Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117578 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10170 on: March 28, 2011, 03:47:01 pm »

How well armored are they? I had a dwarf fully clad in steel but novice in all skills take down a goblin, he was badly injured and wound up dying afterwards but it wasn't all bad.

Sparring is the best way to train, split your dwarves into squads of 2 with same weapons and they will gain lvls considerably faster. I see an increase of 2-4 skills per year when none of them have skills, but experienced soldiers paired with utter novices decreases the time it takes. I have them 10/10 and training all year round.

If you don't get any migrants with military experience, capture some goblins/weak animals and disarm them. Have one, and only one dwarf fight the caged prisoners. When he gets experienced (at least lvl 5 in weapon) have him train with another dwarf. When the dwarf he trains with gets to lvl 5 replace him with another novice and put him in his own squad with a novice.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10171 on: March 28, 2011, 03:48:59 pm »

How many are there in the squad? 2-4 less isn't that much if it's a ten-dwarf squad.
Are the military sleeping and eating close to the barracks? Drinking isn't a problem if they have waterskins. It really is so much quicker to give them those than to have them spend ages chugging a barrel.
Are the barracks small enough that dwarves are always within a tile or two of another dwarf?
When you look at the Units list, what's the most common military message you see?

There is a point at which they suddenly become better able to learn, but a year and a half is kind of a long time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10172 on: March 28, 2011, 07:44:41 pm »

Is there a 3D visualizer that works with OSX? I can emulate some Windows ones but most need DF running at the same time, and the emulator doesn't hook the two together.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10173 on: March 28, 2011, 08:11:58 pm »

Currently I have a binding to 'Go back to the main menu' set as space. That was an accident. And to delete a binding, I need to select it and push space. But whenever I do that, my menu hops back. How can I delete a binding then if the very binding sends me back?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10174 on: March 28, 2011, 08:21:12 pm »

You delete bindings with backspace.

Also, all keybindings are found in /data/init/interface.txt.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10175 on: March 28, 2011, 08:23:39 pm »

I have 75 pages of goblins trying to slash through my militia commanders *steel helmet*. Can I assume that if this goes on much longer, I'll be dealing with a siege of goblin swordmasters?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10176 on: March 28, 2011, 08:25:25 pm »

Possibly. It would take forever, and you could just send some deadly force their way to interrupt them.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #10177 on: March 28, 2011, 08:28:07 pm »

He was my deadly force :/ To clarify, he was the only force. Everyone else was killed by toads.

Unless by deadly force you mean magma.

He now has 150 pages of this and is happy O.o

Checking the units list, the other four killed a toad before dying. He killed 9 goblins and is now being beat upon by 5 swordsgobbos, there's still 25 siege members left not counting their mounts.

Quick question, will siege's ever get bored and leave? I wouldn't mind them so much if they weren't eating up my FPS with their funny pathing. If not, would a forgotten beast fight them?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:34:50 pm by tolkafox »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10178 on: March 28, 2011, 09:25:52 pm »

My butcher's shop is cluttered horribly, what stockpile does he need to put bones and such in? Just the meat gets put in food stockpiles.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10179 on: March 28, 2011, 09:31:12 pm »

Bones and such go in a Refuse stockpile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10180 on: March 28, 2011, 09:32:13 pm »

Or dump. ;) If I make changes to a uniform people are already using, will they upgrade eventually?
Memento Mori

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10181 on: March 28, 2011, 09:36:33 pm »

My butcher's shop is cluttered horribly, what stockpile does he need to put bones and such in? Just the meat gets put in food stockpiles.

You can also use the custom stockpiles to segregate useful byproducts such as bones, skulls, shells, and hooves from the useless byproducts like cartilage and nervous tissue. I tend to have a stockpile for thread/cloth that includes hair, a stockpile for the bony products, and a catchall refuse stockpile for vermin remains and other useless, rotting things.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10182 on: March 28, 2011, 10:19:21 pm »

How do clay collection zones work? just built my first magma kiln.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10183 on: March 28, 2011, 10:22:46 pm »

How do clay collection zones work? just built my first magma kiln.

Exactly like sand collection. Define it with "i", set a task at the kiln. It doesn't specify a labor (I think?) so any dwarf will do it.

Is there anyway to remove a ramp from a higher level area? As in, you're standing on the higher level, and you want to remove the ramp that leads up to your higher level.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10184 on: March 28, 2011, 10:27:55 pm »

Designate it for ramp removal, use dfderamp.

Pages: 1 ... 677 678 [679] 680 681 ... 1178