Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118504 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10440 on: April 05, 2011, 06:56:06 am »

What settings do I set to allow a dining room stockpile to allow prepared meals only (in barrels or pots ok) ?

"u" is prepared meals from the food menu.

Unfortunately that still allows the storage of unprepared meals.  I don't think there's a way to do "prepared-only".

Sure there is.  Create a food stockpile.  By default, everything will be allowed.  Now use (q) (s) to go into the settings.  Scroll down to Food, and then hit (b) to block all foods.  Finally press (u) to allow prepared meals.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: April 05, 2011, 07:02:25 am »

Okay, ran across a weird one: how can I ensure a constructed floor gets deconstructed from the east?  The designate/suspend wall trick does not work in this case...

Build a wall or statue on the tile directly west of the grate.

Dwarves want to stand on the west side of a tile when they're doing a tile-altering job.  Their second preference, if they can't stand on the west side, is to stand on the east side.  (Damn it, I can't seem to find the wiki page that has this....)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: April 05, 2011, 07:15:02 am »

So, I'm at a magma pool, and my miner refuses to mine out the rough-hewn obsidian wall that stands between me and wonderful magma.

Do they need special picks to dig obsidian?

They don't need special picks, no. You do have to tell them twice to dig through warm stone, though - when they discover it's warm, they'll stop, un-designate it, and tell you about it, complete with bringing your camera to the area. If you designate it a second time they'll dig it with no problem.

Note that this generally results in losing the digging miner, though, and his pick. Magma moves faster than dwarves. If you want to access the magma without casualties, you can do so from the top, or I hear there's a trick with building a magma-safe (?) door where the miner is going to stand to mine into the magma, which will... usually... slam shut in time to block the magma so that the dwarf can leave safely. You can then hook the door up to a lever to open it from a distance. I haven't tried that particular trick, though, so I can't vouch for it.

I could dig all around it, but I never got the "tile is warm" warning at all in 31.25 when trying to dig the Obsidian side of a pool.  Makes me wonder if the sides of "pools" / "pipes" are immune to digging. 

The pool was open at the top, but I wasn't up to building a DWR to power a magma pump to fill the tunnels under my workshops.  Plus I had zero metal armor at all in that embark (no easy source of wood), so it was magma or nothing.

That's odd, then.

I could certainly see you not getting the warning, since the magma on the other side is already revealed and the dwarves expect the stone to be warm. But not being able to mine it at all? That's pretty weird, and possibly a bug.

What happens when you try to designate the square to be dug out? Does the designation mark go on the square? Does it just sit there forever without a dwarf coming by to dig it out? (Are your miners busy elsewhere?) Do you get a message about the job being cancelled, and then the designation goes away? If so, what does the message say?

Also, if you just want to move the magma down, you don't need a pump stack for that - can't use a pump stack for it, in fact. Dig a path for the magma to flow where you want it to, put a couple floodgates in so you can turn off the flow when you have enough magma where you want it, and let gravity do the work.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:20:05 am by AdeleneDawner »
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10443 on: April 05, 2011, 07:17:32 am »

Do ghosts stick around for reclaims? And can you memorialize them in a reclaim?
iirc they do stick around, but you can't memorialize them. (this may have been fixed in a version after .19)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: April 05, 2011, 09:43:20 am »

Do caged creatures take falling damage if the occupied cage is dropped 20 levels?.. or are caged creatures immune to any damage that does not destroy the cage?

I'm trying to get rid of some super-annoying wild Badgers...  >:(

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:45:38 am by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10445 on: April 05, 2011, 09:44:55 am »

Cages are like pocket universes, they protect the creature inside from any amount of falling damage.  You can't drown a creature inside a cage by dropping the cage in water, either.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10446 on: April 05, 2011, 09:45:55 am »

Thanks.  My embark is at the top of a sheer-sided 20-level cliff... will the Badgers break free and go nuts if I try to "pit" them out of the cage and over the cliff?

EDIT: Failing that, I guess I can edit the Raws to make them [PET] and [TRAINABLE]... might as well put the annoying little buggers to work...
Never pet a burning dog.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: April 05, 2011, 11:12:27 am »

What happens when you try to designate the square to be dug out? Does the designation mark go on the square? Does it just sit there forever without a dwarf coming by to dig it out? (Are your miners busy elsewhere?) Do you get a message about the job being cancelled, and then the designation goes away? If so, what does the message say?

