Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116251 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9705 on: March 15, 2011, 08:28:06 am »

Q: How do I get rid of leftover water in buckets?
For some reason, my dwarfs are trying to drown each other in their sleep (I can only asume it's for that reason, since none of my dwarfs are bedridden and my booze stockpiles are bursting.), but then the job is canceled because the victim caught attention. Resulting in a few dozen units of "stagnant water" (along with one unit of lye) blocking my buckets.
I've found that when a dwarf milks a milkable animal, they'll dump out any water in the bucket before doing the milking.  So if you have an active dairy farm going, your buckets will be routinely emptied of stagnant water.  Admittedly, a dairy is a lot less convenient to set up now that grazing is in.  I have also heard that is possible to get your dwarves to dump the water out in other ways, but I have never managed this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9706 on: March 15, 2011, 08:43:52 am »

Archery targets are really effective at increasing the marksdwarf skill, though.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9707 on: March 15, 2011, 09:58:19 am »

Archery targets are really effective at increasing the marksdwarf skill, though.
YES.
Especially when they have nothing else to due (due to no barracks :D)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9708 on: March 15, 2011, 12:25:45 pm »

Two quick things:

- The wiki says that having warm stone (i.e. a reservoir of magma) underneath above-ground water will prevent it from freezing, but will it also increase the water's rate of evaporation?
- Is there any benefit to having heated water in a dorfbath (bonus happy thoughts) or is it just being cleaned + mist that they like?
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9709 on: March 15, 2011, 01:28:52 pm »

- The wiki says that having warm stone (i.e. a reservoir of magma) underneath above-ground water will prevent it from freezing, but will it also increase the water's rate of evaporation?
- Is there any benefit to having heated water in a dorfbath (bonus happy thoughts) or is it just being cleaned + mist that they like?

No - water doesn't really evaporate per se. Levels higher than 1/7 flow onto adjoining tiles of lower level if they can. A 1/7 tile has a chance of disappearing, which simulates evaporation, but AFAIK environmental factors do not change the % chance that it will evaporate on a given tick. And levels higher than 1 don't disappear, they just try to flow. A basin full of 2/7 water will never evaporate if it can't flow off somewhere. (A basin of 1s and 2s will eventually dry up, because when a 1 disappears it creates a space for a 2 to flow in.)

There are no heated water happy thoughts on the canonical happy thoughts lists, so I don't THINK a warm bath does any unique good - but it ought to. Stick that in the suggestions forum.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9710 on: March 15, 2011, 04:03:33 pm »

Every water tile below 4/7 evaporates.

Actually, strike that.   Double checked on this one, and you're right. I was sure it would evaporate at 3/7 :-/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:15:15 pm by Haekel »

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9711 on: March 15, 2011, 04:21:51 pm »

Actually, strike that.   Double checked on this one, and you're right. I was sure it would evaporate at 3/7 :-/

I been flooding a lot of whole Z-levels lately. I like tree farms.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9712 on: March 15, 2011, 04:37:43 pm »

Even 7/7 can evaporate if the biome is hot enough and the tile is outside/aboveground (not sure which might be required). Season also has an impact. Summertime in a tropical scorching area usually results in empty murky pools.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9713 on: March 15, 2011, 04:55:31 pm »

Even 7/7 can evaporate if the biome is hot enough and the tile is outside/aboveground (not sure which might be required). Season also has an impact. Summertime in a tropical scorching area usually results in empty murky pools.

From what I have seen, this is a seasonal change akin to all the water freezing rather than the fluid mechanics at play. IOW, a special case that runs at season change on murky pool tiles rather than as a part of the temperature code. 2/7 water not in a murky pool, doesn't go anywhere.

But now I have to run some tests to make sure :)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #9714 on: March 15, 2011, 04:59:32 pm »

So I have a war bear I want to bury, as he just died from inflicted wounds, and nobody seems to be taking him to the coffin.

Will dwarves not bury war animals?

Edit: Also the coffin is set to accept both pets and citizens.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:03:21 pm by Seriyu »

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9715 on: March 15, 2011, 05:04:46 pm »

So I have a war bear I want to bury, as he just died from inflicted wounds, and nobody seems to be taking him to the coffin.

Will dwarves not bury war animals?

Edit: Also the coffin is set to accept both pets and citizens.

If he wasn't a pet, he doesn't go into a coffin. You'll have to build a bear mausoleum with a refuse stockpile inside it to commemorate his brave sacrifice.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #9716 on: March 15, 2011, 05:30:36 pm »

He was assigned to the militia commander before he died. He got a negative thought and everything. Does that affect it?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9717 on: March 15, 2011, 06:57:26 pm »

I he had a name he was a pet. If he was called Stray War Bear or whatever he wasn't.
Memento Mori

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9718 on: March 15, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »

not necessarily, if a creature gets kills i think they get a name, i have a stray cat with a name, likely because my 15x15 rock storage/trade depot was covered in gray/red squirrel and roach corpses >.>

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9719 on: March 15, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »

Vermin kills don't count.

Stray animals also get names if they were formerly pets, but their owner died.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 1178