Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116350 times)

Psychron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9765 on: March 17, 2011, 03:38:23 pm »

I have my own question.
One of my dwarves, a spinner, got injured during a cave-in.
However, once he got to the hospital, and started resting in his hospital bed, the "Need Diagnosis" symbol in the health screen disappeared. And no, he was not diagnosed.
I'm not sure what to do. I made sure that my chief medical dwarf had no other labors than medical-dwarfing, but he has no job.
What do I do?
Should I injure him again?

[edit] On a side note, it's winter and i'm out of sourced water. Is there any way I can mod booze to be used to my invalids?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:58:07 pm by Psychron »
"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
"Instead of a trap door, what about a trap window? The guy looks out it, and if he leans too far, he falls out. Wait. I guess that's like a regular window."
"Don't ever get your speedometer confused with your clock, like I did once, because the faster you go the later you think you are."

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9766 on: March 17, 2011, 03:46:57 pm »

Ok, I've hit a rather perplexing FPS problem. I have a forgotten beast that comes along and destroys a wooden door I have out for the giant cave spiders and every time it does, my FPS drops from about 40 to about 10. I've save-scummed 3 times and it always works the same way. Ideas?

There are a bunch of creatures on the other side of that door who are now attempting to path into your fortress. Alternatively (or in addition), there are a bunch of webs on the other side of that door and a million of your dwarves are now attempting to path to them.

Turn off auto-web collecting and if it stops happening, it was the second option. To solve the first option, send an army into the caverns and slaughter everything.
A quick rearranging of the doors shows that's actually not it. The FPS drop happened again as soon as the FB was injured even if he never destroyed a door. I guess I can just destroy him with DF Hack and hope that does it, I've killed about 5 now but I'm rather curious as to what could possibly cause it.

EDIT: Or not. Apparently putting obsidian on it doesn't kill it. Is there a way to edit something out?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:03:06 pm by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: March 17, 2011, 04:52:27 pm »

So for my first-ever encrusting experiment, I decided to encrust chests.  So I built a furniture stockpile by my jeweler's.  Strangely enough, there doesn't seem to be an entry for "chest" in the filter list for the stockpile.  Enabling "cabinets" doesn't work, and neither does "bins."  I don't want to do "boxes and bags" because it will become filled with bags.  What do I do?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: March 17, 2011, 05:20:26 pm »

So for my first-ever encrusting experiment, I decided to encrust chests.  So I built a furniture stockpile by my jeweler's.  Strangely enough, there doesn't seem to be an entry for "chest" in the filter list for the stockpile.  Enabling "cabinets" doesn't work, and neither does "bins."  I don't want to do "boxes and bags" because it will become filled with bags.  What do I do?
Boxes and bags. Forbid cloth, yarn, leather materials, allow everything else.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9769 on: March 17, 2011, 06:38:50 pm »

Which version included the changable parameter for mineral scarcity? Just downloaded .21 on this comp and I can't by golly seem to find it.

It's in the top few tags for each world in the worldgen file. MINERAL_SCARCITY
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: March 17, 2011, 08:31:17 pm »

I've seen in some DF LP's, people have the specific names of stones and metals show up instead of just 'deep metals' 'shallow metals' 'flux stone' etc. Is there a setting where that can be toggled?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: March 17, 2011, 09:00:49 pm »

I'm having this really weird problem where, after lots of stockpiles had been flooded, dwarves seem unwilling to pick up ores or bars that had been moved or made wet or muddy or something due to the flood. The stockpile areas are dry now but they seem to think that the ores or bars don't exist or something, causing many job cancellations. I can't understand it. Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

Never mind, it was a washing pool blocking off pathing through the fortress.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:11:42 pm by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: March 17, 2011, 09:08:44 pm »

I've seen in some DF LP's, people have the specific names of stones and metals show up instead of just 'deep metals' 'shallow metals' 'flux stone' etc. Is there a setting where that can be toggled?
No, they'll be from .18 or earlier.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9773 on: March 17, 2011, 11:08:14 pm »

I have an epic 30 second movie of my military training filmed from the DF moving thingy. How do I upload it to show off my archers epic doing what I told them to do?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9774 on: March 17, 2011, 11:12:32 pm »

does it matter who you appoint to become a baron/ess? i might just make my mayor baron just to make it easier in not having to reassign my best area lol

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9775 on: March 17, 2011, 11:35:54 pm »

Usually I like to pick somebody who likes stuff easy to make since they will be mandating a lot of it when they get to be Duke. If you care about it then you can pick one with kids so there will be an heir.

