Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118790 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10530 on: April 09, 2011, 05:30:41 am »

That is correct. however, you will need to channel some more after the first pump is put in. Like this:
_.._V
V_..A
A.._V
V_..A
A.._V
V__A
A__water source.

that way the pumps power each other without using mechanisms. you will need 20 power for each level, plus 5 for each gear assembly, plus 1 for three tiles of axles.
with your current setup you will likely need at least 150-200 power.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: April 09, 2011, 05:39:08 am »

so thats like...what? 10-20 windmills?

also, i have a question about monarchy...what the f*ck is this shit about OFFERING stuff to the caravans? and making roads i just saw it on the wiki as the requirements, normally i dont hit barony till like, i have almost 200 people anyway for god sakes

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: April 09, 2011, 05:42:23 am »

1. Yeah, around 10 I think (I don't use them much). Don't forget that waterwheels work too, and they are fine for this.
2. Offering is through the trading menu, "offer selected goods". Building roads/bridges help getting kings.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: April 09, 2011, 07:10:54 am »

I think Ive done something stupid with my raws...

I modded PET_EXOTIC on a GCS, tamed using kennel and went to pit him and... Its a very angry stray... Poor Urist Hauler just got his guts ripped out... What am I missing?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: April 09, 2011, 07:12:01 am »

I think Ive done something stupid with my raws...

I modded PET_EXOTIC on a GCS, tamed using kennel and went to pit him and... Its a very angry stray... Poor Urist Hauler just got his guts ripped out... What am I missing?
this is perfectly fine.
you can't safely tame animals that have killed (attacked?) one of your dwarves.

tough luck  :-\
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: April 09, 2011, 07:19:16 am »

Oh yeeeeeah! Thanks Toly  :) New plan: spider is already locked in the arena building behind a bridge... The Panda Men will LEARN.

Actually, thats not gonna work is it... Right its all getting drowned.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:20:51 am by Komus »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: April 09, 2011, 07:53:36 am »

also, i have a question about monarchy...what the f*ck is this shit about OFFERING stuff to the caravans? and making roads i just saw it on the wiki as the requirements, normally i dont hit barony till like, i have almost 200 people anyway for god sakes

You might be reading outdated information.  That sounds like 40d.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Baron is updated for DF2010 (0.31.*).  You only need 20 population, 100k created wealth, and 10k exported to become a Barony.  You don't need to send tribute or build roads.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: April 09, 2011, 08:19:21 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Baron is updated for DF2010 (0.31.*).  You only need 20 population, 100k created wealth, and 10k exported to become a Barony.  You don't need to send tribute or build roads.
He wants to become a capital, not a barony.

Oh yeeeeeah! Thanks Toly  :) New plan: spider is already locked in the arena building behind a bridge... The Panda Men will LEARN.

if you dump them in from the above, it will work. Unless you mess up  :P
ur welcome!
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: April 09, 2011, 09:37:39 am »

Yes, a monarch is different from a baron.  Being offered a promotion for barony tends to come pretty automatically, while the king or queen requires all that extra stuff.  Later in the game, perhaps once you've got a duke or a count (which also tend to come automatically in the growth of a fort), there will be an option for Becoming the {c}apital on the {n}obles screen, which will show you what you need for a monarch and how much of it you've done.  Barons and baronesses aren't promoted up to kings and queens... the monarch will arrive some time after you've fulfilled their requirements.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: April 09, 2011, 11:43:48 am »

if you dump them in from the above, it will work. Unless you mess up  :P
ur welcome!

Too late, everyone is drowned. That solves that :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: April 09, 2011, 12:16:56 pm »

The channelled tiles don't go next to each other. Floor tiles should look like this:

Code: [Select]
__ _ #
# _ _#
#_ _ #
# _ _#
#_ _ #
# _ _#
#___ #
####____water source

Once the pumps are built, it should look something like this:

Code: [Select]
__%% #
# %%_#
#_%% #
# %%_#
#_%% #
# %%_#
#_%% #
##!#____water source

Pumps consume 10 power each. Placing a vertical axle where the ! is and connecting it to the top of a water reactor results in a power drain of 91: 70 for the stack, 20 for the two reactor components, and 1 for the axle.

Use a water reactor instead of a windmill farm, it will be so much easier. You lose 5 power just by connecting each windmill to a gear, and windmills only generate 40 or 20 power.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Taren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: April 09, 2011, 12:29:29 pm »

How do I get my cleaners to clean squares with traps on?

My entrance hall is the standard novice player setup, long and full of traps to weaken any attackers. However I've some blood that everyone refuses to clean up and they would rather just idle doing nothing, even if given no other jobs but cleaning. I made sure to pave the floor and put a roof over any tiles that were outside but still nobody will clean up.

I was debating putting a bath at the entrance and exit to the hall but I've heard many mixed reports about baths that can accumulate harmful things (weaponized moats etc) and I still haven't worked out how to specify what is and what isn't drinking water, making it even more risky. So for now I've avoided it.

That brings me to a few side questions, if you have the time :)

1, Are 3/7 Baths ever harmful under any circumstances in a non modded game, is there any substance which can make them dangerous, when either inside or outside?
2, If I make a moat outside and stop filling it at 3/7 will the rain fill it up to 7/7?
3, How do I set what is and isn't drinking water?
4, Will an outside moat ever freeze in a warm biome?
5, Should I just leave all this blood around and forget about trying to clean it, are there any ill effects to basic blood?

Thanks for any help!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: April 09, 2011, 03:11:46 pm »

Can water be pressurized, so that when released it shoots forward with considerable force to knock enemies away?

EDIT: also, is it possible to catch water creatures like giant olms and alligators? My moat needs trained attack animals.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:02:59 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: April 09, 2011, 05:42:09 pm »

Can animals locked in the same cage breed? I tried locking all of them in a 1x1 square, and now the walls are covered in cat blood.

EDIT: Nevermind, new plan.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:48:06 pm by Samuel »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: April 09, 2011, 06:15:07 pm »

Can water be pressurized, so that when released it shoots forward with considerable force to knock enemies away?

EDIT: also, is it possible to catch water creatures like giant olms and alligators? My moat needs trained attack animals.

As regards the first, indeed it is. That link also contains a link to a sample- if memory serves then my pertinent advice would be that presure is affected by only height, not width (although you do want some for volume purposes), and that water pressurizes to the level of the highest pump (or water source) which is important to understand in order to avoid a flood of FUN.

Trained water creatures can be tricky. The easiest method would be to breach the caverns and build a building destroyer trap- Cave Crocodiles, Giant Olms and Giant Toads are BUILDING_DESTROYER: 1, meaning that they seek out and destroy wooden hatches, wooden doors, supports, statues, windows and archery targets only. Build one of those by the waters edge and surround it with cage traps.

Taming is impossible without a Dungeon Master, so you either need to build your moat sufficiently deep to safely pit them while still wild, or you need to remove the [PET_EXOTIC] tag from their raw file. War training is impossible by default (although they are still quite deadly), but you can mod it in by adding the [TRAINABLE]  tag to their raw file.
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 1178