Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118005 times)

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10275 on: March 31, 2011, 01:42:11 pm »

Leave the materials and quality sub sections turned on.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10276 on: March 31, 2011, 06:06:51 pm »

Thanks. Is it possible for a dwarf to demand a particular type of gem? I have a secretive mood that I seem to have everything for but who won't get anything.  :-\
Memento Mori

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10277 on: March 31, 2011, 06:17:15 pm »

Thanks. Is it possible for a dwarf to demand a particular type of gem? I have a secretive mood that I seem to have everything for but who won't get anything.  :-\
For gems, he may want them to be cut first. And do make sure he has all the other stuff he needs, as he will insist on getting his materials in order.

My question: What is generally considered a "full" suit of armor? Metal is not an issue, but cloth and leather are limited.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10278 on: March 31, 2011, 06:17:55 pm »

It's rare.  What exactly is he demanding, and what has he already gathered?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10279 on: March 31, 2011, 06:26:19 pm »

Nothing. He wants clear glass, wood, rough gems, bones, cloth and metal. I suspect it is so since he likes faint yellow diamond and it is a gem setter mood and he obviously needs the base item as he has gathered nothing. Of course there are none of my map and my civ has none.  Rather sucks since I could use a legendary gem setter and he is already a legendary smelter.  :-\
Memento Mori

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10280 on: March 31, 2011, 06:32:55 pm »

I've never known dwarves to insist on a specific type of gem, but if you have rough gems available to him, that you know he can reach and aren't forbidden or otherwise tasked, then that must be it.  You're sure he hasn't already gotten gems, looked at the contents of the workshop and verified there's nothing in it?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10281 on: March 31, 2011, 06:33:47 pm »

Glass counts as a gem for most purposes, so clear glass may be the base item.

You have some raw clear glass, right?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10282 on: March 31, 2011, 06:39:33 pm »

If he's asking for clear glass, he wants "raw clear glass", which counts as a rough gem.  You can make some if you have a bag of sand and 3 pieces of wood.  wood->ash(wood furnace), ash->potash(ashery), potash->pearlash(kiln,fuel), sand+pearlash->raw clear glass(glass furnace,fuel).  It's more likely that is what he's looking for than a specific gem.  I always buy raw glass off the caravan because it's easier, and making crystal glass is currently broken.

JMZ

EDIT: ninja'd
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10283 on: March 31, 2011, 06:43:47 pm »

I'm collecting gems for a project that may eventually involve glass windows, so yeah, I have lots of gems both rough and cut. And 100+ of every sort of glass cut and uncut except crystal. I am training up a gem setter. I also have a little imported crystal glass for just such a situation. And I did indeed check many times to make sure of the workshops contents.
Memento Mori

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10284 on: March 31, 2011, 06:45:58 pm »

Well then.

Looks like your only recourse is to surround the shop with cage traps.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10285 on: March 31, 2011, 06:46:48 pm »

Last idea:  he's not walled in the workshop, is he?  Jeweler's workshops have three impassible tiles on the right side, and it's not uncommon to accidentally wall the workshop off when constructing it.  I expect that's probably not it, since you seem to know what you're doing well enough to not make that mistake.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10286 on: March 31, 2011, 06:58:20 pm »

My question: What is generally considered a "full" suit of armor? Metal is not an issue, but cloth and leather are limited.

This article details a "completely full" set of armor, in the sense that it shows how you can get the most possible layers and protection. In dwarf mode, I prefer to assign one of each type (one hood instead of six, for example) in order to spread material out and preserve the aesthetic of the game. Try to make the non-metal components (like trousers) out of leather since it affords better protection than cloth.

The rest of that article can teach you a thing or two about armor, but as a general rule of thumb you want at least one metal outer layer to deflect slashes and piercing attacks and at least one leather under layer to help absorb the blunt force of enemy attacks, and you want maximum coverage above all. Having a thoroughly armored chest is not much help when the goblin slices off your foot and you bleed to death. And I can't emphasize the importance of shields enough- material doesn't matter, so at the very least make a no quality wooden shield for everyone right off the bat.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10287 on: March 31, 2011, 07:34:24 pm »

Last idea:  he's not walled in the workshop, is he?  Jeweler's workshops have three impassible tiles on the right side, and it's not uncommon to accidentally wall the workshop off when constructing it.  I expect that's probably not it, since you seem to know what you're doing well enough to not make that mistake.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, and no. I'd been using that workshop extensively for years so I am sure it was accessible. He already became the test case for my war giant jaguars a while ago.  :-\

Speaking of which, war animals do breed, right? I am 90% they do, but I never use war dogs and my paranoia is starting to ask if I should have gone ahead and made my breeding part war animals right away.  :P
Memento Mori

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10288 on: March 31, 2011, 07:54:00 pm »

Training an animal into a war animal doesn't change its ability to breed.

ETA:  Unless it's a egg-laying animal.  Apparently, egg-layers stop laying eggs after being trained into war animals.  Not a problem for dogs and giant jaguars.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10289 on: March 31, 2011, 08:01:47 pm »

Regarding honey, is anyone else facing this issue? I KNOW i have royal jelly and honey combs in my fort. Its stored in my finished goods section though as opposed to food.

To make things even more complex, my screw press doesn't recognise the fact that Ihave unused honeycombs.  Any ideas on what I should do next? I really could use some mead
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 1178