Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116285 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9735 on: March 16, 2011, 03:43:38 pm »

If the creature wasn't a tame animal belonging to your fortress, isn't rotted, is large enough to butcher, and isn't intelligent, then you should be able to butcher it, even if it was killed by your soldiers or traps or whatever.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: March 16, 2011, 04:16:12 pm »

If one of my dorf dips gets forgotten beast crap in it, do I risk the spread of contagion?
Memento Mori

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: March 16, 2011, 05:09:30 pm »

It occurred to me recently that trees don't seem to grow on tiles assigned as stockpiles. Or are they, but simply obscured? I was wondering if this could be used to stop certain tunnels from clogging up with trees.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: March 16, 2011, 05:35:55 pm »

It occurred to me recently that trees don't seem to grow on tiles assigned as stockpiles. Or are they, but simply obscured? I was wondering if this could be used to stop certain tunnels from clogging up with trees.

They don't and it can. They'll even stop growing if still in sprout mode. But you can't build a stockpile over an existing full-grown tree. It's a bit of a realism hole, since things like smoothed floors *don't* stop growth.

"What are you doing, Urist?"
"Laying down aSmoothing this nice marble floor so that this sluiceway won't get overgrown."
"That won't work. To make trees and bushes stop growing you have to intend to store socks here."
"Huh?"
"Yeah. Just think hard about how this tunnel will be Sock Storage Depot #13."
"OK....done."
"Now nothing will ever grow here again."
"Praise Armok, for his ways are mysterious and somewhat illogical!"

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:34:43 am by bobhayes »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: March 16, 2011, 06:37:40 pm »

Constructed floors do block the growth of trees.  Smoothed floors don't.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: March 16, 2011, 06:44:48 pm »

Well smoothed floors with no mud on them won't support trees.

Thanks for the advice, this is going to help me keep my emergency escape tunnel/goblin lure tunnel open.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9741 on: March 16, 2011, 07:30:44 pm »

Just make sure that the stockpile isn't actually going to have anything stored in it (I usually use coin stockpiles since I never make coins) and that no bins/barrels are being stored in it. I forget the bin/barrel part and had 5 dwarves trying to bring bins to stockpiles up an irrigation canal that was being flooded by a river.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: March 16, 2011, 08:56:51 pm »

I just had a cat adopt someone while the game was paused. Is this supposed to happen?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: March 16, 2011, 08:59:29 pm »

It's probably not supposed to, but it does.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: March 16, 2011, 09:04:46 pm »

OK. Well, we've already got quantum mechanics, I guess we can have time-traveling cats too. It's just irritating.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: March 16, 2011, 09:07:11 pm »

I've also noticed that while navigating screens while paused, you can be interrupted by liason/trader messages.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: March 16, 2011, 10:30:40 pm »

Time does in fact pass while the game is paused. I think certain commands/actions allow one or two ticks to go by while the game switches screens or does something. I've had dwarves haul things, start moods, die, and many other things go on while I'm paused for lengthy periods.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: March 17, 2011, 01:13:16 am »

I've sometimes read about dwarves more-or-less randomly falling off of walkways and platforms, but I've never seen this outside of dodging and untimely digging.  Can this really happen?  How does it happen?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: March 17, 2011, 01:30:06 am »

I've sometimes read about dwarves more-or-less randomly falling off of walkways and platforms, but I've never seen this outside of dodging and untimely digging.  Can this really happen?  How does it happen?

dodging can be triggered by tame animals (even more so now), so that helps. I know that slipping because of mud is planned, but I don't ever recall hearing it was in.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: March 17, 2011, 04:52:10 am »

If I use a setup like this:
Code: [Select]
CCCCCCCCCCCC
CbbbbbbbbbbC
CbbbbbbbbbbC
CbbbbbbbbbbC
CCCCCCCCCCCC
C = Closed bridge
b = retractable bridge

Will the retractable bridge get destroyed if I obsidianize on it? Will I be able to retract the bridge?
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 1178