Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117335 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10080 on: March 26, 2011, 10:10:40 am »

Is there any way to turn tile animation (like for plants like bamboo) off? It's going so fast it's giving me a headache   :o

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10081 on: March 26, 2011, 10:11:16 am »

Is there any way to turn tile animation (like for plants like bamboo) off? It's going so fast it's giving me a headache   :o
err what kind of animation?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10082 on: March 26, 2011, 10:15:50 am »

Uh, you know, rapidly switching between tiles. Toady joked in the devlog a few updates back that he hoped it wouldn't give people seizures. At a high FPS it very well might.

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10083 on: March 26, 2011, 11:35:31 am »

Still new to DF.  Been playing around with trying to get more miners digging in a save I had today after updating to .22/.23.  Try as I may I can't get more than two digging at a time.  Or 3.  And usually there are two diggers only working at a time with the other ones with mining skill showing no job.

Is this a bug or is there a cap per population thats able to work a specific job?  This is the first time playing with adding more miners.  I always delt with 2 miners or 3 in .21 and didn't have a problem getting them all to work at the same time. 

I also used dwarf therapist to change them the first time.  Could it be a memory allocation bug that screwed my save somehow? 

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10084 on: March 26, 2011, 11:41:50 am »

You need one pick per miner, it defaults to two picks in the default embark profile. Trade for or craft some.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10085 on: March 26, 2011, 11:44:24 am »

HaDeZs: Miners needs picks to dig. What's likely is you didn't bring more than two or three picks with you on embark. You can always smelt some a good bit later but if you're going to have more than a couple of miners you'll need more picks.

Though it should be noted in the early game, miners work so fast and efficiently that there is hardly a need for more than say, one or two (three is pushing it). Better to have spare dorfs with skill points in more obscure jobs if you've got all the bases covered on embark, but hey whatever floats your boat.

HaDeZs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10086 on: March 26, 2011, 11:45:06 am »

that was it.  Went to another save with a bunch of picks and changed it with Dtherapist and they all mined.  Thanks guys. 

And I know but I just started another world and wanted to mass clear alot of ground to get started with a few things.  Having 2-3 extra miners switched for that helps a ton.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10087 on: March 26, 2011, 01:06:49 pm »

Ran into a bit of a problem recently.  My marksdwarves refuse to pick up any metal bolts for combat.  Every now and then they'll train with the wooden bolts as per their instructions in the ammunition screen in the military section, but when I put them on station or patrol, they won't pick up any metal bolts to use.  What am I missing?

They have quivers, they have crossbows, they've been told explicitly what bolt type to use, they've been told to use a crossbow.  Not sure what I'm missing but when I 'v' them and examine their inventories, the quivers are empty. 

And I have over 200 iron bolts ready to be shot, but alas...

Are the iron bolts set for combat? Did you set the associated bolt type to iron/metal? Can you get them to load up by just telling them to use any old bolt?

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10088 on: March 26, 2011, 04:04:18 pm »

Ran into a bit of a problem recently.  My marksdwarves refuse to pick up any metal bolts for combat.  Every now and then they'll train with the wooden bolts as per their instructions in the ammunition screen in the military section, but when I put them on station or patrol, they won't pick up any metal bolts to use.  What am I missing?

They have quivers, they have crossbows, they've been told explicitly what bolt type to use, they've been told to use a crossbow.  Not sure what I'm missing but when I 'v' them and examine their inventories, the quivers are empty. 

And I have over 200 iron bolts ready to be shot, but alas...

Are the iron bolts set for combat? Did you set the associated bolt type to iron/metal? Can you get them to load up by just telling them to use any old bolt?

It is possible your iron bolts are reserved for hunters (even if you don't have any). Go to the military->(f) ammunition screen, then delete the "bolts" entry assigned to hunters to free up the assignment - add bone or wooden bolts back in if you do have hunters.

You can also use the ammunition screen to see if bolts are actually being assigned to your squads properly (will have a mark on the rightmost column if assigned).

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10089 on: March 26, 2011, 04:56:24 pm »

All of my stockpiles except the one with my mugs have bins. And this one needs it the most. Why is it so? I have tons of spare bins.

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10090 on: March 26, 2011, 05:08:22 pm »

I made a burrow in my hospital and put all my medical dwarfs in there. Now, at last, they're suturing up the one guy who's been there for a while.

When the dwarf gets healed I want to be able to send all the doctors back to do their own thing. Looking at the burrow screen, I don't see a way to disable the burrow (retain the set of dwarfs assigned to it, but let them out of the burrow). Is there a way to do that?

Edit: I tried removing all tiles from the burrow with the dwarfs still assigned in it and it crashed DF. I think I lost a game years' worth of progress  :'(. Maybe it's for the best seeing as it's half past midnight  ::)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:26:54 pm by Katan Alebread »

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10091 on: March 26, 2011, 05:14:33 pm »

All of my stockpiles except the one with my mugs have bins. And this one needs it the most. Why is it so? I have tons of spare bins.

Press [q] on your stockpile with mugs. Then [V] to max the number of allowed bins. Hopefully that works.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10092 on: March 26, 2011, 05:35:08 pm »

Press [q] on your stockpile with mugs. Then [V] to max the number of allowed bins. Hopefully that works.
Or you could [q] over the other stockpiles and lower their bins.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10093 on: March 26, 2011, 06:10:09 pm »

Do trees act as supports in regards to caveins?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10094 on: March 26, 2011, 06:17:35 pm »

Do trees act as supports in regards to caveins?
Almost certainly not.
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1178