Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116286 times)

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9750 on: March 17, 2011, 05:09:02 am »

If you kill a lot of goblins, will the goblin cities / civilization feel an impact? Does the world change while you play? Is there even a world once you're in fortress mode?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: March 17, 2011, 05:36:04 am »

If you kill a lot of goblins, will the goblin cities / civilization feel an impact? Does the world change while you play? Is there even a world once you're in fortress mode?
World doesn't change/advance in fortress mode, no. So while there are other civilizations out there, you'll only encounter at most one human civ, one elven civ, one goblin civ, one dwarf civ (the mountainhome), plus whatever might be in the caverns.

I've heard tell that knocking out the leaders of a hostile civ won't make a difference; they'll just replace the dead leader with a new one after a few years. Whether that was specific to adventure mode or not I'm not sure.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: March 17, 2011, 08:02:07 am »

short question but important to me :)

is there a way in DF to locate stockpiles, other than to randomly pick an associated item from the stocks menu ?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: March 17, 2011, 09:10:53 am »

If I use a setup like this:
Code: [Select]
CCCCCCCCCCCC
CbbbbbbbbbbC
CbbbbbbbbbbC
CbbbbbbbbbbC
CCCCCCCCCCCC
C = Closed bridge
b = retractable bridge

Will the retractable bridge get destroyed if I obsidianize on it? Will I be able to retract the bridge?
yes, no.

is there a way in DF to locate stockpiles, other than to randomly pick an associated item from the stocks menu ?
not afaik. they flash when your cursor is over them when making a new one, though.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: March 17, 2011, 10:43:57 am »

h f(1-12) z.
Press f(1-12) to zoom back.
Not exactly what your asking for, but about the best you gonna get AFAIK.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: March 17, 2011, 12:42:03 pm »

Ok, I've hit a rather perplexing FPS problem. I have a forgotten beast that comes along and destroys a wooden door I have out for the giant cave spiders and every time it does, my FPS drops from about 40 to about 10. I've save-scummed 3 times and it always works the same way. Ideas?
Memento Mori

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: March 17, 2011, 12:50:18 pm »

Ok, I've hit a rather perplexing FPS problem. I have a forgotten beast that comes along and destroys a wooden door I have out for the giant cave spiders and every time it does, my FPS drops from about 40 to about 10. I've save-scummed 3 times and it always works the same way. Ideas?

There are a bunch of creatures on the other side of that door who are now attempting to path into your fortress. Alternatively (or in addition), there are a bunch of webs on the other side of that door and a million of your dwarves are now attempting to path to them.

Turn off auto-web collecting and if it stops happening, it was the second option. To solve the first option, send an army into the caverns and slaughter everything.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: March 17, 2011, 01:23:42 pm »

Which version included the changable parameter for mineral scarcity? Just downloaded .21 on this comp and I can't by golly seem to find it.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: March 17, 2011, 01:26:37 pm »

uh... it's the last thing in worldgen ;)
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: March 17, 2011, 01:29:47 pm »

I searched for it. Nothing. Ran a search on "mineral" and "scarcity" (separately) in the world_gen document under init, but I have naught to show for it but mild annoyance.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9760 on: March 17, 2011, 02:01:50 pm »

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: March 17, 2011, 02:07:39 pm »

yeah at the bottom of that ^^
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: March 17, 2011, 02:50:11 pm »

Oh, so you can't set it if you use advanced parameters?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: March 17, 2011, 03:02:27 pm »

not sure... please go check, that would help making the LNP lazy newb (easy) world...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: March 17, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »

R off the main screen for the 'rooms' page. It lists stockpiles and workshops too. There's a minimap to the right that shows a whole z-level with an X where the 'room' is, but it would be far more useful if it told you what z-level you were looking at.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 1178