Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119917 times)

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10755 on: April 16, 2011, 03:43:43 pm »

Hey about those dead migrants, you can make tablets or some such at a craftsdwarf workshop and have them engraved to memoralize a specific dwarf by an engraver, also in the craftsdwarf workshop. That way you can put a restless dwarf to rest without having to retrieve the body.
Make slab in a mason's workshop, engrave in a craftsdwarf's.

Ery_Kray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: April 16, 2011, 04:26:24 pm »

Hey about those dead migrants, you can make tablets or some such at a craftsdwarf workshop and have them engraved to memoralize a specific dwarf by an engraver, also in the craftsdwarf workshop. That way you can put a restless dwarf to rest without having to retrieve the body.

Also noticed a similar thing with migrant keeping coming regardless of pop cap, until recently however, now  things are quiet. Maybe a lot more migrant waves are hardcoded, for me it was enough to get up to 60 dwarves before it finally stopped.

Thanks for an advice. I've found this solution by myself, but still thanks.
It's funny, after i wrote a first post about migrants, they stopped to come! It really seems that several waves must come. So the last migrant remain to die an everything will be fine. I wonder how he managed to stay alive for a year without food and drink...
In another fort after passing to 0.31.25 i had one immigration wave when cap was 100 and actual population was about 110. But then nobody arrived for 2 years until I paused this fort. Smth seems to be buggy here...

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: April 16, 2011, 05:46:10 pm »

Are honey badgers as tough as they are in realife as they are in df? Bastards keep harrassing me and they seem to be tough as nails.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: April 16, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »

What do the 'C' and 'S' mean in the upper left border?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10759 on: April 16, 2011, 06:06:42 pm »

You have new combat and sparring reports, H is for hunting report.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: April 16, 2011, 06:41:46 pm »

Thanks, tolkafox.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: April 16, 2011, 07:11:59 pm »

Are honey badgers as tough as they are in realife as they are in df? Bastards keep harrassing me and they seem to be tough as nails.

To quote wikipedia...

"Because of the toughness and looseness of their skin, honey badgers are very difficult to kill with dogs. Their skin is hard to penetrate, and its looseness allows them to twist and turn on their attackers when held. The only safe grip on a honey badger is on the back of the neck. The skin is also tough enough to resist several machete blows. The only sure way of killing them quickly is through a blow to the skull with a club or a shot to the head with a powerful rifle, as their skin is almost impervious to arrows and spears."

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: April 16, 2011, 10:51:59 pm »

On the topic of migrant waves: the first two waves will come regardless of anything else, even if your civ is dead, even if the world is dead.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #10763 on: April 16, 2011, 11:46:02 pm »

On the topic of migrant waves: the first two waves will come regardless of anything else, even if your civ is dead, even if the world is dead.
But does anyone know why they keep coming even after the population cap has been reached? Is it a bug or some sort of weird game mechanics?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: April 16, 2011, 11:55:37 pm »

The current theory is that the number of migration waves you get is determined at the start of the year, so if you are under the cap it can decide to send 2 or 3 waves even if the first one sends you over the cap. That's what I have heard on the forum but I have no hard proof.
Memento Mori

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: April 17, 2011, 12:07:14 am »

That'll help?

Yup the heavier the bin, the less stuff will move around after being abandoned.  Copper works ok, lead is the best cheap metal to do this with if you have it.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #10766 on: April 17, 2011, 12:08:52 am »

The current theory is that the number of migration waves you get is determined at the start of the year, so if you are under the cap it can decide to send 2 or 3 waves even if the first one sends you over the cap. That's what I have heard on the forum but I have no hard proof.
Yeah, I remember that my last big wave came in autumn... thanks a lot, I'll try to check this once more next time.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: April 17, 2011, 04:10:03 am »

Does melting a masterwork item enrage it's maker?

Ery_Kray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: April 17, 2011, 04:58:08 am »

OK, but since the only beginning I put pop cap 1, but waves come. Now after a year or more one more wave came to me... I is sixth or seventh...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: April 17, 2011, 06:19:58 am »

Does melting a masterwork item enrage it's maker?
Depends how many they've got. Last time I checked the bad thought was -1000/number of created masterpieces, and selling off masterpieces doesn't count as destroying them. I don't know whether sold items are removed from the count, or act as insurance against acts of destruction.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1178