Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118750 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10470 on: April 06, 2011, 07:23:31 am »

Iron weapons will do ok, but if you have enough steel, you can make them after you get some good armour. Iron will do for armour in a pinch, but try to make at least helms and mail shirts (these protect more area than breastplates) out of steel, at least until you get adamantine. Those are the two most vital armor bits.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: April 06, 2011, 08:24:56 am »

I'd use the steel for edged weapons first, then helms.  Then other armor bits if you have enough of it.

Use silver (if you have that -- it's quite common, since it can come from tetrahedrite and from galena) for blunt weapons.

Even if you don't have any visible flux on the surface, you might still discover some marble deeper, down around the caverns.  It's worth taking a look.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lyam84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: April 06, 2011, 09:30:44 am »

hey, what EXACTLY is the 'train minimum' in the military screen? Is it just the minimum amount of squad members needed to start sparring?
And is there any way to encourage sparring over demos and drills? I heard sparring increases xp faster than other training....

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: April 06, 2011, 09:46:00 am »

hey, what EXACTLY is the 'train minimum' in the military screen? Is it just the minimum amount of squad members needed to start sparring?
And is there any way to encourage sparring over demos and drills? I heard sparring increases xp faster than other training....
yes, basically.
yes, basically. except for danger rooms.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: April 06, 2011, 12:14:31 pm »

I just caught a Bronze Colossus in a Cage trap ( A random hauler punched him and pushed him down a pretty high mountain, breaking his arm. )

Since they are next to invincible, I'd like to use it as a pincushion. How would I set up a safe shooting range? Dig a square of 2z deep channels with a bridge? I'm thinking he might jump down after dodging and stick there forever.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: April 06, 2011, 12:57:18 pm »

I just caught a Bronze Colossus in a Cage trap ( A random hauler punched him and pushed him down a pretty high mountain, breaking his arm. )

Since they are next to invincible, I'd like to use it as a pincushion. How would I set up a safe shooting range? Dig a square of 2z deep channels with a bridge? I'm thinking he might jump down after dodging and stick there forever.

I would just put him behind fortifications, something like this:
Code: [Select]
WWWWW
W,,F+
W,,F+
W,,F+
WWWWW

W wall
, containment area floor, prisoners hang around in here
F fortification
+ safe area floor, where marksdwarves will stand
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:16:56 pm by ahonek »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: April 06, 2011, 12:58:40 pm »

You can encourage sparring by having squads with at least one skilled dwarf, and using small squads. 2-4 works well.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: April 06, 2011, 02:04:57 pm »

Yeah, they must do, since dwarves in my fort have started making goblin bone stuff.
Those'll be from severed limbs, which do rot down to bone if they're big enough. Corpses or mutilated corpses are forever.

Use silver (if you have that -- it's quite common, since it can come from tetrahedrite and from galena) for blunt weapons.
And bolts. Silver is quite heavy, which gives projectiles a nice punch.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: April 06, 2011, 02:19:29 pm »

The copper hits pretty hard too. Really, any metal you can make bolts out of will work. Even wooden and bone ones are reasonably effective at a pinch, though they tend to result in a lot of wounded dragging themselves off the map rather than killed for me.
Memento Mori

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: April 06, 2011, 03:27:48 pm »

Did something stupid that cost me both my miners (volcano "The Fires of Perishment" lived up to its name), so I'm restarting Squirtedpaint AGAIN. Good thing TFoP makes the area easy to identify!

STRIKE THE EARTH!

Stupid me this wasn't DF Fortress Discussion. NEVER MIND

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: April 06, 2011, 06:26:49 pm »

Okay, question this time. Do plants grow on rough clay floors? Do I need to water/muddy the clay first, or does it work like soil from the get-go?

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: April 06, 2011, 06:52:11 pm »

So Adamantine is great for swords but sucks for warhammers because of how light it is, right? How do battleaxes fit in? Is an adamantine battleaxe a good weapon?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: April 06, 2011, 06:55:28 pm »

Okay, question this time. Do plants grow on rough clay floors? Do I need to water/muddy the clay first, or does it work like soil from the get-go?
Rough clay floors?

Clay is a soil layer. Plants will grow on a regular clay layer just fine; no need to irrigate.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: April 06, 2011, 07:02:13 pm »

So Adamantine is great for swords but sucks for warhammers because of how light it is, right? How do battleaxes fit in? Is an adamantine battleaxe a good weapon?

Very much so. Adamantine is very light, very strong, and very sharp. This makes it well suited for armor and slashing/piercing weapons, and comically ineffective for bludgeoning attacks.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: April 06, 2011, 07:26:39 pm »

Yeah, they must do, since dwarves in my fort have started making goblin bone stuff.
Those'll be from severed limbs, which do rot down to bone if they're big enough. Corpses or mutilated corpses are forever.

Oh! Adventurers can butcher corpses, ja? Can they butcher ANY corpse? That might be a way to get all these corpses apart...?
The silver is responsible for this How?
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 1178