Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119800 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10710 on: April 15, 2011, 02:11:57 pm »

Yes it should flow into your channel and eventually overflow.

Nah. The bottom of the cistern is on the same level as the brook. Once the tunnel and the cistern is completely full, I shut the floodgate into the tunnel and open the dam.

Brooks auto-refill to 7/7, so you'd just flood the area around the brook, wouldn't you?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10711 on: April 15, 2011, 02:13:53 pm »

Yes it should flow into your channel and eventually overflow.

Nah. The bottom of the cistern is on the same level as the brook. Once the tunnel and the cistern is completely full, I shut the floodgate into the tunnel and open the dam.

Brooks auto-refill to 7/7, so you'd just flood the area around the brook, wouldn't you?

Uh...I don't think so, mate.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: April 15, 2011, 02:29:42 pm »

Oh, did not see the floodgate and dam opening mechanisms.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: April 15, 2011, 02:35:56 pm »

Why shouldnt it stay 3/7? As long as the input equals the output nothing changes.
Only concern I had with your idea was that in the instant the hatches open, water will immediatley flow downwards OUT of your bath while the new water from the input would be still on its way to reach the bath - the amount of water in your pool would have dropped slightly depending on how far up the input hatch would be.

But nice engineering, I might try that :P

No no it doesn't seem to be so simple. The outflow of water is reliant on the pressure of the water in the body, so how high it is as well as the shape of the outlet. Whereas the input has a constant 7/7 source of water so only reliant on my channel shape. I think if I want to have a higher level of water I'll have to increase the input by widening its channel width and decrease the width of the output channel.

I guess it would translate to a fine differential equation if you want to turn it into math. water level reliant on input and output, output reliant on water level and outlet shape and input reliant on water level source and input shape. Complex stuff xD

Infact for the sake of testing I started with the bath filled 7/7 and let it stabilize, afterwards start empty 0/7 or 1/7 here and then from leftovers, and let it stabilize. It always ended up at the same water level.

theeggman85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: April 15, 2011, 02:36:38 pm »

I've got a quick question. I haven't played DF in about 9 months, and there's been a lot of updates since. Can you get your military to use bows and crossbows now?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: April 15, 2011, 02:38:27 pm »

You should be, I haven't tried myself but I think the bug where you couldn't equip your military with bolts has been fixed.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: April 15, 2011, 07:17:52 pm »

its fixed so its safe to make markdwarves again your bone bolts are safe from your cheese maker praticing a useful skill for once
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: April 15, 2011, 07:52:50 pm »

I make melee squads and crossbow squads.  I let them both train in the barracks, but I do not make archery ranges.  When I want my crossbowdwarves to get better, I either let them shoot something (caged goblins released in a controlled setting), or I stick 'em in a danger room so they can boost their shield skill.

And yeah, make sure they've got shields.  Nothing else is as important as that.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ATR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: April 15, 2011, 08:17:31 pm »

I have a little question, one I have not found an answer to anywhere. I would like to know how the resulting colour is chosen of a structure that requires more than 1 item to construct. Example, a bridge, a kennel, etc. Is the colour determined by, for example, whichever stone the majority of the item is constructed with? So, a bridge requiring 11 items, if 6 are andesite, and 5 wood, it will be grey, but with the opposite numbers, brown?

Thanks!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: April 15, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »

I have a little question, one I have not found an answer to anywhere. I would like to know how the resulting colour is chosen of a structure that requires more than 1 item to construct. Example, a bridge, a kennel, etc. Is the colour determined by, for example, whichever stone the majority of the item is constructed with? So, a bridge requiring 11 items, if 6 are andesite, and 5 wood, it will be grey, but with the opposite numbers, brown?

Thanks!

Actually, (not 100% sure on this) I think color is determined by the first item you designate. So if you grab one orthoclase block and 10 andesite, it'll be yellow. Can't find corroborating evidence though, so take it for what it's worth.

theeggman85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: April 15, 2011, 09:00:46 pm »

hi, once again its been a while since i've played DF. Does the choose fortress location screen say "coal" explicitly if there is coal in the area, or is it under a subcategory like shallow metals?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: April 15, 2011, 09:54:56 pm »

In current versions, as far as I know, it is impossible to tell whether a site has coal or lignite.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: April 15, 2011, 10:31:18 pm »

Quick question about crossbowdwarves: for a while, I've been trying to get my dwarves to use training bolts (wood bolts, bone bolts). I have the neccessary stuff set up in ammunition, with bone and wood bolts set as train, and metal bolts set as combat. They outright refuse to give up their iron bolts and use training bolts. Is there a workaround?

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: April 15, 2011, 10:32:24 pm »

Quick one. My fort has 3 farm plots. One for plump helmets, one for Sweet pods and one for Quarry bushes.

The plump helmet one is filled with seeds, and is not a problem. However, the two others are totally ignored by my two farmers. They just hang around with no job until a plump helmet grows. Except for bushes, there is ONE planted.

There is a crop assigned for each season and I have plenty of seeds ( 200 ) that are also at reach ( 5 feet away )

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: April 15, 2011, 10:49:46 pm »

Are your farmers doing other work, or just idling?
Are you sure the two plots are entirely on soil/mud?
How long ago was the season change?
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 1178