Does anyone know exactly how many people you need to get a Monarch, and if it can be modded? The wiki says 140, the init file says you can get everything at 100 and in past forum posts I've seen 120 cited.
Memento Mori

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: March 17, 2011, 11:38:52 pm »

I have my own question.
One of my dwarves, a spinner, got injured during a cave-in.
However, once he got to the hospital, and started resting in his hospital bed, the "Need Diagnosis" symbol in the health screen disappeared. And no, he was not diagnosed.
I'm not sure what to do. I made sure that my chief medical dwarf had no other labors than medical-dwarfing, but he has no job.
What do I do?
Should I injure him again?

I think this happened to me once when I had a Novice diagnoser, I guess he didn't find anything (wrong diagnosis).

Instead of re-injuring, I've had good results from just unbuilding the hospital bed, forcing him to wake up and move to another empty bed in the same hospital - whereupon he would either get up and stop Resting, or decide he's really injured and go to another bed in the same hospital with Need Diagnosis back on.

No idea on the booze for invalids, but I doubt it's moddable as it seems hardcoded.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: March 17, 2011, 11:42:51 pm »

does it matter who you appoint to become a baron/ess? i might just make my mayor baron just to make it easier in not having to reassign my best area lol

In a tiny way and in a modest way.

The tiny way is that your baron does the negotiating with other civs. So his/her social skills might play a role there. But really, any true dwarf's response to diplomacy is "bring it on, pointy-ears" and hoping for war. So it isn't really important.

The modest way is that the baron's personal preferences and likes factor, strongly, into the mandates they hand down. If you get a baron who likes platinum and loves floodgates, you'll get demands for platinum floodgates. If they have a favorite color, they'll want things made from materials of that color. So a "good" baron is one who likes doors and ores that are superabundant on your map, and a "bad" baron is one who likes adamantium and floor grates. (Unless you have a boatload of adamantium and were planning on making a really bitchin' drainage system anyway.)

Basically, either go through your dwarves before the elevation occurs and pick the one who seems the least demanding/matches up to what you were planning to do anyway, OR just pick someone at random and then deal with their whining demands by ignoring them and putting up with their unhappiness bump. Unhappiness from unmet demands is real but is also usually compensated for by the fact that the baron lives in a freakin' palace with gold furniture ANYWAY.

I used to do the just-make-it-the-mayor thing but it can cause inconveniences in that your dwarves elect a new mayor and the will of the (tiny, drunken, beard-heavy) people does change periodically, so every year you have to go back in and override democracy to make the baron the mayor again.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: March 17, 2011, 11:55:06 pm »

Does a raised bridge, raised underneath a hole, block liquid from falling through the hole, as a wall does?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: March 17, 2011, 11:56:04 pm »

Does fort location in the world matter?  I know it makes sense, but is it actually true that a fort placed near a goblin site will generally see more goblin attacks than one that is far away from goblin sites?  If so, does it matter if a human or elven site is "between" your fort and the goblin place?  Related: does it matter how far a fort is away from the general location of your home civilization, for purposes of stuff like rate or size of migrant waves?

One more: when choosing a site, the list of trade-available other races or species or whatever (not the civilizations you can choose, but the list like Dwarven, Elven, Human, and Goblins) is arranged in descending order, with the nearest on the top, right?  Dwarven's always at the top, but do the others go like this?  Or what is it?  Several times, I've put the cursor right on a clearly human or elven site, and seen that they were not at the top of the list, right below Dwarven.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:59:14 pm by obeliab »
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 1178