Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119855 times)

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10725 on: April 15, 2011, 11:03:58 pm »

Are your farmers doing other work, or just idling?
Are you sure the two plots are entirely on soil/mud?
How long ago was the season change?

Idling.

It is entirely on soil. This was used correctly in the first year or so.
Pretty long time ago. Hard to tell with the FPS dropping and all.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: April 15, 2011, 11:08:33 pm »

Quick one. My fort has 3 farm plots. One for plump helmets, one for Sweet pods and one for Quarry bushes.

The plump helmet one is filled with seeds, and is not a problem. However, the two others are totally ignored by my two farmers. They just hang around with no job until a plump helmet grows. Except for bushes, there is ONE planted.

There is a crop assigned for each season and I have plenty of seeds ( 200 ) that are also at reach ( 5 feet away )

There can't be a crop of Sweet Pods or Quarry Bushes assigned each season... they only GROW two seasons per year.
Never pet a burning dog.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: April 15, 2011, 11:10:55 pm »

I have plump helmets assigned for other seasons.

The problem right now is that it's quarry bush planting them and they'd rather mop around the meeting hall.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: April 15, 2011, 11:17:57 pm »

The problem right now is that it's quarry bush planting them and they'd rather mop around the meeting hall.

... and you have plenty of Quarry Bush seeds? Not forbidden? Not sure what the problem would be.
Never pet a burning dog.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: April 15, 2011, 11:34:23 pm »

... and you have plenty of Quarry Bush seeds? Not forbidden? Not sure what the problem would be.

I remade the farms and now it works. Guess it'll forever be a mystery.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: April 15, 2011, 11:35:20 pm »

Quick one. My fort has 3 farm plots. One for plump helmets, one for Sweet pods and one for Quarry bushes.

The plump helmet one is filled with seeds, and is not a problem. However, the two others are totally ignored by my two farmers. They just hang around with no job until a plump helmet grows. Except for bushes, there is ONE planted.

There is a crop assigned for each season and I have plenty of seeds ( 200 ) that are also at reach ( 5 feet away )

There can't be a crop of Sweet Pods or Quarry Bushes assigned each season... they only GROW two seasons per year.
*nitpick* Quarry bushes grow during 3 seasons.
Memento Mori

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: April 16, 2011, 02:54:06 am »

I remade the farms and now it works. Guess it'll forever be a mystery.

Actually you might have let them lie fallow too long before planting so they weren't useable?

I don't know about current versions, but I do know that mud used to dry up after a while if a farm was unused for more than one growing season.  I discovered this when I had one farmer with a 5x5 plump helmet farm producing far more than my entire fortress needed even when growing every other season.  So I made them grow only 1 season per year, and he never grew anything on the farm again until I re-wet the ground (I didn't redesignate the farm, just flooded it)  It did the same thing the next year.  So I started growing pigtails once a year and plump helmets once a year, and every other season fallow.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: April 16, 2011, 04:40:04 am »

I've another question.

How do I keep my miners from being stupid by channeling away the floor underneath them, wich is the only thing keeping them from a falling death?
I swear I made every safety precaution as to avoid cave ins, but the miners are just so dumb they manage to screw up one way or another.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10733 on: April 16, 2011, 05:41:49 am »

I've another question.

How do I keep my miners from being stupid by channeling away the floor underneath them, wich is the only thing keeping them from a falling death?
I swear I made every safety precaution as to avoid cave ins, but the miners are just so dumb they manage to screw up one way or another.

Be calm, and do ONLY one channel order at the time.
it's slow, it's nerving, but it's the only way.
one tile at the time, or ONLY one layer at the time.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: April 16, 2011, 06:04:56 am »

I'm currently channeling row per row, but what the dwarf is doing is this

FFF  FDF CDF  CDC  CCC

BDB

F floor D dwarf C channel B dwarfblood.

I might try zigzag, channel half a row with one tile inbetween, then do the rest. If they still channel underneath they deserve to die.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: April 16, 2011, 10:13:26 am »

What's the maximum number of bolts a marksdwarf can carry? You can *assign* a ton of bolts to the squad, but how many do they actually carry in their quiver?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: April 16, 2011, 10:37:37 am »

Is it possible to make it so my fortress dosen't have everything move around in it after abbandoning? This is mainly because I want a vault for artefacts for adventure mode.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: April 16, 2011, 10:41:48 am »

Use lead bins (or platinum, sth very heavy)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: April 16, 2011, 10:43:00 am »

That'll help?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10739 on: April 16, 2011, 10:48:25 am »

What's the maximum number of bolts a marksdwarf can carry? You can *assign* a ton of bolts to the squad, but how many do they actually carry in their quiver?

it should be 20 (like in adventurer mode) but common sense would say 25 since it's how bolts are stacked...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1178