Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116073 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #9600 on: March 11, 2011, 07:29:35 pm »

I've noticed that birds will only hang out on a nest box if there are eggs to hatch. Once the eggs are removed they start wandering around until the next time they feel like laying eggs again. I suspect this behavior is a result of the bugfixing Toady did in regards to nestboxes.

I hadn't played long enough on that fort (changed computers, didn't take the save) to see if the birds ever laid a second batch of eggs. That sounds plausible, but just to confirm - you have had birds reclaim nestboxes after leaving them, yes?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9601 on: March 11, 2011, 07:33:36 pm »

I have had egg-laying creatures lay eggs approximately every season.  They claim a nest box, lay an egg, sit on it until a dwarf shows up and takes the egg, then wander around for a season or so until it's time to lay an egg again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: March 11, 2011, 07:42:08 pm »

I've noticed that birds will only hang out on a nest box if there are eggs to hatch. Once the eggs are removed they start wandering around until the next time they feel like laying eggs again. I suspect this behavior is a result of the bugfixing Toady did in regards to nestboxes.

I hadn't played long enough on that fort (changed computers, didn't take the save) to see if the birds ever laid a second batch of eggs. That sounds plausible, but just to confirm - you have had birds reclaim nestboxes after leaving them, yes?

I can confirm. First season I forbade one clutch of eggs. That turkey hen sat on them until they hatched, while the other hens that were relieved of their eggs went to chill in my meeting hall. Some indeterminate time later I found all the turkeys on their nest boxes again, since my food stockpiles didn't have the room for more eggs.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: March 11, 2011, 07:54:52 pm »

Is there a worldgen parameter setting that would reduce the amount of Semi Molten rock I have?  I usually get 20 or so layers of it, and it's pointless to have.  Would I have to remove bottom layer, magma layer, or both?

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: March 11, 2011, 08:23:45 pm »

I'm experimenting with major amounts of machinery for the first time (sixty-level magma pump stack, needs power) and my question is whether a gear assembly can be linked to any tile of a water wheel, or whether it has to be the central one? I'm looking to transfer power from a water reactor to my stack.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: March 11, 2011, 08:29:44 pm »

Is there a worldgen parameter setting that would reduce the amount of Semi Molten rock I have?  I usually get 20 or so layers of it, and it's pointless to have.  Would I have to remove bottom layer, magma layer, or both?
I'm pretty sure removing the Magma layer will remove both the magma and the SMR. I've never turned the bottom layer off before, so I wouldn't know about that. I imagine it would, though.

My question: Will grass (above or below-ground) grow on constructed and muddied floors?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9606 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:37 pm »

I'm experimenting with major amounts of machinery for the first time (sixty-level magma pump stack, needs power) and my question is whether a gear assembly can be linked to any tile of a water wheel, or whether it has to be the central one? I'm looking to transfer power from a water reactor to my stack.

Only the center tile of a water wheel is mechanically connected, so you will have to support and power the waterwheel from the center.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: March 11, 2011, 08:56:40 pm »

A candidate for baron is pretty good except that he likes coral, which I don't think exists. Will that be ignored or will dwarves be getting beaten for not making impossible stuff?
Memento Mori

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9608 on: March 11, 2011, 10:06:43 pm »

Coral mandates don't happen.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: March 11, 2011, 10:32:18 pm »

I lost the mud on my farm tiles. (We didn't need to irrigate each years ?)
It the first time I see that, my farm lost 1/3 mud on they tiles. I have a large stock of food and drink, but it annoying.

Any ideas?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: March 11, 2011, 11:12:38 pm »

I lost the mud on my farm tiles. (We didn't need to irrigate each years ?)
It the first time I see that, my farm lost 1/3 mud on they tiles. I have a large stock of food and drink, but it annoying.

Any ideas?

You don't need to irrigate yearly. Did you have combat nearby? If there is blood or vomit on the ground the dwarves will clean it, cleaning the mud in the process. If you smooth the stone the mud will also go away.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: March 11, 2011, 11:40:22 pm »

Haven't played since .18; started up a new fort with the newest version and brought some llamas along. Cause, you know, llamas rock.

Gave them a decent-sized pasture, and they're loving it. Then the first wave of migrants come in the summer, along with a cow calf, a horse, and a donkey, and the grass dries out as well (warmer biome, water all went poof).

Now I notice that the llamas, including the two llama calves that were born, are kicking the shit out of all the other animals, and each other. While they're not really accomplishing anything other than fat bruising, it's only a matter of time before the mason takes a hoof to the skull somehow. What's going on, and how can I change it?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: March 11, 2011, 11:42:49 pm »

Haven't played since .18; started up a new fort with the newest version and brought some llamas along. Cause, you know, llamas rock.

Gave them a decent-sized pasture, and they're loving it. Then the first wave of migrants come in the summer, along with a cow calf, a horse, and a donkey, and the grass dries out as well (warmer biome, water all went poof).

Now I notice that the llamas, including the two llama calves that were born, are kicking the shit out of all the other animals, and each other. While they're not really accomplishing anything other than fat bruising, it's only a matter of time before the mason takes a hoof to the skull somehow. What's going on, and how can I change it?

The pasture's too small...or the green part of the pasture may be. Animals that are Jostled too much get angry now, and start fighting. I suggest you butcher the uncool animals.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: March 11, 2011, 11:46:10 pm »

Right! Time to cull the herd. Need the plants for brewing anyway; meat for the meat-loving dwarves!
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: March 12, 2011, 02:13:09 am »

Hey, I have a bunch of livestock that were too dumb to stay outside with all the grass, and came inside to the barren meeting hall. I sent them outside into a pasture, but three still died. What gives?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 1178