Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118399 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10410 on: April 04, 2011, 11:26:55 am »

2. How do I do that trick where I strip a caged goblin of all it's stuff?
2. "Mass-hide" (d>b>h I think) the cages and dump all the weapons and armor and such (that are hidden) through the stocks menu. Wait until they get it dumped, don't atomsmash.
Or, you could mass-claim then mass-dump the cage.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: April 04, 2011, 11:28:47 am »

2. "Mass-hide" (d>b>h I think) the cages and dump all the weapons and armor and such (that are hidden) through the stocks menu. Wait until they get it dumped, don't atomsmash.

Isn't it mass dump then mass claim? Mass dump marks everything for dumping, and mass claim only reclaims the cages.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: April 04, 2011, 11:32:13 am »

Isn't it mass dump then mass claim? Mass dump marks everything for dumping, and mass claim only reclaims the cages.
I'm pretty sure that the goblin equipment id forbidden by default, so you have to claim it. I've always claimed it beford dumping it, but I'm sure it works the other way as well.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10413 on: April 04, 2011, 12:04:24 pm »

I am confoozed now.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: April 04, 2011, 12:27:19 pm »

How do I view the type of layers directly below my embark point? I'm only given generic "clay, aquifer, deep metals, very deep soil'

There's no meaningful breakdown of the different layers, was that only present in earlier versions?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: April 04, 2011, 12:38:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the goblin equipment id forbidden by default, so you have to claim it. I've always claimed it beford dumping it, but I'm sure it works the other way as well.
Mass dump to issue the order to all of the equipment. Mass claim to remove the forbidden flag from gobbo equipment. Remove dump order on cages. Dwarves will strip the prisoners of everything they've got.

How do I view the type of layers directly below my embark point? I'm only given generic "clay, aquifer, deep metals, very deep soil'

There's no meaningful breakdown of the different layers, was that only present in earlier versions?
Only way I know of is to embark and run DF Prospector, or enter the area you're interested in as an adventurer to see what's there. I've no experience with adventure mode, though, so not sure how well that would work.

Benedict Hardy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: April 04, 2011, 12:42:19 pm »

Thanks. I guess it'll just have to be lots of exploratory mining, and working out what kind of layer I've got.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: April 04, 2011, 02:54:40 pm »

I'm confused about how the decorate with (cloth/wood/bone/etc) options work in the various workshops. Is there a rhyme or reason in how they pick what to decorate? Other than using burrows are there ways to control this so they don't waste your precious materials on making a gem-encrusted wood bin or something? I was always afraid to use this option because I didn't want to waste my materials on something worthless.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: April 04, 2011, 03:35:38 pm »

They pick the nearest objest that does not have the same type of decoration.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: April 04, 2011, 03:38:21 pm »

They pick the nearest objest that does not have the same type of decoration.

Can you make a stockpile to only accept undecorated items?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: April 04, 2011, 04:54:07 pm »

I've got a lovely new embark site, Squirtedpaint, that has a volcano and a salt aquifer. And sand, so I can start planning my mega greenhouse!

Someone want to give me a "total idiot's guide to breaching aquifer"? I've looked at the wiki, but it was confusing. I think I understand desalinization, sort of.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: April 04, 2011, 05:28:12 pm »

Channel out a big pit into the aquifer, then drop the ground above down onto it. You can now dig stairs down through the "safe" ground.
If the aquifer is multiple levels, you're goinf to have to make a sort of inverted pyramid.

Another option is pumping the water faster out than it comes in, then smoothing/building walls.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: April 04, 2011, 05:54:51 pm »

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: April 04, 2011, 06:08:45 pm »

Am I hallucinating, or did my soap maker just make a single bar of soap out of an entire barrel of lye (10) and a single tallow?  The barrel of lye came from trade, and was in the depot (and unusable via the workshop) until I dumped it closer to the soap workshop.  Then I un-forbade it, and queued up "Make soap from tallow" on repeat.  I got one bar of soap, I used one tallow (had 9, now have 8), and now I have an empty barrel and there is no lye anywhere according to the stocks screen.

The only thing I'm not absolutely sure of was the amount of lye in the barrel originally.  I'm almost positive it was full, but....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: April 04, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »

A gear assembly that's covered on all sides by walls and a floor on top as a roof still freezes in the winter. What's wrong with it?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 1178