Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119972 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10800 on: April 18, 2011, 09:02:08 pm »

You can turn off the pause/recentre spam, although you'll still have to deal with the drop in framerate. It's just not a good idea to run sourced water into magma.

You can, however, channel through the SMR and dump the water into the space underneath.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10801 on: April 18, 2011, 09:58:48 pm »

Out of curiosity, does death of old age cause a happiness hit in other dwarves?

Or a smaller one at least?

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10802 on: April 18, 2011, 11:26:23 pm »

Do berserk dwarves starve to death? Or do they not have to eat due to becoming an enemy?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10803 on: April 18, 2011, 11:37:47 pm »

I don't think they berserker enough to starve, although I've never had one survive long enough to survive. This merits !!Science!!

!!Science!! says yes, but it takes longer than usual unless Toady changed it recently.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Vehine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10804 on: April 19, 2011, 12:06:31 am »

1. Is there something wrong with Beekeeping? I have about 8 hives, half of them flagged for collection, and 8 stone jugs and 4 glass jugs. Whenever I enable Beekeeping my dwarf just goes bananas and loops literally hundreds of error messages such as:

Urist McHeadache cancels Collect Hive Products: job item lost or destroyed.

2. Did I dam my river wrong? It froze in the winter, I channeled a small ramp down and mined through the ice (on the same Z-level as the water) and built floodgates. Linked to levers, etc. Despite the floodgates being closed, water is still flowing. :/

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10805 on: April 19, 2011, 01:10:08 am »

Should I assign every bedroom for my dwarfs or they will choose by themselves??

You don't need to, but I generally do.  Especially if you have dwarved that are unhappy.  I make every dwarf a 5x5 room, and put a bed and two containers in one corner, a table and two chairs in another, a statue in the middle.  Make the statue a statue garden over the whole room and assign it, bedroom over the chests and assign it, table into a dining room over both chairs, and one of the chairs into a throne, over the table.

Combine this with regular lavish meals and boring plump helmet-made alcohol, and my dwarves are typically quite happy, especially after the engravers finish the public areas and start to hit the bedrooms.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10806 on: April 19, 2011, 01:36:50 am »

2. Did I dam my river wrong? It froze in the winter, I channeled a small ramp down and mined through the ice (on the same Z-level as the water) and built floodgates. Linked to levers, etc. Despite the floodgates being closed, water is still flowing. :/
Ice can get weird. Try toggling the gates.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10807 on: April 19, 2011, 02:51:56 am »

Can dragonfire traverse Z-levels like crossbow bolts?

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10808 on: April 19, 2011, 04:15:19 am »

Do grass ever grow back? Or are my Yaks destroying it forever by overgrazing their pastures?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10809 on: April 19, 2011, 05:23:45 am »

It grows back. If your yaks are eating it faster then it regrows consider making a larger pasture.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10810 on: April 19, 2011, 05:28:16 am »

Question, do dwarves have a random chance of screwing up when channeling a floor that hangs midair? I've inconsistently been getting cave ins, suffice it to say my medic has been getting a lot of experience.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10811 on: April 19, 2011, 05:30:01 am »

Also how do I retrieve dead dwarves from a lake? Pumps?

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10812 on: April 19, 2011, 07:34:16 am »

Question, do dwarves have a random chance of screwing up when channeling a floor that hangs midair? I've inconsistently been getting cave ins, suffice it to say my medic has been getting a lot of experience.
I'd say yes. One dwarf is predictable, but several miners working together and getting in each other's way will create a nice random-accident-prone environment. Same goes for masons and demolition crews.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10813 on: April 19, 2011, 07:36:15 am »

It grows back. If your yaks are eating it faster then it regrows consider making a larger pasture.

Yaks are eating machines.  Slaughter them.

I don't know how big an area it takes to feed a single yak, but it's definitely bigger than 5x5, because when I tried it with 5x5 private pastures, I had to rotate them every couple months.

And yaks have parts that can single-part-edly *CLUTTER* a workshop.  Even a single yak hair will do that.  Rendering all their bones into bolts takes ages.

Stupid yaks.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10814 on: April 19, 2011, 07:38:22 am »

Even if they grazed it to the soil? The mountain pastures they destroyed 3 years ago are still bare...
I think my yak herd is going to visit the butcher soon. A shame : They breed quickly, they produce huge quantities of meat and bone, and they have nice, soft furs.
And they're resilient ambush magnets, too. *Sigh*
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 1178