Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116228 times)

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9660 on: March 14, 2011, 04:22:45 am »

EDIT: i just caught a minotaur, and when i check his status it says that he is a caged guest. what should i do with him?

1. Build him a playroom,with the entrance in the ceiling.
2. drop him in there, (the floating cage method works best)
3. introduce him to any other uninvited guests.
4. Take bets on the outcome.
5. Profit!
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

alec1988

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: March 14, 2011, 04:25:20 am »

so i was recently attacked by some gobblins or what not. anyway a couple of my guys got injured, but for some reason my lazy ass doctors are not doing anything. i have like 5, i also built a hospital and theres a guy there who wants to be tied down or something like that. i have a traction bench but still nothing. i also have a chief medical dwarf but again the lazy ass doesnt seem to want to do anything. any help? also thanks for the help on my last question.

EDIT: i just caught a minotaur, and when i check his status it says that he is a caged guest. what should i do with him?

Is your hospital stocked? Does it have cloth, thread, plaster, etc.?

no it has none of that. just some buckets i think. where can i make that stuff? i  have a loom but when ever i add a task to it it disappears. not sure how that works.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: March 14, 2011, 04:57:29 am »

SO!!! i got my mayor finally (almost a year after hitting 50 men, and a good 3 immigrant waves after >.>) it ended up being my expedition leader, and i hadnt actually given him a personal dining room or bedroom, but id prepared for it (3 rooms smoothed and engraved by a legendary+5 engraver).

when i checked to see what i was supposed to put into his bedroom, i saw he made a mandate...3 trifle pewter items. df wiki lists trifle pewter as construction only, not crafts or anything akin to that...so, does my mayor need to have an...unfortunate accident, or would like, a 3 section wall be fine?

also annoyingly...i dont even have any trifle pewter, i caught a bunch of goblin snatchers in my opening cage trap line, and melted down all of their copper items, ending up with 3 copper bars, HOPING that a caravan comes by with something out of tin...the only ore i've found so far is hematite, and the only reason i have pig iron is because i've been asking dwarven caravan for flux stone

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: March 14, 2011, 05:03:08 am »

If the mandate just says "Make three trifle pewter items" You can complete that by making bars.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: March 14, 2011, 05:09:16 am »

sweet thanks, now i need to either, find tin ore, or...wait a really long ass time for the caravan to bring me enough tin -.-;;

i gotta find something to sell to caravans now...i've run out of gems in my currently dug areas, and while i can dig to find more, its kinda annoying having 3 legendary miners and thats it lol

PlaySegaWithHarrisonFord

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody wants to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: March 14, 2011, 06:45:33 am »

Approximately how far down can i expect to hit a cavern?  I like to plan ahead...
The shuttle program, which was originally conceived as a method for mining adamantine from space, ran into problems following the !!Challenger!! and !!Columbia!! accidents.  The fun was later blamed on gremlin saboteurs.  When questioned on the matter, NASA administrator Urist McZefram was quoted as saying, "more blood for the blood god!"

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: March 14, 2011, 07:50:37 am »

oo oo oo, can i like, slaughter goblins and other things that attack me? like process them for their skin and stuff? my entranceway is getting cluttered with goblin corpses, but they're still outside so my dwarves just ignore them

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: March 14, 2011, 08:02:02 am »

oo oo oo, can i like, slaughter goblins and other things that attack me? like process them for their skin and stuff? my entranceway is getting cluttered with goblin corpses, but they're still outside so my dwarves just ignore them

You can, but only if your make your dwarves being able to butcher sentients. I have done it a while ago, and as a result my fortresses usually are drowing in meat/bones. Go into entity_default.txt in the raws, and mod these under the dwarf entry

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]

to these

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]

You will have to create a new world for it though.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: March 14, 2011, 08:03:54 am »

mhmmm....*glares at the text* so...id be making my dwarves more...elfish...nope, im kinda considering clear cutting my map right now just so that when the elves come eventually and ask me to limit my tree cutting i'll have a huge stockpile anyway

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: March 14, 2011, 08:22:24 am »

a couple of my guys got injured, but for some reason my lazy ass doctors are not doing anything. i have like 5, i also built a hospital and theres a guy there who wants to be tied down or something like that. i have a traction bench but still nothing. i also have a chief medical dwarf but again the lazy ass doesnt seem to want to do anything.

Health care, simplified version: dig out a room.  Mark it as a hospital zone using (i).  Build beds in it.  Build a couple coffers to store things.  Dwarves will store cloth, thread, soap, splints, etc. there.

Enlist some dwarf as your chief medical dwarf.  I don't know what that position actually means or does, other than enabling the Health menu on the (z) screen, but that's certainly nice to have.

Make sure at least one dwarf has the Diagnosis labor enabled.  And at least one dwarf should have each of the other healthcare labors enabled, too, if those will be required for your patients.

When the wounded dwarves are Resting in bed, (v)iew them and check their health status (v -> z -> h).  This gives you the most details.  Arrow left and right through the screens.  If the dwarf hasn't been looked at by the diagnostician yet, it'll say "waiting for diagnosis" or something like that on one of them.  If the dwarf has been looked at, that screen will tell you what procedures need to be performed.

If your dwarf needs traction, make sure the traction bench is built right next to his bed.  (If necessary, remove and re-build the bench closer to the bed.)  This gives you the best chance of getting the dwarf to the traction bench without him waking up and aborting the job.  You may also want to perform the traction in a locked room, so no meddling dwarves will think he's out of his bed and needs help getting back into it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: March 14, 2011, 09:18:34 am »

Approximately how far down can i expect to hit a cavern?  I like to plan ahead...

It's usually 10-15 z-levels down but can vary enormously from that.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: March 14, 2011, 09:22:22 am »

It's usually 10-15 z-levels down but can vary enormously from that.

I once ran into them 7 down. ruined my 10-level dodge-this trap. :(

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:20 am »

alright, wtf...i appointed one of my militia captains to be captain of the guard, cuz he has the highest kill count at a grand total of 3(some of my stray cats have names longer then his for god sakes) and suddenly, i see that he has almost killed the mason who is working on building his armor rack and such, any idea WHY THE F*CK HE DID THAT!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9673 on: March 14, 2011, 09:56:40 am »

Check your Justice screen.  It is likely that your mason had a pending punishment against him for failure to meet a production mandate.  To prevent this from happening in the future, try to meet production mandates, and build a jail so criminals can be imprisoned rather than being beaten.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: March 14, 2011, 10:07:50 am »

hm, the only mandate i could think of that my mason didnt do, would be not making the captain of the guards furniture for his room fast enough...

so yeah, him being a one armed dwarf now, is he pretty much useless now for making stone things? he was the closest i got to a legendary mason for f*ck sakes ;.;
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:26:43 am by Renzuko »
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 1178