Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118706 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10485 on: April 06, 2011, 07:57:29 pm »

Okay, question this time. Do plants grow on rough clay floors? Do I need to water/muddy the clay first, or does it work like soil from the get-go?
Rough clay floors?

Clay is a soil layer. Plants will grow on a regular clay layer just fine; no need to irrigate.

I mean constructed floors made from clay.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: April 06, 2011, 08:04:25 pm »

Okay, question this time. Do plants grow on rough clay floors? Do I need to water/muddy the clay first, or does it work like soil from the get-go?
Rough clay floors?

Clay is a soil layer. Plants will grow on a regular clay layer just fine; no need to irrigate.

I mean constructed floors made from clay.

If memory serves me right, I'm thinking you're going to have to irrigate over any kind of constructed floor since the construction process destroys it as soil.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »

That's what I needed to know! Thanks.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: April 06, 2011, 08:36:16 pm »

Is there any way to see what biomes your embark has after the fact? I thought I had embarked in a "warm" area, but was surprised when half the map is covered in snow and ice. I'm a little curious as to what I ended up embarking on. Also can you embark on a warm and cold biome in the same embark? If I remember correctly my embark had 4 different biomes and I'm wondering if I could have just looked at the wrong one.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: April 06, 2011, 08:46:41 pm »

You could have had Warm and Temperate, the latter is probably always frozen at the turn of the year. I'm not sure if it's possible to get Warm and Cold next to each other, but you could possibly conceivably have Warm - Temperate - Cold in quick succession on the same embark. I don't know if the worldgen code allows for changes that rapid.

You can look at the minimap (press Tab a couple of times on the main play screen) and see what the colours are.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: April 06, 2011, 08:47:47 pm »

It's quite possible for a warm biome to get freezing temperatures for part of the year.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: April 06, 2011, 08:56:03 pm »

I've had hot biomes freeze in the winter before, I believe there is a bug somewhere in there.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: April 06, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »

Not sure if this helps determine the biomes, but here is the mini map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I flattened the image so you could see all surface areas.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: April 06, 2011, 10:04:24 pm »

It doesn't really say much about the temperature, but I have also had warm biomes freeze a couple of months out of the year. I've even had one warm biome on a map not freeze while another did. If you didn't cycle through all of them it is also possible that some are temperate. Or even a combination of the two with 4 biomes. It shouldn't be a huge problem though since nothing is really messed up by a couple months of snow.  :)
Memento Mori

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: April 06, 2011, 10:37:56 pm »

Yeah, two climates. Looks as though the odd one out is fully inside the site, unless the minimap is being weird with the edge tiles (I've had it show mountain on a site that had no mountain biome but was next to one). I had a site like that. Tiny cold desert in the middle of the otherwise grassland map, so I built a dark stone structure around its exact boundary to get it nicely dusted with snow.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: April 06, 2011, 10:58:36 pm »

Yeah, two climates. Looks as though the odd one out is fully inside the site, unless the minimap is being weird with the edge tiles (I've had it show mountain on a site that had no mountain biome but was next to one). I had a site like that. Tiny cold desert in the middle of the otherwise grassland map, so I built a dark stone structure around its exact boundary to get it nicely dusted with snow.

It's likely the edge being wierd- I think that it picks the edge tiles from a single biome for purposes of spawning creatures, and it shows up on the map as a single line. Most likely the odd biome out runs off the map to the south or west, although freak incidents like you describe there are entirely possible.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58:13 am »

Do dwarves wear clothes again?  haven't played DF for a few months and checked in today on the updates.  All my dwarves in my last fort were totally naked.  I'd like it if they wore clothes again.  Is that fixed?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: April 07, 2011, 01:24:24 am »

They do not put them on. However, you can work around this by assigning everyone a uniform made of civilian garments. Just leave them on inactive duty. Or, you know, don't.  ;)
Memento Mori

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: April 07, 2011, 02:54:15 am »

That's what I needed to know! Thanks.
Constructed floors never growth anything to my knowledge. It has to be natural ground. Let me know if this is changed with clay floors, but I doubt it.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: April 07, 2011, 02:57:49 am »

Do dwarves wear clothes again?  haven't played DF for a few months and checked in today on the updates.  All my dwarves in my last fort were totally naked.  I'd like it if they wore clothes again.  Is that fixed?
All my dwarves since 31.18 at least have had a full complement of clothing, until I modded it down for FPS purposes, use the military uniform trick to get them to change clothes etc.
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 1178