Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118793 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10515 on: April 07, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »

hehehehehehehehehe...

an elven caravan brought a giant desert scorpion...and this is only the second year of my fort, i know i need a dungeon master to tame it, but do i need one to train it into a war animal? if so, how do i mod the stuff to make it a war giant desert scorpion to give to my militia captain lol

The Dungeon Master is only needed to tame exotic animals. If an animal is war trainable, it only needs to be tame- anyone can train a tame animal. That said, GDS's are not war trainable by default. I'm not sure what you would have to mod to make a GDS war trainable.

With THAT said, GDS's are extremely deadly even without war training- you can put it in a pasture outside to fight off sieges, or pasture/chain it in your entranceway to make short work of theives, or for more fun you can pit it someplace to throw captured enemies into until you have a breeding pair. If any dwarves have a preference for GDS's, they'll adopt it if you make it available as a pet.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10516 on: April 07, 2011, 09:48:46 pm »

damn....

but yeah, i pasture'd it in my entranceway, there's a onexthree line of cage traps, then my scorpions pasture, so, after 3 people get captured, they get subjected to mister pinchy

and i really do hope the elves bring me another one...this one is female, so i really would like a male...breeding pair of giant desert scorpions? f*ck yeah!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10517 on: April 07, 2011, 10:21:23 pm »

an elven caravan brought a giant desert scorpion...and this is only the second year of my fort, i know i need a dungeon master to tame it, but do i need one to train it into a war animal?
GDS are not trainable by default, and the dungeon master doesn't work at all. You need to edit the creature's information in the raws to make it a regular pet and trainable.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10518 on: April 08, 2011, 03:20:24 pm »

What I have learned is that a well-equiped and more importantly well-trained military trumps all animals you can have.

GDS might be awesome (and supremely cool as well) in theory, but in practice they are a bit fragile when fighting standard skilled goblin soldiers. And get destroyed by ranged squads. And you really need to be in a savage desert to enjoy them.

Of course, when they sting a living creature, the creature is pretty much screwed, but first they should STING it rather than wrestle with them.

The other good thing is the [GRASP] token on their pincers. While weapon-wielding GDS (including crossbows) is possible and awesome, it is much more difficult to get them to pick up a good weapon rather than some random piece of goblin clothing or armor.

Also they don't naturally breed, you will have to mod the game to breed them. You need a [CHILD] tag in their entry to make them breed.

-Naryar, Competent Giant Desert Scorpion Caretaker

Mercenare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10519 on: April 08, 2011, 06:22:14 pm »

The last few embark sites i've had possessed no iron whatsoever, anyone have any idea why this is :(
EDIT: I know this sounds vague, but generally most sites i go to have atleast some iron.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:28:42 pm by Mercenare »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10520 on: April 08, 2011, 06:31:33 pm »

The last few embark sites i've had possessed no iron whatsoever, anyone have any idea why this is :(
EDIT: I know this sounds vague, but generally most sites i go to have atleast some iron.

MINERAL_SCARCITY defaults to 2500 now.  Most folks who want more metals are using values in the sub-1200 range (I go with 600-800).

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10521 on: April 08, 2011, 06:58:30 pm »

yeah, like i posted in another thread, the gds died fairly quickly, without even harming the lasher...was pissed off, the elves brought more animals i can train for war though, which i did, lol, one of em is a grizzly, that i havnt turned into a war animal, im waiting to get a breeding pair

Watwar5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10522 on: April 08, 2011, 10:23:49 pm »

When I forge gauntlets and boots, do I need to make two, or do they come in pairs?
This is like the crash course for all - if you can dodge a massive ball of plasma, you can dodge an arrow.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10523 on: April 08, 2011, 10:28:44 pm »

They come in pairs.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10524 on: April 08, 2011, 10:50:49 pm »

They come in pairs.

But FYI they show up on the stock screen as individuals, which can be puzzling ("why are only half of my 8 fighters all wearing gauntlets, there are 8 showing on the stock screen!").

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10525 on: April 09, 2011, 02:58:27 am »

They come in pairs.

But FYI they show up on the stock screen as individuals, which can be puzzling ("why are only half of my 8 fighters all wearing gauntlets, there are 8 showing on the stock screen!").

this causes hell with uniforms, as one gauntlet job could generate one exceptional gauntlet and one well-crafted gauntlet.  Dwarves like the same quality for stuff like greaves, boots, and gloves.  So for those items I make about twice as many so thats not an issue.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10526 on: April 09, 2011, 03:55:10 am »

I need to make some memorials, but I can't. Where is the option to do so? All I can place is slabs.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10527 on: April 09, 2011, 03:57:33 am »

I need to make some memorials, but I can't. Where is the option to do so? All I can place is slabs.

First make a slab, (mason shop)

Then engrave the slab (craftdwarf shop)

Then place the engraved slab

I think you have to expand the slab list to see which ones are engraved, been a while since I needed one.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10528 on: April 09, 2011, 03:58:51 am »

I have engraved the slabs, but I can't find the memorials in the menu.

EDIT: Just found it.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10529 on: April 09, 2011, 05:18:29 am »

alright, so i have a question...about pump stacks.

my current fort, my reservoire is almost empty, and it hasnt rained for the better part of a year, i have a brook on my map, but because of differences in level, the brook is at the bottom of my reservoire.

now, what i tried doing (i gave up cuz my dwarves were being stupid...) was something like this...

___v
V__A
A__V
V__A
A__V
V__A
A__water source.

now...two things, did i make it right? and, how do i power it using a windmill?

AND...would i need multiple windmills, the illustration isnt quite correct, i got tired of doing it, so there is probably 3 or 4 more things down before the water
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 1178