Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118002 times)

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10245 on: March 30, 2011, 07:45:32 pm »

alright, so i have a question about hunters. so far, every single one of them, has died, if i make them part of the military, and make them wear metal armor, will the metal armor conflict with the fact that their off duty job is hunter?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10246 on: March 30, 2011, 07:54:41 pm »

Yes. Hunters, miners, and woodcutters all have invisible outfits that they "wear" to make sure they have a crossbow/pick/axe.
Military uniforms will not perform perfectly on these professions.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10247 on: March 30, 2011, 08:33:57 pm »

How do you boil water? I assume it has something to do with a water | wall | magma setup.

Also, does boiling water destroy any items that enemies drop or create steam/mist?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10248 on: March 30, 2011, 08:56:14 pm »

You can't boil water.  At best, you can mix water and magma, which makes obsidian and steam.  Steam doesn't do anything in the current version.  Obsidian kills anything in that square when it forms and may destroy some or all items.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10249 on: March 30, 2011, 09:08:05 pm »

How do you boil water? I assume it has something to do with a water | wall | magma setup.

Also, does boiling water destroy any items that enemies drop or create steam/mist?

You may be thinking of the fact that a magma heated floor will melt ice- it won't boil the resulting water.

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10250 on: March 30, 2011, 09:51:39 pm »

I'm having a problem with my traps and them being outside.  I can't pick up anything or get the dwarves to empty my cage traps being outdoors.  Is there a fix for it?  All I need is a roof?  The only way I can empty them is if I pen the goblins in the cages.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10251 on: March 30, 2011, 09:56:35 pm »

Is it.... normal for the dwarven caravan to not appear? I'm approximately 5 years into the game and there wasn't an autumn caravan. I'm quite sure the last caravan successfully left my shores. The only reason I could think of is that the human caravan left obscenely late in the game(although their trade didn't seem to has been reflected in my civilisation scene) and in the last month of autumn, a siege popped up. They definitely didn't get slaughtered though, as my unit list don't show any dead merchants.

Ditto to profit. Despite the last elven caravan leaving with OBSCENE amount of profit, sufficient that in one spring, from an anaemic 1/3 of human exports, it became twice of that, the current caravan pffering is dismal. No cloth, just a donkey and a groundhog and anaemic amount of beer......... Is profits now calculated by weight on top of dwarfbucks?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10252 on: March 30, 2011, 10:06:45 pm »

I'm having a problem with my traps and them being outside.  I can't pick up anything or get the dwarves to empty my cage traps being outdoors.  Is there a fix for it?  All I need is a roof?  The only way I can empty them is if I pen the goblins in the cages.
Try changing the
  • rderss, to gather [r]efuse from outside.

I don't think cages are markes as refuse, but it could help.

Is it.... normal for the dwarven caravan to not appear? I'm approximately 5 years into the game and there wasn't an autumn caravan. I'm quite sure the last caravan successfully left my shores. The only reason I could think of is that the human caravan left obscenely late in the game(although their trade didn't seem to has been reflected in my civilisation scene) and in the last month of autumn, a siege popped up. They definitely didn't get slaughtered though, as my unit list don't show any dead merchants.
Did you get migrants past the first two waves? If not, it is probable that dwarves are extinct in your world. Check the civ screen for leaders.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10253 on: March 30, 2011, 10:23:12 pm »

How often do chickens lay eggs? And will they leave the meeting area to do so? My chickens laid once when I put down my nest boxes, now they just stay away from them.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10254 on: March 30, 2011, 10:59:42 pm »

whats the rdess?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10255 on: March 30, 2011, 11:05:22 pm »

How often do chickens lay eggs? And will they leave the meeting area to do so? My chickens laid once when I put down my nest boxes, now they just stay away from them.

I think its something like every two seasons or something. Once the chickens lay eggs they'll sit on them until the dwarves come to take the eggs away or until the eggs hatch, whichever comes first. Since dwarves will go to collect the eggs as soon as they are laid it can be tricky catching the birds on the nestbox, but rest assured that if they aren't restrained somewhere else they'll seek out the nest box when the time comes. If you want to breed more chickens you need to forbid the eggs after they are laid and before they are removed from the nest box.

whats the rdess?

I believe he meant orders.
  • rders, [r]efuse,
  • utside refuse collection- on is I believe the keystrokes he was going for there.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10256 on: March 30, 2011, 11:09:44 pm »

Hm, water doesn't boil? Saddening... Does steam still fry stuff?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10257 on: March 30, 2011, 11:48:19 pm »

Did you get migrants past the first two waves? If not, it is probable that dwarves are extinct in your world. Check the civ screen for leaders.
I'm still receiving migrants in the springtime of 131. I just didn't get any dwarven caravan in 130..... Its a bit disturbing because I just embarked on my expasnion of dwarven military and I need the steel they provide. Hell, or any metal for that fact.
Not to mention this is the first time I'm attempting a capital push.

For that matter, my dwarven civilisation doesn't have a mountain home, although there are splinter groups surviving(2 or so).

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10258 on: March 31, 2011, 12:57:09 am »

I'm still receiving migrants in the springtime of 131. I just didn't get any dwarven caravan in 130..... Its a bit disturbing because I just embarked on my expasnion of dwarven military and I need the steel they provide. Hell, or any metal for that fact.
Not to mention this is the first time I'm attempting a capital push.

For that matter, my dwarven civilisation doesn't have a mountain home, although there are splinter groups surviving(2 or so).

The siege is probably the reason (last month of autumn) - if there is a siege on your map, caravans for that month won't come (they can probably see the goblins from farther away, and wisely decided to go to another fort this year). They will sometimes spawn if you kill the siege quickly enough (before the 15th of the last month of autumn).

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10259 on: March 31, 2011, 01:12:28 am »

At the moment, when setting my Mason to build some thing out of stone, he likes to choose the farthest stone over the nearest. What's the solution to this? It makes building even a single item take much, much longer than it actually should.
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 1178