Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117407 times)

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10110 on: March 26, 2011, 10:30:51 pm »

Check his preferances, he may want a specific kind of gem/leather, or he could want more glass.

10z is usually fatal, but not guaranteed. Go for 20 if you want goblinsplosions every time.

As long as they're crippled enough to not fight back. I might send some novice militia down there to clean up.

I checked the guy's preferences and it says he likes Borax Iron Heliodor Horse Hoof and white-browed gibbon bone. None of them are related to what he wants.

Looks like I have to wall another guy up.

Random question while I'm at it. My fortress is around 2 years old and animals stopped spawning. Is this normal? I really love sending out novice marksdwarves out to train on local wildlife. This place had a lot of interesting animals too.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: March 26, 2011, 10:35:45 pm »

I checked the guy's preferences and it says he likes Borax Iron Heliodor Horse Hoof and white-browed gibbon bone. None of them are related to what he wants.

Heliodor a type of gem, so he may want one or more cut ones.
Pray for a swift caravan selling them.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: March 26, 2011, 10:37:06 pm »

Heliodor a type of gem, so he may want one or more cut ones.
Pray for a swift caravan selling them.

Humans just left. Guy got walled. Coffins are being made.

Man this isn't starting very well.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10113 on: March 26, 2011, 10:38:06 pm »

How much glass did he take?  He might want up to three pieces of raw green glass.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: March 26, 2011, 10:47:55 pm »

How much glass did he take?  He might want up to three pieces of raw green glass.

It's a possibility but I have no sand to work with :(

fenrirfenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: March 27, 2011, 12:25:10 am »

How do I really limit the population cap? I keep setting it to 30 but keep getting upwards of 60 dwarves in less than a few years.

Also, what do you do with all those dorfs? I put down about 3 carpenters and 3 mason workshops, then a couple of the others and I can't keep them all active. I have more food than I could ever eat, make thousands of dorfbucks of treasure, deforest the map, and build all the stone furniture I could ever want with under 25 dorfs. A few of those are just peasants I keep around for item moving and stuff.

I would probably use more dwarves if I ever established a metalworks, but can never find the magma on my map.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10116 on: March 27, 2011, 12:27:40 am »

I've built a lovely barracks for my military with with statues and 18 beds.  The dwarves don't seem to realize the beds are there and apparently just sleep on a random tile in the barracks, often not in a bed...  Is this a bug?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10117 on: March 27, 2011, 12:50:50 am »

How do I really limit the population cap? I keep setting it to 30 but keep getting upwards of 60 dwarves in less than a few years.

The leading theory is that dwarves will continue to come in waves as long as the population in under the limit. So, if the limit is 30 and you have 29, that doesn't affect the numbers of the next wave at all.
It has also been speculated that it only checks the cap once a year, and so sends migrants for a whole year if the cap has not been hit at the start of the year.

Also, what do you do with all those dorfs? I put down about 3 carpenters and 3 mason workshops, then a couple of the others and I can't keep them all active. I have more food than I could ever eat, make thousands of dorfbucks of treasure, deforest the map, and build all the stone furniture I could ever want with under 25 dorfs. A few of those are just peasants I keep around for item moving and stuff.
I usually have large numbers of idlers, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I would probably use more dwarves if I ever established a metalworks, but can never find the magma on my map.
I've never found magma. I'm just really terrible, I guess.

I've built a lovely barracks for my military with with statues and 18 beds.  The dwarves don't seem to realize the beds are there and apparently just sleep on a random tile in the barracks, often not in a bed...  Is this a bug?
Yeah, sleeping in a barracks is a bit weird. I recommend just giving each military dwarf a bedroom.

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: March 27, 2011, 04:40:47 am »

You can start metalworks as long as you find some bituminous coal / lignite veins. I found such huge veins of coal that I pretty much have an infinite supply of coke. Just intersperse your normal smelting orders with "Make coke from ..." orders and set them all to repeat.

I got population of 110 and usually have less than 18 idlers. This could be partly from the long distances between ore and workshops - requiring long hauling times. Then I also have 22 military dwarfs. Finding an underground cavern cut down idlers a lot because there was so much to do, like collecting webs, fighting troglodytes, mining gems, etc.

If you dig down far enough you will hit magma.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: March 27, 2011, 09:29:06 am »

Is there any way to turn tile animation (like for plants like bamboo) off? It's going so fast it's giving me a headache   :o

This is supposed to be fixed in .24 which just came out today.  There's a workaround in the bug report for older versions.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: March 27, 2011, 09:31:14 am »

If you dig down far enough you will hit magma.

Or you'll hit semi-molten rock.  The magma sea does not always cover every tile of the bottom of your world, so you might have to dig laterally about 10 levels above the SMR, then try going down in another spot.  With enough persistence, you will find the warm rock (which is entirely different from SMR) indicating magma is near.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Maristo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: March 27, 2011, 10:46:54 am »

Question from a dwarf newbie: I'm on my first playthrough and I've managed to avoid dying this far, but I did accidentally mine into a cave on a lower level. Now, I've got a cave moss/floor fungi infestation running through parts of my base some 30 floors above.

Is this hazardous? Even if it's not, it looks ridiculous. How do I remove it and prevent the same from happening in the future?

Thanks,
Maristo

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: March 27, 2011, 10:51:46 am »

No hazard whatsoever, and you can remove the cave plants by building floors (b-C-f) over them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Maristo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: March 27, 2011, 10:53:16 am »

Cool. Thanks for the quick response. :)

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: March 27, 2011, 11:35:04 am »

I've been running a single fort since 31.19, updating as I went, but since 31.22 I've had to disable temperature because something with either freezing or thawing of liquids is causing the game to crash consistently - originally it was with the change to mid-winter, and now it's about ten seconds after the game starts with temp enabled. Does anyone know what this might be, or if there's some kind of workaround? I'm not averse to cheating like a bastard, but using DFliquids to remove all my surface water/magma didn't seem to do anything.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 1178