Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118961 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10590 on: April 11, 2011, 09:24:43 pm »

Also, how far must something relatively normal sized (goblin-ish, perhaps) fall in order to explode into its constituent parts on impact? Would upright spikes help?

12Z (10Z will not guarantee a kill and/or splatter) for pits.  Some say 15Z for maximum splatter, but 12Z does the job for me. After that point, you're just dropping them farther for fun.

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:56 pm »

*snip*
EDIT: How do I set equipment in uniforms? I can't find the default metal armor uniform's stuff in there, just some leather and clothing.
Use the material function (Capital M). It might not work on the presets for some reason, but it works on custom uniforms.
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: April 11, 2011, 09:57:06 pm »

EDIT: How do I set equipment in uniforms? I can't find the default metal armor uniform's stuff in there, just some leather and clothing.

You cannot choose the default settings once you remove them.  They're not on the list.  You have to select more specific choices, such as "metal mail shirt" and "cloak".
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: April 11, 2011, 10:00:10 pm »

You cannot choose the default settings once you remove them.  They're not on the list.  You have to select more specific choices, such as "metal mail shirt" and "cloak".

More specifically, you have to add [A]rmor, then select breastplates and mail shirts and what have you from that list, and then [L]egwear and get your greaves, and so on and so forth. Then go through all the things you selected and change their [M]aterial to metal.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: April 12, 2011, 03:20:23 am »

Something I couldn't find on the wiki : I sometime see colored letters on the left broder on the screen (often a red C, but I've seen at least another one).
What do they mean?

OK, found it by searching "Red C" on the wiki.
I had a hunch this was related to reports or announcements. A Combat report warning? This will definitely be useful  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:25:41 am by kardwill »

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: April 12, 2011, 03:25:43 am »

Is it possible to find the seed of a world I generated a few days ago?

Nevermind, once again after 45 minutes of searching I find the answer 30 seconds after posting >.<
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:57:24 am by Darkweave »

Ery_Kray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: April 12, 2011, 12:13:52 pm »

I've a strange thing happened after i'd passed to 0.31.25 from 0.31.21: i had a flock of cows for my meat industry, almost all of them were on the restraints. After a month or so my cows started to die from starvation... Now only six of them are still alive, but they are not expected to stay alive for a long time because of starving... I released them from restraint, but it does not seem to help.

So the domestic animals began to demand food? What kind of food? How to feed them? Or it's a bug?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10597 on: April 12, 2011, 12:26:53 pm »

So the domestic animals began to demand food? What kind of food? How to feed them? Or it's a bug?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80910.msg2128908
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: April 12, 2011, 01:02:48 pm »

So, anyone succesfully edited the attribute gains so that one can gain strenght etc at normal rates?
Right now I'm gaining 0 even after mining for 5 years (or woodcutting for same) , modifying it with the cheat values grants Instant skill gain but that is definitely not what I want.

I have done the following mod to test out, perhaps some further enhancements could fix it?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jaredus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: April 12, 2011, 01:36:26 pm »

Does the number of novice skills affect the likelihood of getting a mood? For instance, if I got a bunch of my dwarves up to at least novice weaponsmith skill, will it be more likely that the next dwarf to get overtaken by a mood will take over a forge?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: April 12, 2011, 01:39:14 pm »

The three numbers after the skill gain rate are the rust timers, representing the number of time units (don't know how long a unit is) it takes for a skill to count down to rusting, start rusting, and lose levels. 1:1:1 on skills at least will drop a High Master down to nothing in a little over a month.

Try 50:50:50 if you want to slow decay.

@Jaredus

Yes, so long as they didn't have any other moodable skills at a higher level than weaponsmithing. I don't know what order skills are picked in in case of a tie, but in the absense of any knowledge I'd guess the order that's in the string dump.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: April 12, 2011, 02:27:10 pm »

Will collapsing a constructed wall onto a ramp (from 1 z-level up):

a) Place the constructed wall where the ramp was,
b) Destroy both the wall and the ramp,
or c) Destroy only the wall, but not the ramp?

I'm making a dam in a brook so that the cistern connected to the brook will fill up faster (it's turgidly slow right now...), at least I think it will do that. It's connected to the brook with a (loooooong) one-tile wide tunnel, and it's about halfway along the brook (it's really just kind of a small bend near one of the map's corners, kind of a shitty brook, but hey, water is water), so I think most of the water is not flowing into the tunnel but rather downstream. To prevent this, I'm...hold on, let me draw you a rough diagram:

X = brook
O = where the wall will be
T = tunnel (part)

xxxx
xxxxtttttttttt
oooo

It's not exactly accurate, but it gets the point across.

Anyway, if somebody has an answer, I'd love to hear it. If the answer is either B or C, I'll have to abandon this project. Or just change a few steps, I don't quite know yet.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: April 12, 2011, 02:37:06 pm »

A constructed wall will deconstruct when caved in. Sorry.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: April 12, 2011, 02:46:12 pm »

A constructed wall will deconstruct when caved in. Sorry.

Really? I'd been told this was explicitly not the case...what with the aquifer-plugging method working the way it does.

Wait. The upper level of the brook counts as a floor tile, right? Would it go through that?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: April 12, 2011, 02:53:12 pm »

A constructed wall will deconstruct. A natural wall will stay a wall.

Both will still punch through floors.
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1178