Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117877 times)

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10260 on: March 31, 2011, 02:12:54 am »

how long of a tunnel full of say, serrated blade traps, do i need to...exterminate the higher lvl mobs? im thinking, that for my next fort, i'll place something that doesnt eat at the end of right angled corridors, to attract invaders into the tunnel, of course behind a glass window so they cant actually attack...i just wanna know so that a god damn troll cant muscle its way through and smash the glass wall >.<

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: March 31, 2011, 04:50:07 am »

Dodgefall traps !

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: March 31, 2011, 06:46:04 am »

At the moment, when setting my Mason to build some thing out of stone, he likes to choose the farthest stone over the nearest. What's the solution to this? It makes building even a single item take much, much longer than it actually should.

First, tiem distance is based on actual distance, not travel distance, so an item 3 Z-levels up that requres the dwarf to travel 75 spaces to the stairs, up 3, 75 space back, down 3, and then 75 to the job site, is closer than the one 4-tiles to the left of the workshop. Use burrows and stockpiles/dumps to deal with this.

Second, the closer items may be forbidden, assigned to another job, or disabled for use in the Z-stone screen.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: March 31, 2011, 07:02:26 am »

Once the chickens lay eggs they'll sit on them until the dwarves come to take the eggs away or until the eggs hatch, whichever comes first. Since dwarves will go to collect the eggs as soon as they are laid it can be tricky catching the birds on the nestbox

If you forbid eggs from your food stockpiles, and disable cooking of eggs in the kitchen, then the dwarves will leave them alone.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: March 31, 2011, 07:04:39 am »

First, tiem distance is based on actual distance, not travel distance, so an item 3 Z-levels up that requres the dwarf to travel 75 spaces to the stairs, up 3, 75 space back, down 3, and then 75 to the job site, is closer than the one 4-tiles to the left of the workshop. Use burrows and stockpiles/dumps to deal with this.

Second, the closer items may be forbidden, assigned to another job, or disabled for use in the Z-stone screen.

Z-levels are ignored when calculating distance, too.  A stone that is directly above the center of the mason's workshop, but which happens to be 10 Z-levels away, is counted as distance 0.  So it's "closer" than the stone 2 tiles away just outside the door of the shop.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: March 31, 2011, 07:13:11 am »

Err, that's exactly what I said.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: March 31, 2011, 10:24:06 am »

You can't boil water.

Lies. Drop a magma man in a pool of water.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: March 31, 2011, 10:33:51 am »

You can't boil water.

or a fire man. or a flame FB.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or 1/7 magma right next to 1/7 water.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: March 31, 2011, 10:59:11 am »

You can't boil water.

or a fire man. or a flame FB.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or 1/7 magma right next to 1/7 water.
Used to be you could boil water by filling a bin with fuel, setting it on fire, & dropping it in the water (or vice versa).

I don't think the bin had to be made of cotton-candy.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10269 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:18 am »

True.  I should have said "You can't boil water by placing it near magma".  Flaming creatures or items will boil water they come in contact with.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: March 31, 2011, 11:13:13 am »

The siege is probably the reason (last month of autumn) - if there is a siege on your map, caravans for that month won't come (they can probably see the goblins from farther away, and wisely decided to go to another fort this year). They will sometimes spawn if you kill the siege quickly enough (before the 15th of the last month of autumn).
Ah, thanks.

lol. In other news, my elven trade just eclipsed my dwarven trade(for some reason, the humies trade value didn't jump.) For a donkey, groundhog, 4 barrels of alcohol and wood.....

Come on elves. Give me a female giant eagle. I love it and kiss it and .......

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: March 31, 2011, 11:30:27 am »

The siege is probably the reason (last month of autumn) - if there is a siege on your map, caravans for that month won't come (they can probably see the goblins from farther away, and wisely decided to go to another fort this year). They will sometimes spawn if you kill the siege quickly enough (before the 15th of the last month of autumn).
Ah, thanks.

lol. In other news, my elven trade just eclipsed my dwarven trade(for some reason, the humies trade value didn't jump.) For a donkey, groundhog, 4 barrels of alcohol and wood.....

Come on elves. Give me a female giant eagle. I love it and kiss it and .......

That's probably your problem right there, back when I last played (I'm just back from a hiatus around .16 due minecraft & others), you needed the Elves to be barely willing to trade with you if you wanted Exotic Animals, because they've got a low Value/Weight ratio.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: March 31, 2011, 12:49:43 pm »

Err, that's exactly what I said.
Not quite. By what you said, that stone directly above the mason's but ten levels away would be seen as 10 tiles away. By what greycat said, that stone is seen as 0 tiles away.

Rather annoyingly, the construction menu is able to discern the actual travel distance, so you can't do any testing with it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: March 31, 2011, 12:56:20 pm »

If that's what he's saying, I'm 100% certain that he's wrong.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: March 31, 2011, 01:37:26 pm »

Is there some secret to custom stockpiles? No matter how I do it, dwarves never put anything in my totem-only stockpiles.
Memento Mori
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 1178