Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117109 times)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #10020 on: March 25, 2011, 06:05:55 am »

I don't know if this is a little question or a bug or mistake or what:

I just used the alert/burrow restriction feature for the first time to get everyone underground during a siege and it worked great... only the slow died. Goblins were beat back, siege ended, the entrance is all clear. So, I went back in and set the civilian alert level back to "Inactive" (which, I checked, has no burrow associations at all). But none of the dwarves are leaving the burrow to get back to work. If I attempt to construct something outside the burrow area that was associated with the previous alert level, I get a message saying "No access to door" or similar. So it seems like the restriction is still active, even though the civilian alert level is inactive.

Can anyone think of anything else I might be doing wrong? I have not set up any other burrow restrictions or assignments to any civilian dwarves. The alert has been inactive for almost a game month now and no one is budging from the burrow. Does it just take longer? Or is it a bug?

Thanks!

You probably already checked it, but... Maybe you locked some doors / raised a drawbridge during the alert, and forgot to unlock it afterwards?

ishmog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: March 25, 2011, 08:37:05 am »

I just used the alert/burrow restriction feature for the first time to get everyone underground during a siege and it worked great... only the slow died. Goblins were beat back, siege ended, the entrance is all clear. So, I went back in and set the civilian alert level back to "Inactive" (which, I checked, has no burrow associations at all). But none of the dwarves are leaving the burrow to get back to work.

You probably already checked it, but... Maybe you locked some doors / raised a drawbridge during the alert, and forgot to unlock it afterwards?

You know what... that was it exactly. THANK YOU! It was the first time I had tried the burrow thing and hadn't quite trusted it so I locked the main gate behind them, and forgot to unlock it when I removed the alert. I'm going to have to make a checklist...

Thanks!

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:19 am »

Edit: Nevermind, after 2 hours looking for the answer I found it within 30 seconds of making this post! >.<
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:30:30 am by Darkweave »

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: March 25, 2011, 11:47:23 am »

Is there some way to remove broken arrows?
Indoors, building and removing a construction, or a dwarf cleaning the tile, should get rid of them.
Outdoors, rain should get rid of them.
Rain doesn't seem to do a thing about it. Is there a way to mod them out? Dfclean doesn't clean up this.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: March 25, 2011, 11:58:46 am »

Is there some way to remove broken arrows?
Indoors, building and removing a construction, or a dwarf cleaning the tile, should get rid of them.
Outdoors, rain should get rid of them.
Rain doesn't seem to do a thing about it. Is there a way to mod them out? Dfclean doesn't clean up this.
Build a floor and then remove it
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: March 25, 2011, 02:54:49 pm »

If a moody dwarf is cut off from whatever item he first picks, will he go insane or choose another? I would like to process my adamantine without locking it in since checking on my strand extractor to make sure he isn't starving is a pain and I don't want to loose the decent one I got in a migration wave. However, I don't want it getting wasted in useless craft moods when a child gets possessed.
Memento Mori

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: March 25, 2011, 02:58:17 pm »

I got attacked by a forgotten beast. First one I'd ever faced and it was exciting. Luckily my fortress survived, only losing 1 dwarf due to critical injuries. Now the problem I have is a stack of 68 Nokast the Eels of Pus forgotten beast fat. One of my novice cooks took it to the kitchen to render the fat and has been in there for ages. At first I thought it was amusing but now he's gotten thirsty and is still busy! Is he going to die on the job? What should I do in this situation? I'm not sure how much longer he can survive.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: March 25, 2011, 03:01:26 pm »

The dwarf will break off from the job eventually. If you're really that worried, create a drink-only stockpile next to the kitchen and have it draw from the main booze stockpile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: March 25, 2011, 03:06:32 pm »

If a moody dwarf is cut off from whatever item he first picks, will he go insane or choose another? I would like to process my adamantine without locking it in since checking on my strand extractor to make sure he isn't starving is a pain and I don't want to loose the decent one I got in a migration wave. However, I don't want it getting wasted in useless craft moods when a child gets possessed.

He'll choose another. You can actually forbid an item after he's claimed it and he'll go get another.

Here's a question: I was playing around with the military equipment screen, and I accidentally set my uniform to replace clothing. Naturally, my military threw off everything they had one except for some boots and leggings I'd produced. Changing it back did not make them clothe themselves. Am I stuck with naked dwarves until I manage to produce enough armor to replace what they lost?

Katan Alebread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: March 25, 2011, 03:07:28 pm »

The dwarf will break off from the job eventually. If you're really that worried, create a drink-only stockpile next to the kitchen and have it draw from the main booze stockpile.
Thanks! I'll do that to help speed up his work, so he doesn't have to wander off too far for some booze :)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: March 25, 2011, 03:08:02 pm »

How do I find the perfect embark? I'm playing .22 and looking for a good area for a fort but I never seem to find it. I'm trying to either find like a plateau or mesa where I can just remove the ramps up to the top or some steep cliffs I can dig right in to. The only places with the kind of elevation I want seems to be unreachable.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: March 25, 2011, 03:11:30 pm »

He'll choose another. You can actually forbid an item after he's claimed it and he'll go get another.

Here's a question: I was playing around with the military equipment screen, and I accidentally set my uniform to replace clothing. Naturally, my military threw off everything they had one except for some boots and leggings I'd produced. Changing it back did not make them clothe themselves. Am I stuck with naked dwarves until I manage to produce enough armor to replace what they lost?
Set your uniform to revert to civilian clothes when civilian. That helps.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: March 25, 2011, 03:13:29 pm »

How do I find the perfect embark? I'm playing .22 and looking for a good area for a fort but I never seem to find it. I'm trying to either find like a plateau or mesa where I can just remove the ramps up to the top or some steep cliffs I can dig right in to. The only places with the kind of elevation I want seems to be unreachable.

Press Tab three/four times on the world map to see an elevation/cliff indicator for the embark site.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: March 25, 2011, 03:17:56 pm »

Dwarves will never put on clothing. They will claim and store new clothing when the old rots off, but never ware it.
If you have extra clothes laying around, you can assign them to the dwarves to force them into wearing something.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10034 on: March 25, 2011, 03:25:16 pm »

I had a couple of tame cave crocodiles stolen off the goblins a while ago. I tamed them and assigned them to a leash to breed them along my lions.

Except they somehow got angry and began tearing people apart for no reason. Crocodiles REALLY like dismemberment and it's a mess to clean up. And there's no time to clean when you have a supersiege going on at the same time.
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 1178