Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119853 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10740 on: April 16, 2011, 10:59:20 am »

Quick one. My fort has 3 farm plots. One for plump helmets, one for Sweet pods and one for Quarry bushes.

The plump helmet one is filled with seeds, and is not a problem. However, the two others are totally ignored by my two farmers. They just hang around with no job until a plump helmet grows. Except for bushes, there is ONE planted.

There is a crop assigned for each season and I have plenty of seeds ( 200 ) that are also at reach ( 5 feet away )

There can't be a crop of Sweet Pods or Quarry Bushes assigned each season... they only GROW two seasons per year.

*nitpick* Quarry bushes grow during 3 seasons.

Quarry bushes are one of the odd underground crops, not as straightforward as the others.  I think you have to process them at a farmer's workshop in order to get seeds back (and to have cookable leaves, the raw harvested leaves are not cookable). 

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Quarry_bush

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: April 16, 2011, 11:07:57 am »

"One of"? The only straightforward underground crop is the plump helmet.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: April 16, 2011, 11:39:39 am »

That'll help?
According to magmawiki - yes, it will reduce clutter
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #10743 on: April 16, 2011, 11:52:42 am »

Does changing [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3] work with an already existing save?

And is baron appointing still bugged? The bugtracker says it's been fixed but I hadn't been able to elect my tin-loving baroness until the third year with 50+ pop and the caravan already departed (like in the previous versions) so I'm kinda confused.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: April 16, 2011, 12:08:52 pm »

Use lead bins (or platinum, sth very heavy)

Gold is significantly denser than lead and seems to be super-abundant in this release, so it's probably your best bet for bins. Note that it will take a really long time for your dwarves to haul heavy metal bins around, so put the forge near your stockpiles.

Ery_Kray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: April 16, 2011, 12:13:20 pm »

How to completely stop immigration? To make migrants never come at all? I'm trying to create the fortress where only one family lives: male and female dwarves at the beginning then their children, then the children of their children... and so on. But migrants are coming despite of population cap 1 in d_init being put. It's too ennoying to kill them and requires some actions to rest their ghosts souls (i have not succeeded in it yet, but i expect i'll get rid of these damn ghosts).
Sorry, this question should have been discussed somewhere, but it's too difficult to find it.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: April 16, 2011, 12:54:07 pm »

The first migrant wave is hardcoded I think, the ones after that should stop if your population already exceeds the cap.

Shut off acces and let the migrants die would be your only option to stop the first I think. Or creative use of magma.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10747 on: April 16, 2011, 12:55:21 pm »

I have a cylcops locked inside a box with a floodgate to let him out...if I let him out during a goblin siege, will he attack the goblins?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: April 16, 2011, 01:02:29 pm »

Unless the cyclops is somehow a  member of the goblin civ, yes it should attack the goblins I believe.

Ery_Kray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: April 16, 2011, 01:19:25 pm »

The first migrant wave is hardcoded I think, the ones after that should stop if your population already exceeds the cap.

There were five or six migration waves already...

Shut off acces and let the migrants die would be your only option to stop the first I think. Or creative use of magma.

Yeah, it's that I'm doing. But first three ot four waves were sunk in a mirky pool while it was raining (i dried it to make my field), their bodies remained on the bottom and three ghosts appeared. I expect the necessity to bury migrants or the ghosts will continue to appear. It's ennoying.
Another thing is that fortress reputation becomes worse if there are a lot of dead dwarves. It may not matter though...

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #10750 on: April 16, 2011, 01:21:30 pm »

the ones after that should stop if your population already exceeds the cap
They just don't stop! My population cap is 30 but they keep coming and coming and coming. 52 dorfs right now.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: April 16, 2011, 02:40:40 pm »

Water doesn't spread diagonally, right? If I build a dam like this:

WDDD
D---

Where W is water, D is dam (wall) and - is the river floor, then it won't flow diagonally between those walls, right?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Ery_Kray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: April 16, 2011, 02:48:51 pm »

WDDD
D---

Where W is water, D is dam (wall) and - is the river floor, then it won't flow diagonally between those walls, right?

Water does spread diagonally. It'll flow.
It's the way to make water pressure normal.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:04:08 pm by Ery_Kray »

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: April 16, 2011, 03:23:42 pm »

WDDD
D---

Water does spread diagonally. It'll flow.
It's the way to make water pressure normal.

Half of my fortress population jus drowned.

Shoulda waited for that answer...
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: April 16, 2011, 03:35:19 pm »

Hey about those dead migrants, you can make tablets or some such at a craftsdwarf workshop and have them engraved to memoralize a specific dwarf by an engraver, also in the craftsdwarf workshop. That way you can put a restless dwarf to rest without having to retrieve the body.

Also noticed a similar thing with migrant keeping coming regardless of pop cap, until recently however, now  things are quiet. Maybe a lot more migrant waves are hardcoded, for me it was enough to get up to 60 dwarves before it finally stopped.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:42:32 pm by Jelle »
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1178