Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118208 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10350 on: April 02, 2011, 02:27:34 pm »

What effect does the length of pre-embark history have on worlds? Civilizations are less developed early on, perhaps-- Or just lower amounts of legends?

Also, I noticed that the 'end' time is 1050 in advanced world gen parameters... I assume that's the max length of history, not Dwarven Armageddon year?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: April 02, 2011, 02:54:02 pm »

"End time"+1 is the year of your 1st embark on that world.

Length of history determines the spread, &/or extinction, of civilisations.

It also determines how many Megabeasts (or is it Forgotten Beasts, I forget) will have survived to potentially bedevil your Fortress when you build it.

In a default generation, if your embark occurs before 1051, then that means 80% of the Megabeasts are already dead.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: April 02, 2011, 03:01:36 pm »

80% dead BEFORE 1051? So do the MB's repopulate after that time?

I started at 250, fairly early on I guess. What does that entail?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: April 02, 2011, 03:04:31 pm »

No, 1050 is the hard cutoff. If you make a world where the number of megabeasts never drops to 20%, the world will stop at 1050 anyway.

What it means depends on the world, but in general, 250 years on a medium to small map is enough time for expansion, but not for stagnation or immortal races gaining an edge.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: April 02, 2011, 03:52:29 pm »

alright, so im getting ready to do my dodge trap line, will invaders try to dodge serrated discs, or just weapon traps?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: April 02, 2011, 04:02:45 pm »

alright, so im getting ready to do my dodge trap line, will invaders try to dodge serrated discs, or just weapon traps?

Any trap should work.  You can use wooden training swords.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: April 02, 2011, 05:24:36 pm »

Do FB's made out of gemstone ever, you know, die? I have one trapped by drawbridges in a room full of x10 repeating steel spikes and while he is down a few appendages he has survived. At this rate I'm going to have to cook up another batch of spikes and make a new FB killing entrance.  :P
Memento Mori

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: April 02, 2011, 05:35:59 pm »

Do FB's made out of gemstone ever, you know, die? I have one trapped by drawbridges in a room full of x10 repeating steel spikes and while he is down a few appendages he has survived. At this rate I'm going to have to cook up another batch of spikes and make a new FB killing entrance.  :P

I think that they technically can, but I've heard that for most practical purposes non-organic FBs are invincible. Since it presumably doesn't need to eat or anything, toss it in a pit along with whatever enemies you capture and use it as an immortal, titanic murder machine.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: April 02, 2011, 07:04:44 pm »

I prefer blunt weapons (wood spiked balls are fine), otherwise things like corkscrews or leftover blunt weapons.  No more then 2-3 weapons per trap (and a single weapon per trap is fine).  Very little will manage to dodge more then 6 in a row before falling off a 1-tile wide path.  With a 2-3 tile wide path, you'll need a much longer span (20-25 tiles) in order to be sure of the critter/mob falling off the path.

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: April 02, 2011, 09:31:20 pm »

I wanna generate a world with a low number of Z-Level, but even with the number of level between cavern level to the minimum I get like 140 z-level because of caverns with a LOT of z-level, anyone know how to get cavern more compact?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:16 pm »

Reducing the "Cavern Layer Openness Max" & "Cavern Layer Connectedness Max" values might do it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: April 02, 2011, 10:02:18 pm »

Embark on flat maps, and avoid mountains, volcanoes (sorry) and lakes/oceans. My maps average 35 levels deep total.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: April 03, 2011, 01:36:49 am »

How big is 1 in-game block? I'm sure there has to be some way to calculate it.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: April 03, 2011, 01:55:10 am »

alright i just kinda realised a problem!

so, my mayor, is also my militia captain...when he likely becomes a baron, will he...become useless? or will he do some vigilante justice if people break his rules?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: April 03, 2011, 01:59:31 am »

How big is 1 in-game block? I'm sure there has to be some way to calculate it.
~3x3x3 meters3
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 1178