Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118279 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10380 on: April 03, 2011, 01:41:18 pm »

"Shallow metal" means that there is one type of metal near the surface, and "deep metal" is the same for deep underground. What you want to look for is "shallow metals" and "deep metals" (note the plural).
If it doesn't say any of those, then there are no metals other than the blue stuff.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: April 03, 2011, 01:43:28 pm »

It says shallow metal and deep metals.

Advisable? There is also "clay," "little soil," and after both shallow and deep metal, flux. There is more flux in the map (13 of the 16 squares only have flux, apparently - they're mountain, the other 3 are temperate shrubland).
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: April 03, 2011, 02:09:43 pm »

Screw it, charging blindly into the unknown is what DF is all about. If I fuck up I can just make a new fort.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: April 03, 2011, 02:16:43 pm »

A little late, but even with that information it is pretty variable. Those three metals could be gold, iron and platinum or cinnibar, zinc and nickel.  It is very much luck of the draw.
Memento Mori

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: April 03, 2011, 02:17:13 pm »

It said metals, so I'm hoping it's more than just 3.

The least Toady could do is let us know what kind of rock layer it will be. I'd much rather know if I'm going to be settling in an igneous intrusive or metamorphic layer.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:18:59 pm by Double A »

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: April 03, 2011, 02:22:59 pm »

I have seen metals mean more than 2, but it isn't common. However, if you have deep metal(s) in two different biomes on the same embark, they are likely different. I used that trick to get myself flux, tetrahedrite, galena, magnetite and sphalerite on my map, which is a pretty good haul for this version.  With imported gold and tin in addition I can do a lot.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:26:55 pm by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: April 03, 2011, 02:26:34 pm »

Only one biome has metal, unfortunately. If metals are too scarce to be any decent I'll just go back to .18.

Oh, and what birds and other new animals are recommended? I have sheep, pigs, goats, chickens, ducks, guineas, peacocks, and turkeys in addition to the bigger animals that I never buy.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: April 03, 2011, 02:28:41 pm »

You can always DL a map with good ores or turn up the frequency. Sheep and goats are the best. They go through as tenth as much grass as a horse or cow and produce just as much milk. Sheep can be sheared into the bargain. I don't think it matters what sort of birds you have.
Memento Mori

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: April 03, 2011, 02:33:38 pm »

Alright, I'm just going to make a new map. I don't care about volcanoes so I'll just do a regular gen with minerals set to everywhere. If I get mineralscrewed I'll just spam cage traps.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: April 03, 2011, 04:37:46 pm »

The backspace (delete) key on OSX just makes a 'mountain' symbol appear rather than deleting anything. Is there a fix?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: April 03, 2011, 04:45:14 pm »

The only one I found was switching to Windows, to be honest.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: April 03, 2011, 05:03:12 pm »

The backspace (delete) key on OSX just makes a 'mountain' symbol appear rather than deleting anything. Is there a fix?
Try [shift]+[delete].
Might work, might not.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: April 03, 2011, 05:05:51 pm »

Shift+del doesn't work. There must be some way though, changing the keycode maybe...?

The only one I found was switching to Windows, to be honest.
I have a windows/linux partitioned computer. I want this one to work as well.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: April 03, 2011, 06:10:22 pm »

The wiki says bees are in every biome that isn't freezing. Apparently that doesn't extend to my fort.

Is there any way to artificially introduce bees? I really want to do beekeeping. I'd actually rather restart than not have bees.

Also, is the Dungeon Master fixed yet?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: April 03, 2011, 07:00:41 pm »

Are there any Advanced world gen settings I  can use to get:

a) Lots of large dry canyons?

b) Caverns that span lots of z-levels?
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 1178