wants stone and cloth thread.  I have both of those but making some blocks just in case.

ETA:

Made the blocks, no luck..

So he's requesting:
stone (stone.. rock..) I have tons of stone obviously, as well as stone blocks of varying types.  She likes microline but I haven't seen any of that around anywhere.
metal (metal.. bars..) Have many different kinds of metal bars as well as 'raw' metal.
cloth (cloth.. thread) Have many different kinds of cloth including yarn, silk, plant, etc
leather (leather.. skin..) Have many different kinds of leather (even tried slaughtering some animals if she somehow wanted skin, she prefers grey gibbon but I don't have any of that.

I have a feeling I'm about to lose a dwarf.

-MB
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:53:05 pm by Mickey Blue »
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 1178