Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118934 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10575 on: April 10, 2011, 01:48:37 pm »

Height and broadness are both capable of adding 125% to a dwarf's size, right? If a dwarf hits 125% on both of those, do they end up with a body size of 75000 (average of the two) or 90000 (125% added twice to the base of 60000)?

To avoid screwing up your equipment you could check out the dwarf's stats. They only need to be a little bigger than average.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10576 on: April 10, 2011, 06:03:14 pm »

Is there any practical effect on objects like hatch covers from being mangled? You can still build them, does it affect performance somehow? If so, is there an easy way to isolate mangled objects into a stockpile besides manual dumping?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10577 on: April 10, 2011, 06:11:54 pm »

What does the game expect you to do with the corpses of your enemies?

I know I'd eat it if I were playing Elf Forest instead of DF, but DF is the game I'm playing, so.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: April 10, 2011, 06:15:54 pm »

I know I'd eat it if I were playing Elf Forest instead of DF, but DF is the game I'm playing, so.
Dump 'em in magma. They have pretty much no use at all.

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: April 10, 2011, 07:03:49 pm »

How many bars of metal do various items (Edit: IE weapons and armor) need to be created?

Edit2: Also, is there a set height for a Z-level?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:19:22 pm by Watwar5 »
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: April 10, 2011, 08:34:56 pm »

They're supposed to require 1 to 3, depending on the item, but thanks to a bug, each and every one requires only 1 bar.

There are no "official" in-game to real-world size conversions. For all practical purposes, a square has exactly the same height as it does length and width.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: April 10, 2011, 08:54:40 pm »

They're supposed to require 1 to 3, depending on the item, but thanks to a bug, each and every one requires only 1 bar.

There are no "official" in-game to real-world size conversions. For all practical purposes, a square has exactly the same height as it does length and width.

Which is sufficient to contain 9001 dragons, provided 9000 of them are lying down.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10582 on: April 11, 2011, 08:57:28 am »

again here i am with the question:
i ain't finding caverns! not one of them! what am i doing wrong?! ç_ç
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10583 on: April 11, 2011, 09:05:19 am »

You aren't digging deep enough.  Keep digging downward, you'll hit something eventually.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: April 11, 2011, 09:38:48 am »

You aren't digging deep enough.  Keep digging downward, you'll hit something eventually.
also, dig sideways periodically. it's rare, but possible, to bypass them just going down.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: April 11, 2011, 11:29:47 am »

Ah. So pretty much corner them off in their own little quarantined section? Damn. Oh well. When my fortress grows, I'll probably create factories of sorts with some stockpiles, and plenty of stone, all for the purpose of creating a lot.

Thanks for your answer :)

They don't need to be "quarantined" any more. That's the beauty of the burrow system. They do have to have their own food/drink stockpiles in there, though. At least, they did last time I used this trick (poor, poor crafters, off hunting vermin and dehydrating to husks.)

Enemy PARTS that decompose into bones are useful, though. Make bone bolts out of 'em.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:34:39 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: April 11, 2011, 12:00:38 pm »

Quote from: Flaede link=topic=52208.msg2174562#msg2174562 date=13025
[quote author=FuzzyZergling link=topic=52208.msg2172144#msg2172144 date=1302477354
Enemy PARTS that decompose into bones are useful, though. Make bone bolts out of 'em.
[/quote]

Note that it may take years for enemy corpses to decompose into useable bones, since dwarves won't butcher skeletons or corpses of sentient creatures. You can get around this by making them explode into gibs when they die, though, easiest method being via an extremely long fall.

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: April 11, 2011, 03:03:29 pm »

Are the ashes left behind by fire creatures usable for anything? An FB made of fire just lit my entire cavern system (So much flammable moss!) on fire.
Also, are creatures made of fire similarly easy to kill as things made of steam, water, etc?
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: April 11, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »

What's the effect of pressure on creatures? Say I have a staircase that seals off at the top and bottom, then hits whatever's inside with 10 Z-levels of pressurized water from all four sides. Would that cause stuff to implode?

Also, how far must something relatively normal sized (goblin-ish, perhaps) fall in order to explode into its constituent parts on impact? Would upright spikes help?

EDIT: How do I set equipment in uniforms? I can't find the default metal armor uniform's stuff in there, just some leather and clothing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:40:39 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: April 11, 2011, 08:49:30 pm »

What's the effect of pressure on creatures? Say I have a staircase that seals off at the top and bottom, then hits whatever's inside with 10 Z-levels of pressurized water from all four sides. Would that cause stuff to implode?
Pressure in DF doesn't work quite like that. Doing that will drown the creatures, as long as they're not amphibious. More z-levels is another layer of 'pressure' as there is more water that wants to teleport to available squares.

Also, how far must something relatively normal sized (goblin-ish, perhaps) fall in order to explode into its constituent parts on impact? Would upright spikes help?
Somewhere between 10 and 12 z-levels; I like using ~20 Z-levels just to err on the side of cruelty caution.

No idea about uniforms.
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 1178