Also, if you just want to move the magma down, you don't need a pump stack for that - can't use a pump stack for it, in fact. Dig a path for the magma to flow where you want it to, put a couple floodgates in so you can turn off the flow when you have enough magma where you want it, and let gravity do the work.

No job cancellation.  The designation mark appeared on the tile, all 3 miners were idle.  And... *lightbulb* I bet it was a burrow.  I was having security issues at the time and may have created a burrow that didn't stretch far enough.

(My magma forges design is to dig a lot of 1xN tunnels that run under where the magma forges will go, then dig out the magma forge rooms above that, and storage rooms above the forges.  The last square I dig is diagonal into the magma.  Also a few pressure release type corridors with diagonals.  I design it so that magma will run under the north side of the 3x3 tile rooms and also on the east-side middle tile.  Clean up the stone from both levels.  Leave room for a door and walls connecting the forges to the magma tunnels so I can wall it off.  Designate a sacrificial miner to mine out the last tile and flood the lower tunnels.)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: April 05, 2011, 11:13:09 am »

What settings do I set to allow a dining room stockpile to allow prepared meals only (in barrels or pots ok) ?

"u" is prepared meals from the food menu.

Unfortunately that still allows the storage of unprepared meals.  I don't think there's a way to do "prepared-only".

Sure there is.  Create a food stockpile.  By default, everything will be allowed.  Now use (q) (s) to go into the settings.  Scroll down to Food, and then hit (b) to block all foods.  Finally press (u) to allow prepared meals.

Ahhhhh.... very nice.  So it works similar to creating a sand bag stockpile.

(Wonder if that's mentioned on the wiki.)

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10449 on: April 05, 2011, 11:32:08 am »

Okay, ran across a weird one: how can I ensure a constructed floor gets deconstructed from the east?  The designate/suspend wall trick does not work in this case...

Build a wall or statue on the tile directly west of the grate.

Dwarves want to stand on the west side of a tile when they're doing a tile-altering job.  Their second preference, if they can't stand on the west side, is to stand on the east side.  (Damn it, I can't seem to find the wiki page that has this....)

I'm trying to do this without building something impassable on that side (this is for a section of cavern that has to be collapsed and a wall would attach it to the ceiling).  I eventually worked around this by building another entry on the other side of the section, requiring more engineering, and deconstructed the new entry point.

As far as preferred direction, I think empirically people have noticed that dwarves prefer to build/deconstruct from the order of north/west/south/east preference or somesuch.  Likely a hardcoded check.  It's definitely not the same as constructions, though.  Instead of using the wall trick, I discovered a slightly different approach for constructions: if they start the construction on the wrong side, suspend it and they'll move away from it.  If I resume, they'll often restart from the side that they approach it, that usually being the correct one.  For deconstructions/digging, they'll consistently move to the wrong side.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10450 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:26 am »

QUESTION!

I know this might be a weird question... but i'd like to know if it gets warmer during summer and colder during winter... I mean... physically, in terms of actual numbers and not in that the game decides that in this region ice will now melt and stuff. I embarked on a scorching hot territory and wondered if it might maybe only be dangerous during summer.

AFAIK, there is temperature change that is modeled every season (so yes, Summer will be hottest) but it will only affect your dwarves once it becomes hot enough to melt them. I seem to recall somebody doing this by fudging with the temperature options in worldgen to create a world that was so hot the outside spontaneously combusted during summer.

I'm pretty sure in vanilla it doesn't really matter.

Cab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: April 05, 2011, 12:29:08 pm »

I can't get the SDL version to play in 80x25 like the legacy version. The most zoomed in view is still larger (at least in height). I've been messing around with the .ini-file but I can't get it right. How can I force DF into an 80x25 mode?

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: April 05, 2011, 12:31:24 pm »

If my Duchess suffers an Unfortunate Accident, does a new one get immediately appointed? Is my fortress status as part of the Mountainhomes get affected negatively?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10453 on: April 05, 2011, 01:26:43 pm »

You never get a replacement Baron/Duke/Count/etc.  If yours dies, that's it.  I don't think this affects your chances of getting a King however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: April 05, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »

What may be reason for dwarves refusing to move through bridge?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 1178