Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116566 times)

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9870 on: March 20, 2011, 08:46:06 pm »

I started a new fort (because I can) and early on I got a "friendly" speardwarf that started handing out the Armok to some giant capybaras in the area.  He got wounded and wandered off-screen.  Where did this guy randomly come from?  I had a caravan leaving just when I noticed him, but he wasn't part of the caravan...he was just some strange dwarf on a pilgrimage of blood.  Is that normal dwarfy?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: March 20, 2011, 08:54:22 pm »

He was part of the caravan, he just was an idiot and forgot to leave.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9872 on: March 20, 2011, 10:24:11 pm »

I have a "P" next to the goblins at the civ screen....am I at peace with the goblins? 40 military strong and all I look forward to is the occasional megabeast? :/
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:04 pm »

I've embarked on a tropical shrubland recently, and I just noticed that elephants can spawn there. They haven't yet, thankfully... but are they hostile by default? I'd hate to be Boatmurdered by those evil pachyderms.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9874 on: March 20, 2011, 10:33:32 pm »

I've embarked on a tropical shrubland recently, and I just noticed that elephants can spawn there. They haven't yet, thankfully... but are they hostile by default? I'd hate to be Boatmurdered by those evil pachyderms.

Dwarves are scared of elephants (and about every other animal that gets too close) but elephants are just as scared of dwarves. They aren't hostile, but if you attack one they can get quite nasty.

Hunters seem to kill them just fine, but assign one at your own risk.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: March 20, 2011, 10:52:52 pm »

Or you could just catch them in cage traps and let them starve. They'd starve anyway, as they can't feed themselves fast enough, but if you don't trap them somehow, they'll probably leave the map before they die.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: March 20, 2011, 11:47:43 pm »

I have a "P" next to the goblins at the civ screen....am I at peace with the goblins?
P just means 'not actively at war'. Goblins will always be hostile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: March 21, 2011, 03:14:40 am »

Could someone tell me how I remove upright spear traps? I suspect I made my danger room a little to dangerous as its not only mangling my dwarf's pets but also my fully armored dwarfs.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: March 21, 2011, 06:14:48 am »

alright, so i found cotton candy...now when i hit mine, it gives me the warm stone warning, but at the point im at, the warm stone is either above or below the layer of cotton candy im digging in. now, if i dig out that cotton candy, will the magma come down?

also, how does one safely remove cotton candy when its surrounded by magma?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:47:11 am by Renzuko »

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:54 am »

Could someone tell me how I remove upright spear traps? I suspect I made my danger room a little to dangerous as its not only mangling my dwarf's pets but also my fully armored dwarfs.

Q, hover cursor over the spear trap, press x.

Incidentally, did you use training spears, or actual spears? 'cuz there's a difference.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: March 21, 2011, 06:49:46 am »

I have a "P" next to the goblins at the civ screen....am I at peace with the goblins?
That's not quite accurate. It has been reported, even in this version, that it's possible to get a goblin caravan.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: March 21, 2011, 07:31:08 am »

Q, hover cursor over the spear trap, press x.

Incidentally, did you use training spears, or actual spears? 'cuz there's a difference.

I think I used training spears but I'm starting to think maybe a iron spear got inside too as all the "incidents" so far appears to be in/around the same tile. Built another danger room with only 1 spear/tile instead of 5 per trap to reduce the amount of training my doctors get.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: March 21, 2011, 08:20:03 am »

It will show P even if the goblins are hostile. I don't know what it would take to spawn a goblin caravan.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: March 21, 2011, 08:37:08 am »

That's not quite accurate. It has been reported, even in this version, that it's possible to get a goblin caravan.
I had this once. Then a goblin siege appeared as they left  :D
they got creamed, but still funny
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: March 21, 2011, 09:56:36 am »

Huh, wonder what causes that.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1178