Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117649 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10215 on: March 29, 2011, 09:13:34 pm »

I do, but my forts are usually food-based.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: March 29, 2011, 10:41:54 pm »

Set up more stills? Alcohol is more important than booze afterall

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: March 29, 2011, 11:14:04 pm »

that...didnt make sense dude.

and i cant exactly set up stills till i have a carpenters shop going, and i usually wait to make most things till i have their area's carved out of the mountain

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: March 29, 2011, 11:15:51 pm »

Actually, stone pots are quite capable of storing alchohol.
All we need now is a way to make stone beds, and we'll never need a carpenter again.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: March 29, 2011, 11:21:20 pm »

Actually, stone pots are quite capable of storing alchohol.
All we need now is a way to make stone beds, and we'll never need a carpenter again.
I'd prefer metal and cloth ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: March 30, 2011, 01:06:31 am »

Uh, you know, rapidly switching between tiles. Toady joked in the devlog a few updates back that he hoped it wouldn't give people seizures. At a high FPS it very well might.
Not sure if this got answered. I have the same headache problem (and yes seizures run in the family).  I don't have the config handy, but there is an option to diversify the grasses, I believe disabling that is what fixed it for me.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: March 30, 2011, 05:27:57 am »

What causes a farm plot to report that there are "No seeds available for this location?"  The farm plot is hasn't been exposed to sunlight, there are plenty of farmers. The seeds are about 10 steps away, unforbidden and accessible. Things are going to get desperate if I can't figure this out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: March 30, 2011, 05:37:45 am »

Do dwarves still get pissed when you trade away their masterwork crafted items? I know at one point they did, but, how big is the hit for it? How many can I get away with selling before he seriously gets pissed? I have two legendary stonecrafters, and they are cranking out at least 5 master pieces each every season. My fort is starting to fill up with the stuff.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: March 30, 2011, 05:41:06 am »

I'd say they don't mind anymore unless you destroy them. I've traded masterwork gold crafts for a while and my metalcrafter is still ecstatic without any odd thought about it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: March 30, 2011, 07:25:34 am »

What causes a farm plot to report that there are "No seeds available for this location?"  The farm plot is hasn't been exposed to sunlight, there are plenty of farmers. The seeds are about 10 steps away, unforbidden and accessible. Things are going to get desperate if I can't figure this out.

If it's a below-ground plot, it needs to be on soil or it needs to be muddy.  (Doing it on soil doesn't work until 0.31.19 -- before that, you need mud, period.)

If it's an above-ground plot, it needs to be in a biome that supports plant life other than grass.  In other words, not a Mountain.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: March 30, 2011, 07:54:58 am »

Hello, bit of a newby here. Is there a certain amount of time that passes before you meet any hostile creatures like goblins? I've had a few waves of migrants, so i'm about to start fortifying and make a military.

Im just starting too and this is what i've been doing on the 3 maps I started.  Cage traps work super effective.  I make a 4-5 cage deep field of them, maybe 10-15 cages total, at my fort entrance and it deals with the first two goblin raids without using my military.  I just leave the bridge door open and they rush in while my military keeps training.  My map has obsidian all over it so I'm able to change those cage traps to obsidian weapon traps without smelting a bunch of metal.  If only they had obsidian spike balls =(  And then the military is super trained through training spear danger rooms after the first gobbie wave.  A new military squad with 4 people was able to take out whatever stragglers the cage traps didn't take care of. 

On that note I still can't dispose of my goblin traps or loot the contents.  I've done the D+B and then D+B+D and nothing.  I've been building cages in a room hooked up to a lever and sending the goblins there to be slaughtered by my military but its time consuming.  The next thing I'm going to try is make a pit and dump them in there. 

Also, Another newbie question.  I've had a few people go berserk and start killing people, and I've had a cyclopse sent accidentally to my animal stockpile in a cage that got released and killed a handful of dwarves before I realized it even happened.  Is there a better warning system? or just always keep an eye out on the alerts screen?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: March 30, 2011, 08:26:04 am »

Also, Another newbie question.  I've had a few people go berserk and start killing people, and I've had a cyclopse sent accidentally to my animal stockpile in a cage that got released and killed a handful of dwarves before I realized it even happened.  Is there a better warning system? or just always keep an eye out on the alerts screen?

- don't let your dwarves get unhappy
- don't put an animal stockpile of "full" cages near a popular meeting spot

Until I have my "pitting" room setup, my stockpile for cages that are full is in a distant corner of the fortress.  But I'll disallow tame critters that are common like dogs, cats, mules, cows or anything else that I might buy from the trader.  Those I'll keep in a stockpile much closer to the trade depot, along with a small 1x3 or 2x2 stockpile that only accepts full cages that contain dwarves.

For getting rid of goblins, I prefer to build a stockpile that accepts all the non-dangerous critters, with pitting holes next to each stockpile square.  So it's a stockpile, with holes, with a pit zone overlaid and only covering the holes.  The very simple version of this is:

Code: [Select]
SSS
SpS
SSS

With a hatch cover over the pit (p) tile.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: March 30, 2011, 10:44:18 am »

On that note I still can't dispose of my goblin traps or loot the contents.  I've done the D+B and then D+B+D and nothing.

To loot, that should be (d) (b) (c) to mass-claim everything (it starts out forbidden), and then (d) (b) (d) to mass-dump everything.  But un-mark-for-dump the cage itself before you un-pause.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: March 30, 2011, 10:56:07 am »

Uh, you know, rapidly switching between tiles. Toady joked in the devlog a few updates back that he hoped it wouldn't give people seizures. At a high FPS it very well might.
Not sure if this got answered. I have the same headache problem (and yes seizures run in the family).  I don't have the config handy, but there is an option to diversify the grasses, I believe disabling that is what fixed it for me.

Well, putting this in your plant_grasses.txt in yourRAWS will work (just remove everything in it and than paste this), I don't know if it requires regen but i'm pretty sure it won't (just backup your save :P )
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:58 am »

As far as the warning system, there isn't much you can do other than keep an eye on the announcements and monitor potentially dangerous situations manually. Learning to identify potentially dangerous situations is part of the Fun of playing DF.

This is also why announcement spam is something more than an annoyance- every job cancellation could be a warning that a cyclops is rampaging somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 1178