Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116631 times)

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9900 on: March 22, 2011, 07:06:48 am »

There's clothes strewn all over my warehouse. I can't dump them or sell them, and closer inspection reveals they all belong to people, mostly to children. Now I have lots of free rooms so everyone should have his own coffer and cabinet. How can I make them stash their stuff away?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: March 22, 2011, 07:11:17 am »

How do i know which weapons are already assigned in equipment screen?

(m) (e) (P)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: March 22, 2011, 09:22:00 am »

Thanks greycat!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: March 22, 2011, 10:10:56 am »

There's clothes strewn all over my warehouse. I can't dump them or sell them, and closer inspection reveals they all belong to people, mostly to children. Now I have lots of free rooms so everyone should have his own coffer and cabinet. How can I make them stash their stuff away?
idle time, and also [ o ] orders>gather stuff outside
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: March 22, 2011, 10:27:20 am »

No, nothing can get through a locked hatchcover from below. Except thieves. Ayup.

I just got into a fight with a human axeman. He died of old age midfight.
I ask a human for permission to stay in his house (he says yes) but when I wake up I'm sleeping outside. Why does this happen sometimes?
Try the adventure mode little questions thread - it's in the adventure mode questions forum
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

CorporalJigsore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: March 22, 2011, 01:48:12 pm »

I seem to have a problem with getting my militia commander to train with the rest of his squad. He is supposed to be the leader of my only 5-man (including himself) squad. I set them to train with 4 minimum, but they they only train with 3-4 dwarves while my commander behaves like a civilian. What's the problem here?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9906 on: March 22, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »

Try the adventure mode little questions thread - it's in the adventure mode questions forum

I was not aware such a thing existed O.o

You don't have to mess with the squad minimum, and technically don't have to mess with schedules at all unless you want them to patrol an area or want them doing civilian work.
From my understanding, setting the minimum to 4 in a 5 man group is essentially saying that 4 of them have to train while the other will choose his civilian duties/eating/drinking/sleeping over military training. They will still eat/sleep/drink even if the minimum is 5 in a 5 man group, they just won't do civilian jobs.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: March 22, 2011, 02:00:30 pm »

As per the Wiki value chart, do you get more trade moneys out of your metal bars if you make them into statues (highest value non-weapon grade metal item I found) as opposed to the usual metal crafts or instruments?

The reason I'm asking is that good crafters can apparently make multiple crafts out of a single bar.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:10:44 pm by xordae »

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: March 22, 2011, 04:10:07 pm »

dunno, but i melt any copper i get from goblinite and i have a dude make it into statues, it wasnt even that great a quality and they were still 300 dwarfbucks, and you could even melt down the statues to get the bars back, and remake them to train your metalcrafter

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: March 22, 2011, 04:44:15 pm »

What's the max height something can fall from and not die? I want to have a bridge that I can drop out from under besieging goblins and splatter them on the rocks below.

Two horses I have are starving to death in a grassy pasture. What do they eat?

Is there anything that lets items through but not water? This is to be placed at the bottom  of a drowning pit.

For defensive purposes, what type of bridge is better in terms of pulling it out from under enemies? It seems a retracting rather than raising bridge, since that one doesn't fling them to potential safety.

Also, the pit's got aquifers in its second layer, it's 10x8. What's the best way for dealing with the aquifers in this case?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:06:47 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9910 on: March 22, 2011, 05:06:49 pm »

What's the max height something can fall from and not die? I want to have a bridge that I can drop out from under besieging goblins and splatter them on the rocks below.

A fall of 12 Z-levels should be fatal to anything.  A fall of 8 Z-levels will kill almost anything, but may leave the occasional mangled survivor.

Two horses I have are starving to death in a grassy pasture. What do they eat?

Horses eat grass.  Your pasture may not have enough grass remaining for them.

Is there anything that lets items through but not water? This is to be placed at the bottom  of a drowning pit.

No.  Floor grates will let water through but not objects, but there's nothing that will magically let objects through but not water.

For defensive purposes, what type of bridge is better in terms of pulling it out from under enemies? It seems a retracting rather than raising bridge, since that one doesn't fling them to potential safety.

Retracting bridges throw creatures up to 3 tiles away.  Raising bridges throw creatures up to 11 tiles away.  Either can throw a creature to safety, but raising bridges throw further.  You can help prevent creatures from being thrown to safety by surrounding the bridge with walls.

Retracting floor grates and floor hatches don't throw creatures at all, but each one only covers a single tile, and they're vulnerable to building-destroyers.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: March 22, 2011, 05:27:06 pm »

A fall of 12 Z-levels should be fatal to anything.  A fall of 8 Z-levels will kill almost anything, but may leave the occasional mangled survivor.

This can be remedied by paving the bottom of the pit with spikes.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: March 22, 2011, 05:31:43 pm »

so, can you not train pets? i just got a migrant with sword skill so i drafted him into the military, and right behind him marched his untrained dog...i hit train war dogs and it said none are available >.>

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: March 22, 2011, 05:35:49 pm »

Hm, my map only lets me go down 40ish Z levels, is that the limit? I heard it was in the hundreds.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9914 on: March 22, 2011, 05:49:41 pm »

so, can you not train pets? i just got a migrant with sword skill so i drafted him into the military, and right behind him marched his untrained dog...i hit train war dogs and it said none are available >.>
You can't train pets, no.

Hm, my map only lets me go down 40ish Z levels, is that the limit? I heard it was in the hundreds.
It varies.  I've seen maps only about 40 Z-levels deep, and I've seen maps over 100.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 1178